So how well SHOULD Thorn be doing? (2 Viewers)

CJparker

As some fans on here appear to think that our manager is under-performing, can I ask what a reasonable league position would be for his budget / squad??

At the London Supporters Club meeting he said in his own view he won't celebrate if we finish 21st, he feels we have a squad that should be "mid-table, pushing on"

Grendel

As some fans on here appear to think that our manager is under-performing, can I ask what a reasonable league position would be for his budget / squad??

At the London Supporters Club meeting he said in his own view he won't celebrate if we finish 21st, he feels we have a squad that should be "mid-table, pushing on"

Just answered your own question then. If Thorn really said that I would expect him to deliver on his own expectations as I would expect any manager working for me to meet their personal objectives.

@richh87

Just answered your own question then. If Thorn really said that I would expect him to deliver on his own expectations as I would expect any manager working for me to meet their personal objectives.

Yeah, because when he's got a squad to motivate the way to do It and build their confidence would be to publicly say "we'll do well to stay up".

Nice one.

speedie87

I think he's doing about right with the players we have at home. However I think he's got to take some of the blame for the away form. I think another manager would have got us say another ten points away.

Grendel

Yeah, because when he's got a squad to motivate the way to do It and build their confidence would be to publicly say "we'll do well to stay up".

Nice one.

Why not? I and just about every other supporter WOULD accept that. Truth is he has a problem with the spoken word and more and more nonsense just keeps coming out. What next - let's go for the play offs?

Sick Boy

Nice one.

How is it building their confidence to claim that the squad is massively under-achieving, if anything it is the complete opposite.

Otis

As I've said eleventy billion times plus 1, I was expecting a relegation scap, I wasn't expecing us to be in the bottom 3 since October, be 7 points adrift at the bottom by Christmas and pretty much 7 points adrift at the bottom since then.

We have been underperfoming. Don't know how anyone can see it any other way.

Just how many points adrift were people expecting us to be for god's sake? :facepalm: Ohh and I think AT is sincere when he says he thinks we have the potentital to be a mid-table side. He honestly believes that in my opinion.

Underperforming with any shadow of a doubt whatsoever.

Otis

Thorn: "Squad hasn't been stronger all season."

That is on the offal today.

Okay, let's just see how we do from now til the end of the season shall we! AT is saying we have the potential to be mid-table and has now just said his squad has never been stronger. That surely should mean we should now escpare relegation then. Anything other than that would have be underperforming wouldn't it? :thinking about:

Sick Boy

Okay, let's just see how we do from now til the end of the season shall we! AT is saying we have the potential to be mid-table and has now just said his squad has never been stronger. That surely should mean we should now escpare relegation then. Anything other than that would have be underperforming wouldn't it? :thinking about:

If that is the case then even those defending his record cannot use the rotation argument because according to the man they have 100% faith in, it just isn't true!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
As I've said eleventy billion times plus 1,

Now, now Otis! that's a damn lie and you know it is!! I've sat and counted the times you've said this and it has only been eleventy billion times! Where do you get the extra one from??? :D

@richh87

He's saying it to stop everyone panicking and the players losing confidence. It's pretty standard stuff - you every seen Fergie, Dalglish or Anger after a game?

The squad Is shit.

Sick Boy

He's saying it to stop everyone panicking and the players losing confidence. It's pretty standard stuff - you every seen Fergie, Dalglish or Anger after a game?

The squad Is shit.

If I was told that my manager believed I was hugely underachieving in my job then I would begin to panic and lose confidence.

He has claimed we are a mid-table side and he doesn't understand why we are where we are.

Grendel

Otis

Really? That's a bit harsh - who the hell scouted them! Needs sacking I'd say.

Well I do have to say 'touche' to that. :claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

i don't think the squad is shit and Thorn clearly doesn't believe that either. Why would he scout shit players? Unless he is a shit scout himself of course.

