Solutions to complete the Season (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueTam

I have a solution for completing the season in all leagues.

The problem we have is TIME, now I doubt the season is going to restart for many months, so in order to explain my solution, lets assume it restarts in August

First thing to note is that the transfer window will be October only & all current contract that are due to run out on 1st of July will be extended to 1st October.

The 2019-2020 season must restart and come to a natural completion, this will take 2 months to complete.

All clubs will then have October off while they do their transfer & loan business.

So here’s the thing, we don’t have enough time for a complete season in 2020-21, so what I suggest is that all leagues are split into 2 sections depending on where teams finished.

For example we will have Premier League (Section 1) of 10 clubs & Premier League (Section 2) of 10 clubs, relegation only happens from Premier League (Section 2), each club plays 18 games starting from November, major cup competitions can carry on as normal.

This arrangement is then reflected down all the leagues.

In the case of Coventry City hopefully when we get promoted we will end up in Championship (Section 2) with 12 other clubs and will play a 22 game season, starting from November.

The following season, everything is returned to normal.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sorry if this has been posted before but what’s the problem with playing all remaining matches behind closed doors and allowing all season ticket holders free access to I follow? They’d need to suspend the rule to allow watching in this country.
Also non ST holders could buy passes . I wouldn’t be surprised if the ‘crowds’ increased under this solution.
Not ideal of course but it would see the season out and give the club some revenue and they wouldn’t have to,pay for policing / stewards etc ..

The issue would be if a team had to self isolate because a member of staff had got it. Who plays for them? Their games have to get called off anyway. So by the time everyone else has played another 4-5 games they've still got all their to play and will have to play a lot of games in a short space or time while having not trained 'properly' and any of the squad who'd caught it would be almost certainly not be in a fit enough state to play - it's a recipe for poor form and injuries.

It's probably only a matter of time before every club will have been in isolation because someone had picked it up.

BCD may well end up being the option later on, but that's some time away yet.

CCFC88

First things first is the Uefa meeting tomorrow and they must cancel or postpone Euro 2020 to give leagues a chance. This is the obvious thing to do, but this is also Uefa

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

First things first is the Uefa meeting tomorrow and they must cancel or postpone Euro 2020 to give leagues a chance. This is the obvious thing to do, but this is also Uefa

You'd hope so but the thing will be £££.

At best it'll be postponed - no way would they cancel it entirely.

hill83

I’d they cancel the season I’m going to personally go walking about coughing on everyone I see including dogs and cats

I’d actually like to withdraw this comment. To be honest. Not that I was actually going to do it but this is serious serious shit now.

usskyblue

I’d actually like to withdraw this comment. To be honest. Not that I was actually going to do it but this is serious serious shit now.

giphy.gif

Gibbo

Lucky to be through this before end May at the earliest. So

2 games a week from mid-June and start the next season at the end of September
Run the next season until end of May (they did in '63)
Kill unnecessary cup competitions
Play FA Cup midweek - every round with penalty shootouts for draws
Temporary extension of all player contracts to new season end.
Begging bowls to Prem for small donations to keep clubs from going under. Some individual players could sponsor a club frankly they earn so much

wingy

Begging bowls to Prem for small donations to keep clubs from going under. Some individual players could sponsor a club frankly they earn so much
They really could

no_loyalty

Not ideal, but play all remaining matches behind closed doors, with all players, staff and officials wearing Hazmat suits.

Fergusons_Beard

Continue the season when they can-maybe even Sept.

After they have finished all fixtures (we should be around Christmas) either open transfer window and have a 2 -3 week break or no break. Which should suit the crap weather in winter and give players Xmas off.

Then...

Play next season as a ‘play every team only once’ with an even spread of home and away games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cov kid 55

Continue the season when they can-maybe even Sept.

After they have finished all fixtures (we should be around Christmas) either open transfer window and have a 2 -3 week break or no break. Which should suit the crap weather in winter and give players Xmas off.

Then...

Play next season as a ‘play every team only once’ with an even spread of home and away games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A positive UEFA meeting today, putting back EURO 2020, with the specific aim of enabling domestic leagues to be completed. And Championship teams met and unanimously agreed that the league should be completed.

ccfc1234

Just thinking of a way we could conclude the season. Understandably players are nervous of getting the virus, but why can't they test entire squads of players. Lock them down with their support staff in a local sports/hotel complex for a month and they then travel to games to play in front of the TV cameras behind closed doors?

Hotels and sporting facilities are empty so finding 92 venues for each club should not be an issue.

Plenty of people in the navy go away for 7 MONTHS at a time with little contact with the outside world. Therefore 4-6 weeks while not ideal should not be a huge issue for players?

The games would get huge viewing figures.

Some players like Rooney might have an issue but that is then up to the club to find a squad or a youth team player to take his place.

What do you think?

Magwitch

There are inevitably going to be knock on effects from all this, it’s been said for a long time the football bubble will burst wages wise and I believe it will start at the top. Sky money will stop, or reduce significantly, these massive contracts will change and the huge wages will end and that will cascade down the pyramid. I can see new rules to end the “sugar daddy” Man City/Chelsea type clubs ending.
For us at ccfc I think we might come out as we are and not too bad, having no ground means we have no overheads other than players and officials and there is some recently received transfer money somewhere player recruitment will change with “big” players looking for clubs and might just might bring about a solution to our Ricoh position.

