Social Media (1 Viewer)

Otis

giphy.gif
Are you calling me a big tit?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I tried that and they immediately blocked me! :(

They also ordered their friends to block me so I couldn't find out anything that way. :(
I blocked my youngest daughter. She's a little shit as far as I'm concerned. Haven't seen or heard from her for about 8 years now and really couldn't care less. I have absolutely no feelings for her. I also blocked her husband and kids. Blocking the kids hurt me, but she would use them against me and I wouldn't like that, so I manage life knowing I won't ever see them. I have other kids and grandkids anyway.

Rich

I blocked my youngest daughter. She's a little shit as far as I'm concerned. Haven't seen or heard from her for about 8 years now and really couldn't care less. I have absolutely no feelings for her. I also blocked her husband and kids. Blocking the kids hurt me, but she would use them against me and I wouldn't like that, so I manage life knowing I won't ever see them. I have other kids and grandkids anyway.
It's sad that you feel that way toward your own Child and even more upsetting that you would think this an appropriate place for that post.

covmark

I couldn't imagine what my daughter would have to do, for me to have absolutely no feelings for her.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

That's incredibly sad, Houch. :(

bringbackrattles

A customer of mine who I get on well with used to have her daughter living with her, the daughter was about 20 years old. Anyway whenever I mentioned how her daughter was getting on she would say" good riddance to her, she can rot for all I care." I was taken aback at that,as I thought they got on well. But I never told her the daughter lives by me in Bell Green, and she's a well known druggie and alcoholic. Sad all-round really.

Gazolba

I started off with Myspace and Friends Reunited. Do either of them still exist? I have no idea what my login details were back then.
I used to use 'Friends Reunited' too! I actually connected up with several old UK school-mates and work-mates via that site.
It no longer exists. Their mistake was charging a fee to communicate with other members.
They did make it free but way, way too late, by then everyone had switched to MySpace or Facebook.
It's a shame because Facebook does not allow international searching so its useless for that.
Facebook is all based on people you know rather than people you used to know.

Gazolba

I tried that and they immediately blocked me! :(

They also ordered their friends to block me so I couldn't find out anything that way. :(
There's no need for that because you can send private messages if you want.

Gazolba

Ahhhh! Remember the days before social media? Amiga 500. My first computer...……
My first computer was a Commodore 64 for which I paid a small fortune.
Got it from a shop in Florida. I was their first ever customer for one.
It used a cassette tape drive and normal TV as a screen.
Had tons of fun programming it.
I then got a Commodore 128 with a colour monitor, followed by an Amiga 500.
I got the Amiga because you could program it with commands like SAY "Hello Stranger" and it would actually speak the words in a robotic computer voice.
The coolest thing ever, or so I thought at the time.
I still have the Commodore 128 and monitor in the garage somewhere.

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Social media is brilliant, but when used by the right people and in the right way (ie using it to warn,apprehend crime or raise awareness of missing people), keep it contact with friends and family etc.

It is however so so dangerous when used by the wrong people or the wrong way. (People using it to be malicious, trolls, even fake memes etc have a picture add text which is a lie upload and watch it get shared etc.)

Me personally I have most the ones going, Twitter I spent too much time getting involved in discussions usually sport related but was a waste of time so deleted that account, I have an account now, I follow various (blue tick) accounts for updates but don’t post.

My general rule of thumb on social media or even SBT don’t post something that A. You wouldn’t say in public or to that individual. B. If my employers read it it wouldn’t get me into any bother.

Last edited:

vow

Had a ZX81 as my first PC, all my mates took the piss as they had ZX Spectrum's :bag:

shmmeee

I think it’s a user experience issue. One of two things will happen, either tools will evolve to allow a better experience without the harms, or people will stop using it if it causes them more harm than good.

I think there’s an element of moral panic about it all TBH. Suicide rates have been pretty constant, even slightly down since it’s introduction:

chartoftheday_12335_suicide_in_the_uk_n.jpg

And almost all happiness measures are also up:

file

Anxiety has taken a hit, and I think that’s a concern, though the last 2 years have been pretty anxious all round anyway, so hard to say if that’s social media, which starts mid 2000s and really takes off early 2010s:

uk-social-media-stats-2018-5.jpg

Grendel

I couldn't imagine what my daughter would have to do, for me to have absolutely no feelings for her.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

She probably said she supported the Ulster unionists

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
It's sad that you feel that way toward your own Child and even more upsetting that you would think this an appropriate place for that post.
I posted because someone before me mentioned their lack of contact with their kid. I just followed suit. If you knew why I don't like my daughter, perhaps you might understand how I feel towards her, if you knew even half the story. I will just say a few words like, "drugs", "beatings", "hammer attack", "midnight fleeing from drugs gang", "moving 165 miles away overnight making her family homeless". All this lifestyle put herself and my grandkids in extreme danger. When she eventually let me know where she was, I drove all the way there, only to find she couldn't be arsed to wait in for me even though we'd arranged my visit. There's a lot more, but as you say Rich, maybe this isn't the place, eh?

vow

When was all this? I think I was* behind the times.