Nick

Administrator
Argument I was trying to have yesterday. If the squad is shit he is a poor scout, if it is good he is a poor manager! Can't have both :)

I personally think under achieving and that with the players we have now we shouldn't be where we are.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Well given our home record is average you might expect our away record to be similar. So three away wins and around 18th position right now i reckon. Not unreasonable or unrealistic - just average for a pretty average squad and manager

Current average wins per team home 7.25 away 4.67. CCFC currently home 6 away 0. Not asking a lot really is it and the squad are capable of being in the safe zone

or has the team not been playing good football, matching most teams and been unlucky?

Last edited:

@richh87

The squad is shit in the sense it has no depth.

This character assassination of Thorn is fast becoming a joke. People are really going all out to discredit him.

Steve Kean situation all over again.

Shit owners but Manager takes the flak from idiots.

Sick Boy

The squad is shit in the sense it has no depth.

This character assassination of Thorn is fast becoming a joke. People are really going all out to discredit him.

Steve Kean situation all over again.

What character assassination?! What are you talking about?

No one is assassinating his character.

Sick Boy

The owners can't be too bad if they employ a manager who you believe to be beyond criticism? I would have thought you would be hoping they stick around so that Thorn remains in his job and has the chance to prove some of us wrong.

Otis

Shit owners, novice manager, both taking the flak.

And why are you saying idiots? Absolutely uncalled for.

CUS Wyken

Argument I was trying to have yesterday. If the squad is shit he is a poor scout, if it is good he is a poor manager! Can't have both :)

I personally think under achieving and that with the players we have now we shouldn't be where we are.

Nail on the head Nick.

Hate the saying, but many move the goal posts to suit on here.

Brighton Sky Blue

Some people defending Thorn take it as a personal attack, and remind you quite a lot of the 'Leave Britney alone!' YouTube vid (here for those who aren't aware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc).

Not even in the context of SISU can you defend the atrocious away form that is responsible for our place in the bottom 3. Thorn deserves praise for turning the Ricoh into a difficult place to get a result-we look confident at home and capable of giving anyone in the league a game there. But, 3 measly points from a possible 48 is simply terrible-and the relatively good home form shows you that AT *is* at fault in this respect. I don't defend people murdering the guy for the sake of it but equally, those defending him to an almost personal level need to realise that they, also, are going too far in that.

Leave Andy Thorn alone! ;)

Otis

Some people defending Thorn take it as a personal attack, and remind you quite a lot of the 'Leave Britney alone!' YouTube vid (here for those who aren't aware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc).

Not even in the context of SISU can you defend the atrocious away form that is responsible for our place in the bottom 3. Thorn deserves praise for turning the Ricoh into a difficult place to get a result-we look confident at home and capable of giving anyone in the league a game there. But, 3 measly points from a possible 48 is simply terrible-and the relatively good home form shows you that AT *is* at fault in this respect. I don't defend people murdering the guy for the sake of it but equally, those defending him to an almost personal level need to realise that they, also, are going too far in that.

Can someone eidit that video so it does indeed substitute the word 'Britney' for 'Thorn!'

Sick Boy

hahahahaahahahaha!!!!

Have just realised that is a man in the video!!!

'Leave Andy Thorn alone, right...NOW...I mean it!'

@richh87

Haha, very good!

Listen, I want us to have the best chance of staying up possible and if he loses his job due to away form then fine. I just think people are being very harsh on the bloke and I'm pissed that nobody is having a go at SISU who have made him work with both hands tied behind his back.

CJparker

Having started this thread, I'll add my own two penny worth.

I always expected us to really struggle and think he's done well to ensure we're only 3 points off safety approaching the home strait. Results tomorrow could have us out of the zone altogether.

I'd like to see City give a manager 5-6 years, and if that means allowing someone to fail i.e. relegation this season, so be it. Successful teams are built over years of planning, we've had too much chopping and changing managers over the years to allow this, hence our current situation.

What fans need to get their heads round, and the "AT out brigade" in particular, is that it's OK to give someone enough rope, even if that means failure at first.

covcity4life

any fan who thinks thorn is doing well doesnt have a clue, were in relegation zone yet competed in vast majority of matches which shows our squad isnt the worst in league and relegation should not be a foregone conclusion

Users who are viewing this thread