Solutions to complete the Season (3 Viewers)

Otis

Suspend the season and finish it whenever is possible. Start next season late and claw back the lost time by scrapping the league cup, checkatrade and international friendly breaks. Play WC qualifiers in close batches of multiple games
Mmmm.... batches.

standupforcity

Promote top two and go straight to play offs behind closed doors. And same with bottom four. Desperate I know but better than voiding the season. Hate this idea personally... so fingers crossed there's a fairer solution. Glad I'm not making the decisions..

skybluesam66

The premier league will finally have the power. Unfortunately they will probably protect their own and scrap relegation which will cascade down

Magwitch

I don’t get this, if as an example a track worker at the Jag gets the symptoms and virus they won’t shut the track down, the infected worker goes on the box some who work near him might self isolate and his spot and theirs on the track will be covered by re-deploying others, same with shop workers, NHS etc etc, unless the Government announces a complete lock down as some have things carry on football clubs are no different, it’s down to clubs to organise themselves differently, The Arsenal case is a bit different because some of the players met this chap, spoke too, shook hands with him who has now got the virus but by taking expert advice they should self isolate stay home get checked and if in the clear carry on. same with Chelsea. Would be interesting to find out and they can how many football/rugby fans have contacted this virus since attending a game.

As how to finish the season probably too late now but take next week for example they could rearrange a game from the back end of the fixture list, Wimbledon in our case and use the vacant midweek slot. No different to arranging a cup replay or suspend fixtures for a fortnight and extend the season. I remember us playing Saturday/Tuesday/ Thursday/ Saturday when we have had a fixture in times gone by. As for immediate decisions
Cancel the Champions league and Europa League, move the Euros to 2021. The bread and butter League fixtures must always take priority and if they have to go behind closed doors so be it.

Last edited:

PCH

The premier league will finally have the power. Unfortunately they will probably protect their own and scrap relegation which will cascade down
I can see this happening . They won’t take the title off Liverpool . They will be crowned champs in a hollow victorious way and fuck the rest of us.

Otis

I don’t get this, if as an example a track worker at the Jag gets the symptoms and virus they won’t shut the track down, the infected worker goes on the box some who work near him might self isolate and his spot and theirs on the track will be covered by re-deploying others, same with shop workers, NHS etc etc, unless the Government announces a complete lock down as some have things carry on football clubs are no different, it’s down to clubs to organise themselves differently, The Arsenal case is a bit different because some of the players met this chap, spoke too, shuck hands with this chap who has now got the virus but by taking expert advice they should self isolate stay home get checked and if in the clear carry on. same with Chelsea. Would be interesting to find out and they can how many football/rugby fans have contacted this virus since attending a game.

As how to finish the season probably too late now but take next week for example they could rearrange a game from the back end of the fixture list, Wimbledon in our case and use the vacant midweek slot. No different to arranging a cup replay or suspend fixtures for a fortnight and extend the season. I remember us playing Saturday/Tuesday/ Thursday/ Saturday when we have had a fixture in times gone by. As for immediate decisions
Cancel the Euros until 2021, Champions league and Europa League. The bread and butter League fixtures must always take priority and if they have to go behind closed doors so be it.
On the Jag track, are the workers, sweating, hugging, showering together, travelling together and spitting?

If so, the management need to shut that kind of shit down sharpish.

SkyBlueDom26

They SURLY can't cancel or void it, imagine teams like Leeds for instance they would be fucking fuming if they don't go up to the prem...

It has to be done on a super computer based on form and then the play offs will take place in June/July

ajsccfc

The problem is that voiding the season is unfair to teams set for promotion, but by the same token you can't deny teams threatened by relegation the remaining games they could use to mount a recovery either. If there's some way to finish the season whenever that's got to be the no.1 option

Otis

The problem is that voiding the season is unfair to teams set for promotion, but by the same token you can't deny teams threatened by relegation the remaining games they could use to mount a recovery either. If there's some way to finish the season whenever that's got to be the no.1 option
Agree.

shmmeee

OK let’s assume Boris’ here immunity is a goer, then there’s a simple solution:

Get all 92 squads and coaching/medical staff and the iFollow staff (aside from any ages over 60, who can attend matches/training remotely with a younger standin taking instructions) together in an isolated compound.

Have a massive coughing/handshaking orgy, ensuring all people contract the disease.

