Sky sports to stream every EFL game (2 Viewers)

jordan210

You would think they need to get thing announced pretty soon. Wasn't the ifollow subscription renewal around now.

wingy

Need a proper announcement on this, ifollow auto renews on 25 August.
My Car insurance today robbing f**"ers .
I haven't used it for six months and it needs a new battery, possibly steering rack or power steering pump .
Ouch not much change from a grand.

jamboy

Thinking about this, I reckon the deal the EFL have reached with Sky is to allow the clubs to stream using ifollow. So will save the cost of a VPN.

shmmeee

They will still be showing games for "overseas" customers?

So am I best off cancelling my iFollow sub and buying a UK one so I can watch home and away games?

I want the shirt and maybe the ST if we get back into games (though I'm happy to wait until it's 50% allowed and buy tickets), and want to watch all away games all season on iFollow. I do not want to pay £490 (£260 ST + £230 in away games) for the pleasure.

Help me SBT my family is starving!

covcity4life

So am I best off cancelling my iFollow sub and buying a UK one so I can watch home and away games?

I want the shirt and maybe the ST if we get back into games (though I'm happy to wait until it's 50% allowed and buy tickets), and want to watch all away games all season on iFollow. I do not want to pay £480 for the pleasure.

Erm dunno bro lol

I imagine ifollow season pass works our cheaper than sky sports which also isnt designed to be there all season long it seems

Ifollow rights have not changed at all right?

chiefdave

I want the shirt and maybe the ST if we get back into games (though I'm happy to wait until it's 50% allowed and buy tickets), and want to watch all away games all season on iFollow. I do not want to pay £490 (£260 ST + £230 in away games) for the pleasure.

The season ticket thing they've annouced is home games only on ifollow. You'll need to pay another £10 for every away game. If ifollow is as before its home and away (although not all championship teams are signed up). Would make ifollow the cheaper option for those 'overseas'.

I'm tempted to get the shirt, its a gamble on if you think the streaming will last all season. Suspect the ifollow pricing in the UK will be higher than for those living 'overseas'. Surprised they haven't jacked the overseas price up as well to be honest.

chiefdave

Hopefully this doesn’t impact ifollow for those of us who actually live abroad ;)
If the overseas ifollow is the same as previous seasons that's a pretty big difference compared to the cost in the UK which, if it runs all season, will end up being £460.

stay_up_skyblues

I read it that ifollow will broadcast all games, including those that will be shown on sky. So sky’s “favour” to the clubs is not refusing them permission to screen the games they are also broadcasting. No official suggestion that ALL EFL games will be shown on sky, yet. £10 a game will work out dear in the long run but in isolation you’ve gotta be happy with £10 a game, especially if they pull their finger out and make an ifollow app for smart tv/fire stick etc.

A pure UK season ticket for ifollow seems tricky as the 3pm blackout is likely to be reintroduced when more fans are allowed in, so wouldn’t surprise me if there is only an option to pay per game, VPN aside.

shmmeee

The season ticket thing they've annouced is home games only on ifollow. You'll need to pay another £10 for every away game. If ifollow is as before its home and away (although not all championship teams are signed up). Would make ifollow the cheaper option for those 'overseas'.

I'm tempted to get the shirt, its a gamble on if you think the streaming will last all season. Suspect the ifollow pricing in the UK will be higher than for those living 'overseas'. Surprised they haven't jacked the overseas price up as well to be honest.

