Social Media (1 Viewer)

Otis

With having 7 kids we have had perfect and we have had difficult. Youngest is slightly difficult.

No you can't control everything. But you can't give up either. I carry out every threat. The wife doesn't. They do as I say as soon as I say. They ignore the wife and the wife asks me why. When I say it is because she doesn't always follow through with what she says she makes excuses.

A lot of what happens with them is down to the company they keep. That is the difficult part as you can't watch them all day every day.
Agree. Luckily, my daughter has good friends and seems to hang out with the right people and I know she isn't hanging around on street corners at night, which is a real bonus.

It's similar with my wife too. My daughter doesn't obey orders from my wife, but she always does from me.

Sky Blue Pete

I don't do Farcebook, Twatter or similar. I am on Farcebook but it was my wife who set up the account years ago so she could send herself gifts in the games linked to it.

I don't need to know what someone is eating or what someone is bragging about. I don't need to see a selfie that someone took hours to get right that doesn't look like them and doesn't make them look as beautiful as the long list of comments say. I don't need the list of hundreds or even thousands of 'friends' on my list.

But I do allow my children to use the internet and use Farcebook. I have simple rules. Do anything wrong once and you lose it. If anyone contacts you that you don't know then let me know. They have their own phones. Their nearest family is in Scotland so they got phones earlier than I would normally allow. But I must have access to their phones. I pay the bill. But I don't bother looking as they never hide what they are doing.

I have brought up all my kids on a trust basis. I trust them until they give me a reason not to trust them. And they don't want that to happen.
Then what?

Nick

Administrator
I'm not that fussed on films really and just apply common sense. Obviously not going to let her watch horror films or things with sex etc. The odd swear word is ok as she knows she shouldn't say them.

She loves the grand tour and watches it with us and it has the odd swear word.

Otis

Just asked my daughter and she knew all about young kids on there.

Never thought to mention it though.

Otis

Just read the report. That's so sad.

There has always been a problem online with the 'are you aged 18 and over' and it is just tick a box or enter a DOB scenario

It's so easy.

tommydazzle

Don't use Twitter, Instagram mainly because it would take time out of my life as I'm sure I would find plenty of interesting people to follow etc.

Only use Facebook for my very small business as a lot of people do and leads to the absurdity of business's having websites and Facebook pages because it's seen as essential.

Don't use a mobile phone - one in car for emergencies on pay-as-you-go (£10 per year max).

Otis

Don't use Twitter, Instagram mainly because it would take time out of my life as I'm sure I would find plenty of interesting people to follow etc.

Only use Facebook for my very small business as a lot of people do and leads to the absurdity of business's having websites and Facebook pages because it's seen as essential.

Don't use a mobile phone - one in car for emergencies on pay-as-you-go (£10 per year max).
Fair play.

I use my phone all the time, but it's 99% ring or text someone, or checking emails.

Never, ever play any games, or watch videos or films (stuns me that people do that, as films are made for the big screen or TV and the visuals and cinematography are so much and integral part of all that).

dutchman

Never, ever play any games, or watch videos or films (stuns me that people do that, as films are made for the big screen or TV and the visuals and cinematography are so much and integral part of all that).

Held up close the picture resolution on even my cheapo mobile is better than some full-sized TVs and the audio when played thorugh decent headphones is quite impressive too.

The only drawback is trying to hold the screen steady.

Otis

Held up close the picture resolution on even my cheapo mobile is better than some full-sized TVs and the audio when played thorugh decent headphones is quite impressive too.

The only drawback is trying to hold the screen steady.
So many films though are the big wide expanse.

My phone probably is better than my TV, but I would never use it. Could you imagine Close Encounters, or Jaws, or Gravity, or King Kong, or The Revenant etc. or a mobile phone?

For so many films the visuals are so important and that's what sets film aside to television.

I suppose I could watch a sitcom or quiz show or something, but don't think I ever will.

tommydazzle

Agree, watching great cinematography on a small screen must be like sex wearing three condoms - still enjoyable (I would imagine) but lacking the intensity. I got hooked on film when my dad took me to see Lawrence of Arabia and I was completely blown away by the desert scenes - the vastness, the colour and the iconic image of the figure in the distance gradually getting closer. That must lose an awful lot on a tiny screen. The music was great too.

Otis

Agree, watching great cinematography on a small screen must be like sex wearing three condoms - still enjoyable (I would imagine) but lacking the intensity. I got hooked on film when my dad took me to see Lawrence of Arabia and I was completely blown away by the desert scenes - the vastness, the colour and the iconic image of the figure in the distance gradually getting closer. That must lose an awful lot on a tiny screen. The music was great too.
Agree and I just wonder how many people have not liked a film because they only watched it on their phone.

If you wanted to listen to Dark Side of the Moon would you play it on some tinny device with a tiny speaker?

clint van damme

Agree and I just wonder how many people have not liked a film because they only watched it on their phone.

If you wanted to listen to Dark Side of the Moon would you play it on some tinny device with a tiny speaker?

I'm of the opinion that if the quality of the product is good it will overcome the medium.

To alter your Dark side of the mod example slightly, would you rather listen to a classic album you love on a tinny device with tiny speakers or the best of Black Lace on a top of the range sound system? (assuming you don't think the best of Black lace is a classic album that you love!)

Otis

I'm of the opinion that if the quality of the product is good it will overcome the medium.

To alter your Dark side of the mod example slightly, would you rather listen to a classic album you love on a tinny device with tiny speakers or the best of Black Lace on a top of the range sound system? (assuming you don't think the best of Black lace is a classic album that you love!)
I would say Party Party and Dark Side of the Moon are quite comparible in terms of classic-ness

RegTheDonk

Ahhhh! Remember the days before social media? Amiga 500. My first computer...……
View attachment 11481
That's awesome! Technically, well beyond me, more a game player than a Geek unfortunately.

Daft as it sounds, I dug this out just before Xmas and was having a play around. Still booted up after nearly 30 years! Can't do much with it unfortunately, not worth the effort compared to todays devices.....
IMG_20181207_112611.jpg

chiefdave

Daft as it sounds, I dug this out just before Xmas and was having a play around. Still booted up after nearly 30 years! Can't do much with it unfortunately, not worth the effort compared to todays devices.....
You can stick your fancy modern games, this is where its at

FootballManagerZX81.jpg

Don't know why they don't port some of these old games over for iPhones. Can't be that difficult technically and plenty of people would pay a couple of quid.

shmmeee

Raspberry Pi for £30 and RetroPi for free = all the retro gaming goodness you could ask for on your tv.

RegTheDonk

You can stick your fancy modern games, this is where its at

View attachment 11509

Don't know why they don't port some of these old games over for iPhones. Can't be that difficult technically and plenty of people would pay a couple of quid.
Snif! That was the first game I got along with Bruce Lee when I brought a C64 back in 85.
Got an emulator on the PC but might check out the phone versions as NW says. There's a great site for C64 stuff here ftp://arnold.c64.org/pub/

Users who are viewing this thread