Play games behind closed doors and stream while players in quarantine, allowing cancellations for three or more players with serious symptoms.

After say a month of quarantine. Let them back out to play remainder of games behind closed doors, all immune.

Optional: Team who wins gets to murder and drink the blood of their opponents.

SkyBlueDom26

OK let’s assume Boris’ here immunity is a goer, then there’s a simple solution:

Get all 92 squads and coaching/medical staff and the iFollow staff (aside from any ages over 60, who can attend matches/training remotely with a younger standin taking instructions) together in an isolated compound.

Have a massive coughing/handshaking orgy, ensuring all people contract the disease.

Play games behind closed doors and stream while players in quarantine, allowing cancellations for three or more players with serious symptoms.

After say a month of quarantine. Let them back out to play remainder of games behind closed doors, all immune.

Optional: Team who wins gets to murder and drink the blood of their opponents.

As bad as it sounds mate, they are on about it becoming a seasonal flu with up to 60% of us needing to get it to build up herd immunity

'This will likely become an annual virus'
Sir Patrick is asked whether - to build up herd immunity - it would be better to spread the disease more widely now. He replies:

What we don't want is everybody to end up getting it in a short period of time so that we swamp and overwhelm NHS services so that's the flattening of the peak. You can't stop it so that you should end up with a broader peak during which time you would anticipate that more people would get immunity to this and that in itself becomes a protective part of this process.

And this is quite likely though to become an annual virus, an annual seasonal infection.

Reactions: TTG

Magwitch

If the right thing is done and they move the E
On the Jag track, are the workers, sweating, hugging, showering together, travelling together and spitting?

If so, the management need to shut that kind of shit down sharpish.
No but they are working in close proximity to others for upto 8 hours a day. They could well be sweating unless track speeds are slowed down, that won’t happen.

Grendel

Totally agree. I think it is absolute madness for the Premier League and Bundesliga to even be considering such a crazy notion.

The whole of the premier league would have to agree - I somehow doubt Liverpool will me over keen

Grendel

We would get fucked over even if it's postponed.

O'Hare, Walsh and Giles are only on loans till early May. We would lose them

They can be extended as would contracts that end in June

Magwitch

Heaven knows what decisions the football authorities will come to it’s an organisation led by donkeys. To me the bottom line unfortunately is to play behind closed doors, get the games out the way, not rocket science.

Nick

Administrator
I think the only logical way is to suspend it and then play 2 games a week to blast through the remaining fixtures.

The thing then is increased chance of injury etc, player contracts, loans etc. What happens if stadiums have things booked for the summer (not that it would bother us much)? It's the logistics of it all.

It isn't as simple as just saying "we will run over into next season"

SkyBlueDom26

I think the only logical way is to suspend it and then play 2 games a week to blast through the remaining fixtures.

The thing then is increased chance of injury etc, player contracts, loans etc. What happens if stadiums have things booked for the summer (not that it would bother us much)? It's the logistics of it all.

It isn't as simple as just saying "we will run over into next season"

Best way is to super computer it based on form, then play the play offs in june/july

Otis

Heaven knows what decisions the football authorities will come to it’s an organisation led by donkeys. To me the bottom line unfortunately is to play behind closed doors, get the games out the way, not rocket science.
You can't play games behind closed doors against clubs that have players isolating.

You just stage the few games you can and you will end up with real disparity in the amount of games teams have played and could end up with some teams playing 5 or 6 games more than others.

Magwitch

It’s no good our EFL coming up with cancelling games for now without a solution to how they intend to re-start and finish off the season, it will have to be three games a week and probably an extension into May.

Magwitch

You can't play games behind closed doors against clubs that have players isolating.

You just stage the few games you can and you will end up with real disparity in the amount of games teams have played and could end up with some teams playing 5 or 6 games more than others.
I’m sorry how are footballers different to doctors and nurses for example self isolating is apparently for seven or fourteen days. Squads are over twenty strong, keeping players away from others is surely easy compared to NHS staff.

shmmeee

Best way is to super computer it based on form, then play the play offs in june/july

Agree with this. We have decent models these days (this is your time @Philosorapter!), could even do one off relegation playoffs where it’s close at the same time if there’s complaints from clubs down the bottom. Wouldn’t leave much time for squad building for the promoted teams mind. But better than not going up at all, maybe extend the transfer window to make up for it.