This is what I'm saying. It's probably cheaper to buy the overseas iFollow just for away games anyway, then get the ST so you get the shirt (and the ST itself) on top?

skybluepm2

I suspect the club will clarify this in due course but I’d hope that when I purchase my ST/membership I’ll have the option of watching via my sky package at no extra charge instead of the shitty and temperamental ifollow stream. Maybe I’ve not read this correctly? 🤔

covcity4life

I suspect the club will clarify this in due course but I’d hope that when I purchase my ST/membership I’ll have the option of watching via my sky package at no extra charge instead of the shitty and temperamental ifollow stream. Maybe I’ve not read this correctly? 🤔
I think its sky allowing ifollow uk to show all games including televised so that club a can sell season tickets in a different way

Not sure sky will be doing ppv on their box

BornSlippySkyBlue

This is what I'm saying. It's probably cheaper to buy the overseas iFollow just for away games anyway, then get the ST so you get the shirt (and the ST itself) on top?
I’m a bit worried that they might be better at spotting VPNs following the ‘large update’ they did over the summer. I had issues with a couple of games last year and gave up. Be annoying to spend money on a pass and it not work, and I’m not sure how the request for a refund would work - although I suppose you could say you’d been moved back to the UK unexpectedly or something.

If you want to watch in the ground at any point though, a ST has to be one of your options I’d have thought.

Think I’m going to stick with Sky and ST for now and see how it works out.

shmmeee

I’m a bit worried that they might be better at spotting VPNs following the ‘large update’ they did over the summer. I had issues with a couple of games last year and gave up. Be annoying to spend money on a pass and it not work, and I’m not sure how the request for a refund would work - although I suppose you could say you’d been moved back to the UK unexpectedly or something.

If you want to watch in the ground at any point though, a ST has to be one of your options I’d have thought.

Think I’m going to stick with Sky and ST for now and see how it works out.

This is a good point. I weirdly had access without a VPN all last season and now it doesn’t work.

Are all the games on Sky? I’m thinking at this rate it’s best to go £10/game away then as I won’t watch anything else on Sky and I assume it’s more expensive on average than 2-3 games a month?

chiefdave

Think people are overcomplicating this.

You can buy a season ticket which will give you access to a stream of all home games while playing behind BCD, even games being shown live on Sky.

If you don't have a season ticket you can buy the stream for a single match for £10. All home games will be streamed and away games for teams who are part of the EFL Digital agreement (while BCD). Would guess that clubs that aren't part of the agreement will also offer streams on their own platforms.

Sky will continue with the same EFL coverage they usually have but games being shown live on Sky will no longer mean clubs can't stream them.

pusbccfc

FWIW, if this is correct I hope it sticks after COVID - I think the EFL is missing a huge revenue stream by denying ppl to watch on TV. I doubt that live attendance would be affected much - it's a much better experience for those that live close and can attend easily.

It would massively affect attendances, particularly for away fans.

speedie87

Well I’m well confused by all this. Had 5 season tickets last season in family. Due to family members shielding and generally having to more careful than most I can’t see us being able / wanting to go to games next season.

Was thinking of just renewing one season ticket as a membership to get the free games whilst still bcd, however if they let fans in after a couple of games might only get a couple of free games, and a shirt doing that.

Will games still be able to be purchased after fans are allowed in, now suggesting yes until 50% are allowed back then we don’t know is how I’ve read it.
Then I’ve got sky sports already but will that cover games our games for free or not, will it be in he or not?

Bit of minefield this.. just want to be able to watch all the games, don’tfeel like I could end of forking out for membership, ifollow pass and sky sports!

chiefdave

FWIW, if this is correct I hope it sticks after COVID - I think the EFL is missing a huge revenue stream by denying ppl to watch on TV. I doubt that live attendance would be affected much - it's a much better experience for those that live close and can attend easily.
The genie is out the bottle now, might be hard to go back. Even if they open grounds up completely there will still be people who are nervous about going and prefer to stay at home. Are they going to turn down their money?

Once things are back to normal I've never been convinced streaming has that much of an impact on attendance. Sure on a freezing cold Wednesday in December you might not go to trek all the way to Middlesborough but maybe the EFL could take that as a hint to ensure they schedule longer trips for weekend games.