Some would say still is.
Ha, only with your DNS Cache!

All this was around 82' for me as I was a year behind most other kids in terms of PC's.
By the time I got the ZX Spectrum most were on Amiga or Commodore PC's...first world problems eh! :couchpotato:

Sky Blue Pete

I think it’s a user experience issue. One of two things will happen, either tools will evolve to allow a better experience without the harms, or people will stop using it if it causes them more harm than good.

I think there’s an element of moral panic about it all TBH. Suicide rates have been pretty constant, even slightly down since it’s introduction:

chartoftheday_12335_suicide_in_the_uk_n.jpg

And almost all happiness measures are also up:

file

Anxiety has taken a hit, and I think that’s a concern, though the last 2 years have been pretty anxious all round anyway, so hard to say if that’s social media, which starts mid 2000s and really takes off early 2010s:

uk-social-media-stats-2018-5.jpg
That’s incredibly useful evidence. Doesn’t mean changes aren’t necessary but it’s important to take stock and make appropriate changes

Nick

Administrator
I'm dreading my daughter getting a bit older and wanting to use it. At the minute she uses WhatsApp with her mates which is fine but going to make sure she doesn't get into some weird world where she feels like she has to look a certain way or do certain things for likes.

Sky Blue Pete

They find their way nick. The sad thing for me with the Instagram case, other than the tragic death, is that the Dad thinks if she’s not had an Instagram account she’d be alive and takes no responsibility at all. We all need to look at ourselves and do what we can rather than pointing congers everuwhere else and not recognising we are not beholden to chance usually and can take actions and make choices that help

Nick

Administrator
They find their way nick. The sad thing for me with the Instagram case, other than the tragic death, is that the Dad thinks if she’s not had an Instagram account she’d be alive and takes no responsibility at all. We all need to look at ourselves and do what we can rather than pointing congers everuwhere else and not recognising we are not beholden to chance usually and can take actions and make choices that help

People might moan but I will be monitoring everything she does.

If I spot any nonce's or people trying to persuade her to kill herself it would get messy.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

If I spot any nonce's or people trying to persuade her to kill herself it would get messy.
I think that’s right so we can talk to our kids we can explain we have parental responsibilities and that includes checking what’s going on in all their lives including on line. We can set boundaries we can open our ears and eyes to hear and see what they are saying and support and protect them

Reactions: vow

Otis

You can't after a while though, Nick.

I monitored all my daughter's online stuff until she was about 12. After that it is almost impossible and they swap phones at school and use each others.

I remember taking my daughter's phone off her as a punishment for something and then one day I saw the phone in her bedroom. Totally baffled me because I had confiscated it

Went downstairs, had a look and there was her phone.

Someone had given her an identical phone to use while hers was taken.

Nick

Administrator
You can't after a while though, Nick.

I monitored all my daughter's online stuff until she was about 12. After that it is almost impossible and they swap phones at school and use each others.

I remember taking my daughter's phone off her as a punishment for something and then one day I saw the phone in her bedroom. Totally baffled me because I had confiscated it

Went downstairs, had a look and there was her phone.

Someone had given her an identical phone to use while hers was taken.

Lock her in a tin foil lined room.

Nick

Administrator
I think that’s right so we can talk to our kids we can explain we have parental responsibilities and that includes checking what’s going on in all their lives including on line. We can set boundaries we can open our ears and eyes to hear and see what they are saying and support and protect them

Thankfully the school are pretty good on internet security and have been since she was about 5.

Even so will be extra vigilent.

Otis

Lock her in a tin foil lined room.
That's the problem though, Nick.

I made a firm policy of no 18 certificate films when she was between 10-13 (still monitor them now), but she would go around other people's houses and there the parents would just let their kids watch anything.

And at school, like I say, they swap phones. What can you do about that?

Nick

Administrator

I made a firm policy of no 18 certificate films when she was between 10-13 (still monitor them now), but she would go around other people's houses and there the parents would just let their kids watch anything.