SkyBlueDom26

Agree with this. We have decent models these days (this is your time @Philosorapter!), could even do one off relegation playoffs where it’s close at the same time if there’s complaints from clubs down the bottom. Wouldn’t leave much time for squad building for the promoted teams mind. But better than not going up at all, maybe extend the transfer window to make up for it.

Trust me @Philosorapter now is ya time to step up with the graphs!! Sim the season and lets see what you can come up with mate

mrtrench

When I was a kid, I used to write the names of all the teams in Division 1 on a piece of paper and put them in a cup. I'd then do the same with some scores and pull them out, recording the results. Every three games or so, I'd calculate the league positions. I must have cheated, because we seemed to win the league every time I did it.

The original pieces of paper went years ago. But if called upon, I could make some more. @EnglishFootballLeague - I'll leave that with you.

covboy1987

Hearing rumours of pools panels stepping in or play offs to decide who goes up and down -
Tomorrow should be the last game throughout the Uk for the EFL clubs - Suspend the fixtures for 6/7/8 weeks then review and continue the league hopefully start of May - League season would finish just past middle of June - start the new season 3rd September - (No doubt the euros will be cancelled and played next year for international players playing in the EFL) The bread and butter and survival is the football league games for all the EFL clubs - This would only be the fair way of deciding on promotion and relegation and keeping clubs in business - If the virus continued then plan B (havent a clue on plan B)

Mcbean

The problem is that the numbers effected (virus) will be massive in two months time - need some immunity building up

torchomatic

That would be better than voiding the season. If this had happened last September then fair enough, but three quarters of the season has been played. They cannot just void it and pretend 19/20 didn't happen.

Skyblueweeman

I don't get all the confusion here. There's surely only one viable option of those realistically discussed so far:

1. Void the season - 100% not going to happen. As some have mentioned, there's clubs who would miss out on promotion to higher leagues and teams in the Prem who could miss out on European competition. If you look at the 4 professional leagues and the National League - there's about 45 teams in with a shot of European football (that aren't in the top 4), in play off places (and not the autos) or within reasonable distance of the play offs. If the season is voided, that's 45 clubs who could open lawsuits against potential loss of future revenues.

2. Ending the season now as it stands - As per the above.

3. Simulating the run in - Similar to the above. You would not get 100% agreement from every club (which you would need) on which metric was used to calculate final positions.

4. Postpone Euro 2020 for a year, suspend the leagues for two months and finish them in May, June and July and then start the 2020-21 season in September, maybe with no Leasing.com/Carabao Cups (although there's money that would be due back to those two sponsors). This is the ONLY logical solution in my eyes. Yes, there'll be queries around loans/contracts etc and it might level the playing field with time given for other clubs players to come back from injury.

Option 4 is logical, is workable (just about), isn't contentious and is open to the least amount of legal action. The only potential issue with that is that moving the Euros to 2021 will clash with the womens 2021 Euros which are due to take place next summer in England. I think we might play tomorrow and then that'll be it until the end of April...or mid April at a push.

Skyblueweeman

Agree Torch. As I've just posted on another thread...

I don't get all the confusion here. There's surely only one viable option of those realistically discussed so far:

1. Void the season - 100% not going to happen. As some have mentioned, there's clubs who would miss out on promotion to higher leagues and teams in the Prem who could miss out on European competition. If you look at the 4 professional leagues and the National League - there's about 45 teams in with a shot of European football (that aren't in the top 4), in play off places (and not the autos) or within reasonable distance of the play offs. If the season is voided, that's 45 clubs who could open lawsuits against potential loss of future revenues.

2. Ending the season now as it stands - As per the above.

3. Simulating the run in - Similar to the above. You would not get 100% agreement from every club (which you would need) on which metric was used to calculate final positions.

4. Postpone Euro 2020 for a year, suspend the leagues for two months and finish them in May, June and July and then start the 2020-21 season in September, maybe with no Leasing.com/Carabao Cups (although there's money that would be due back to those two sponsors). This is the ONLY logical solution in my eyes. Yes, there'll be queries around loans/contracts etc and it might level the playing field with time given for other clubs players to come back from injury.

Option 4 is logical, is workable (just about), isn't contentious and is open to the least amount of legal action. The only potential issue with that is that moving the Euros to 2021 will clash with the womens 2021 Euros which are due to take place next summer in England. I think we might play tomorrow and then that'll be it until the end of April...or mid April at a push.

Users who are viewing this thread