How many of the dedicated chaps that head off to every away game would stay at home because they could stream it? Not many IMO. Same at home, going to a game is very different to watching a stream.

shmmeee

I just wish they’d bite the bullet and do a U.K. all season pass. It’s the gamble between VPN vs games back quickly vs WTF happens if we’re on Sky that’s hard to balance.

BornSlippySkyBlue

This is a good point. I weirdly had access without a VPN all last season and now it doesn’t work.

Are all the games on Sky? I’m thinking at this rate it’s best to go £10/game away then as I won’t watch anything else on Sky and I assume it’s more expensive on average than 2-3 games a month?
I think all of the non 3pm Saturday games are on Sky (second hand info from a forest fan) or certainly the midweek ones.

It’s just the away games I’m undecided about, probably wait and see how other ‘foreign’ fans get on. If we can, I’d quite like to go to as many as possible, another uncertainty that prevents me buying a season pass on iFollow. Would be worth it if I knew I couldn’t go to away games and I knew there was no other way to access the few that don’t end up on Sky, but I don’t.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Think people are overcomplicating this.

You can buy a season ticket which will give you access to a stream of all home games while playing behind BCD, even games being shown live on Sky.

If you don't have a season ticket you can buy the stream for a single match for £10. All home games will be streamed and away games for teams who are part of the EFL Digital agreement (while BCD). Would guess that clubs that aren't part of the agreement will also offer streams on their own platforms.

Sky will continue with the same EFL coverage they usually have but games being shown live on Sky will no longer mean clubs can't stream them.
Yeah, I guess - probably me being thick, but the complicated bit for me is away games and overlap (I’ll be paying Sky and CCFC for access to the same games). An iFollow season pass (to make sure I’ve got away games covered) on top of that would mean I was paying 3 times in some cases.

Away games - how many won’t be available through my Sky subscription (bearing in mind we don’t know what’s going to happen about BCD or away fans yet)? I guess I’ll just pay per game for any I’m not covered for, if possible.

samccov1987

This sounds pretty reasonable given the circumstances. £10 a game on ifollow so £230 for a full season of home games VS season ticket £260 plus a free shirt and chance to attend games when allowed.

Think with our ticket pricing it causes few problems but with a lot of teams season tickets run far higher - £350 to £500 easily in the championship. Going to pose a question for those fans whether they renew or not.

Obviously no one knows when fans will be back in but I still feel October optimistic and would be surprised if attendances are allowed above 50% at all next season.

VPN and Ifolllow for £140 is the cheapest way but do wonder if they’ll be more robust on VPN’s next year. Gets you away games too.

Just hoping that ifollow launch a smart tv app, with coverage already a bit glitchy air dropping to the tv seems to increase the lag. Although should probably invest in an extra hdmi cable.

Last edited:

SkyBlueMatt

Completely disagree with this. As soon as COVID is over, 3pm KO should be off TV. There's already too many reasons for people not to go to the game, there shouldn't be another.

It will affect attendances, can't see how it won't. I'm hoping that the powers that be understand this.

Its a great stop gap in the mean time though and probably the only way I'm going to get to see them this season.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Otis

im hoping they will do team packages, £460 to watch all the games seems a bit steep.
Why not just go for an extreme titanium stream app.

£80 a year and you get all the Sky Sports, all Sky Movies, all films that haven't even been made yet and to sleep with Jennifer Lawrence, her sister and all her cousins. You also get a free Fortnum and Mason hamper pack and a luxury yacht thrown in for good measure.

Taylor Swift also comes round and empties your bins every other Tuesday.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why not just go for an extreme titanium stream app.

£80 a year and you get all the Sky Sports, all Sky Movies, all films that haven't even been made yet and to sleep with Jennifer Lawrence, her sister and all her cousins. You also get a free Fortnum and Mason hamper pack and a luxury yacht thrown in for good measure.

Taylor Swift also comes round and empties your bins every other Tuesday.

Is 'empties your bins' a euphemism?

Users who are viewing this thread