I'll monitor the parents internet too.

fernandopartridge

Like it or loathe it social media is here to stay and will get even more powerful. But when you read about youngsters committing suicide after viewing nasty stuff on Instagram etc, you do think maybe it's more dangerous than we first thought ? We got by okay long before Twitter and Facebook, so my question is : could you live without social media ?
I think it'll eventually decline, in fact I think it's already starting. People are over exposed.

Astute

I'm dreading my daughter getting a bit older and wanting to use it. At the minute she uses WhatsApp with her mates which is fine but going to make sure she doesn't get into some weird world where she feels like she has to look a certain way or do certain things for likes.
I don't do Farcebook, Twatter or similar. I am on Farcebook but it was my wife who set up the account years ago so she could send herself gifts in the games linked to it.

I don't need to know what someone is eating or what someone is bragging about. I don't need to see a selfie that someone took hours to get right that doesn't look like them and doesn't make them look as beautiful as the long list of comments say. I don't need the list of hundreds or even thousands of 'friends' on my list.

But I do allow my children to use the internet and use Farcebook. I have simple rules. Do anything wrong once and you lose it. If anyone contacts you that you don't know then let me know. They have their own phones. Their nearest family is in Scotland so they got phones earlier than I would normally allow. But I must have access to their phones. I pay the bill. But I don't bother looking as they never hide what they are doing.

I have brought up all my kids on a trust basis. I trust them until they give me a reason not to trust them. And they don't want that to happen.

Astute

The wife is the film buff. She decides which films they can see as the ratings are not always consistent. We allow our children to drink alcohol at an early age. That isn't to get pissed before anyone says it. But they are not allowed to drink away from us. And so far we have had no problems. They don't go drinking in parks/fields with their friends as it is nothing special to them. My 17 year old doesn't even like alcohol. Drugs? They are brought up knowing to come and see me first if they want to dabble. Only had 2 interested so far. Put one off immediately and the other one tried. So I put him in the environment of drug takers for the day. Nothing hard but he saw what 'soft drugs do. He hasn't touched them since.

Ban everything and they want to try. Take the excitement away and the urge isn't there. Nearly time to start on kids 6 and 7. They are 9 and 10 now. 10 year old daughter is spot on. 9 year old son would be a handful if allowed. He has a weekend without electrical items. Called his teacher an idiot in front of the class on Friday :woot: He will go back to school tomorrow a different child. 2 and a half days of nothing to do will sort him out.

Otis

The wife is the film buff. She decides which films they can see as the ratings are not always consistent. We allow our children to drink alcohol at an early age. That isn't to get pissed before anyone says it. But they are not allowed to drink away from us. And so far we have had no problems. They don't go drinking in parks/fields with their friends as it is nothing special to them. My 17 year old doesn't even like alcohol. Drugs? They are brought up knowing to come and see me first if they want to dabble. Only had 2 interested so far. Put one off immediately and the other one tried. So I put him in the environment of drug takers for the day. Nothing hard but he saw what 'soft drugs do. He hasn't touched them since.

Ban everything and they want to try. Take the excitement away and the urge isn't there. Nearly time to start on kids 6 and 7. They are 9 and 10 now. 10 year old daughter is spot on. 9 year old son would be a handful if allowed. He has a weekend without electrical items. Called his teacher an idiot in front of the class on Friday :woot: He will go back to school tomorrow a different child. 2 and a half days of nothing to do will sort him out.
Depends on the child, Astute.

Mine is a good kid, but I have taken all her stuff off her for two weeks and it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

And like I say, your missus might well choose the films for them, but you can't control what they see on other people's devices and at school and round other people's houses.

And on the films, I don't just look at the ratings, I always check the IMDB parents guide too. For every film and I also always try and watch them all first too.

Astute

Depends on the child, Astute.

Mine is a good kid, but I have taken all her stuff off her for two weeks and it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference.

And like I say, your missus might well choose the films for them, but you can't control what they see on other people's devices and at school and round other people's houses.

And on the films, I don't just look at the ratings, I always check the IMDB parents guide too. For every film and I also always try and watch them all first too.
With having 7 kids we have had perfect and we have had difficult. Youngest is slightly difficult.

No you can't control everything. But you can't give up either. I carry out every threat. The wife doesn't. They do as I say as soon as I say. They ignore the wife and the wife asks me why. When I say it is because she doesn't always follow through with what she says she makes excuses.

A lot of what happens with them is down to the company they keep. That is the difficult part as you can't watch them all day every day.

Users who are viewing this thread