Last edited:

kg82

There are inevitably going to be knock on effects from all this, it’s been said for a long time the football bubble will burst wages wise and I believe it will start at the top. Sky money will stop, or reduce significantly, these massive contracts will change and the huge wages will end and that will cascade down the pyramid. I can see new rules to end the “sugar daddy” Man City/Chelsea type clubs ending.
For us at ccfc I think we might come out as we are and not too bad, having no ground means we have no overheads other than players and officials and there is some recently received transfer money somewhere player recruitment will change with “big” players looking for clubs and might just might bring about a solution to our Ricoh position.

You’re right, it has been said for a long time... with literally nothing happening. If anything, at this time, clubs will need more benefactors, especially lower down the pyramid. I can’t see an end to it right now, I feel like you’re saying more out of hope than anything else.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It will happen eventually and although we've seen saturation point in the domestic market it is still increasing in popularity abroad. But that won't last forever either.

If/when it does I don't think there'll need to be new rules re sugar daddies because the two reasons they invest (either for the prestige and media exposure or to increase their wealth by providing high interest loans to the clubs etc) will have disappeared.

But they may bring them in anyway while they have the power over the clubs to do so. Same as it would probably be unnecessary to bring in squad caps etc because the finances would no longer be there to hoard so many players, but I'd do it anyway.

tommydazzle

It needs a radical solution so how about using scrabble values to determine final positions. Also importantly, the team in current first position gets a triple word score, the second place a double word score. There’s a triple letter score for third place and double letter for fourth. I haven’t worked any of this out but Coventry City with those two y’s and a v must do quite well. If you’re self isolating and bored .......

Philosorapter

Agree with this. We have decent models these days (this is your time @Philosorapter!), could even do one off relegation playoffs where it’s close at the same time if there’s complaints from clubs down the bottom. Wouldn’t leave much time for squad building for the promoted teams mind. But better than not going up at all, maybe extend the transfer window to make up for it.

Bring it on!

Philosorapter

I've got to point out something.

Next to zero ratings inflation. Just the teams moving on their respective paths. The balance in the total is excellent.

First time I have viewed this mechanic within the system.

It is not usually shown.

Last edited:

steve cooper

I have said all along that I don't think the season will be cancelled, long before the announcement by the FA / EFL / Premiership. I don't get why people think player contracts are an issue. The transfer window stays shut until the current season is completed, those players whose contracts end can sign short term open ended contracts with their club if player and club agree, but if one party wants to end the contract on the existing end date, the player leaves the club, but can only sign a pre-contract with another club, to come into force when the window opens. That will leave some players without income for a period of time, but it's no different to other contracted / self employed individuals in the IT / Construction industries etc. who have been layed off without pay, and no different to players out of contract who can't find another club.
Can anyone explain any other issue I may have overlooked?

Brighton Sky Blue

It needs a radical solution so how about using scrabble values to determine final positions. Also importantly, the team in current first position gets a triple word score, the second place a double word score. There’s a triple letter score for third place and double letter for fourth. I haven’t worked any of this out but Coventry City with those two y’s and a v must do quite well. If you’re self isolating and bored .......

Good job Zzzzzzzzzzzz Xxxx Utd got thrown out

wingy

I've got to point out something.

Next to zero ratings inflation. Just the teams moving on their respective paths. The balance in the total is excellent.

First time I have viewed this mechanic within the system.

It is not usually shown.
It's a thing of beauty.

covboy1987

Post your best solutions the EFL could use to avoid voiding the league if we get to a point where playing isnt an option.

(Thought I'd start a new thread as the other corona virus one had so many different angles being covered)
What ever times scale to takes to start again then they should still finish the season - the issue is - what they do after the mini season is finished is the real issue - EFL clubs have no european games to worry about - if it means not having a the fa cup and league cup & check a trade competition's for the following season then so be it

Alkhen

How would loans work, they are due back May. I hope there is a way of sorting an agreement across the board.

skybluesam66

so next season becomes a 34 game season
play everybody once, and then split the league, just playing teams in your own half

the 12 games saved will allow the new season to begin in October
This means the current season can finish at the end of july , with close season in August and September

Would need a coordinated decision though due to European games as there is no way they would cancel the champions league

Sky Blue Harry H

so next season becomes a 34 game season
play everybody once, and then split the league, just playing teams in your own half

the 12 games saved will allow the new season to begin in October
This means the current season can finish at the end of july , with close season in August and September

Would need a coordinated decision though due to European games as there is no way they would cancel the champions league

Unfair on the top half teams who will have done well to get where they are in the first half of the season. E.g. If you are 12th of 24 teams at ha;f way point, the team who finished 13 would have the second half of the season to play the weaker teams and would almost certainly accrue more points than the team in 12th place. Only works if you are saying the teams in each half cannot 'move' between halves in the second half of the season!?

skybluesam66

Unfair on the top half teams who will have done well to get where they are in the first half of the season. E.g. If you are 12th of 24 teams at ha;f way point, the team who finished 13 would have the second half of the season to play the weaker teams and would almost certainly accrue more points than the team in 12th place. Only works if you are saying the teams in each half cannot 'move' between halves in the second half of the season!?
Correct

shmmeee

Do the whole thing on FIFA 12mins a game, have it all over in an afternoon.

Obviously 11 v 11 with registered players.

Users who are viewing this thread