Sky Blues Trust Guardian link (3 Viewers)

lewys33

I wouldn't say it is a clear threat. A clear threat would use WILL rather than IF but maybe it is a heads up with a bit of a a scare with the letterheaded paper?

maybe you should see if there is a "we will" in the letter then? ;)

NorthernWisdom

In which case you could argue that a phone call from a director/official at the club saying we are taking action against the Guardian it would be sensible to take it down would have sufficed?

was the Trust the only website to publish the link on 02/12/13? I assume they got similar letters?

** didnt see your edit NW sorry

Yup, i did edit my post with the revision as you suggest, so I'm not disagreeing with you!

Would have deleted it, but I assumed it'd have already been read by the time I got to the delete, so thought an edit was better. How wrong was I :(

Nick

Administrator
maybe you should see if there is a "we will" in the letter then? ;)

The one that starts with "if our client does seem it necessary" :)

I do think it is a heads up with a bit of a scare tactic built in.

In the past if anything has upset on here, it is usually via phone call / email though.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Yup, i did edit my post with the revision as you suggest, so I'm not disagreeing with you!

Would have deleted it, but I assumed it'd have already been read by the time I got to the delete, so thought an edit was better. How wrong was I :(

You werent NW we are still agreeing :D should have edited my post

lewys33

The one that starts with "if our client does seem it necessary" :)

I do think it is a heads up with a bit of a scare tactic built in.

In the past if anything has upset on here, it is usually via phone call / email though.

yes, so it does not use an if or will, it uses both. Which to me suggests a threat. Is a heads up with a bit of a scare tactic built in not a threat?

skybluetony176

I wouldn't say it is a clear threat. A clear threat would use WILL rather than IF but maybe it is a heads up with a bit of a a scare with the letterheaded paper?

some might say their was no "direct" threat, in the same way their was no "direct" offer. ;)

RoboCCFC90

I know this may be an unpopular thing to say but...

Isn't that letter effectively saying 'we don't want to sue you as collatoral damage, so here's a heads up'?

Actually scrub that, you'd just offer a nod and w ink rather than a formal letter, wouldn't you.

Just one question regarding all of this, who calls themselves Speechly Bircham?? :pointlaugh:

Nick

Administrator
yes, so it does not use an if or will, it uses both. Which to me suggests a threat. Is a heads up with a bit of a scare tactic built in not a threat?

No, I think it is potentially like bit of something to "bear in mind" I guess.

The Trust were a bit naughty by republishing it but it is an easy mistake to make.

People try to put the scares on people, just ask the person on here who was sending me correspondence that their solicitor had notified them about statements made about said person on here, when I asked if they could link me to the threads I magically never heard anything again. Just by using the word solicitor it makes it a bit scarier, doesn't it? I still keep asking if I can help and if they can use the report functionality and we can deal with it but the last was that their solicitor was looking into it to see what action they can take.

I could say is it OK for fellow city fans to threaten me because somebody has said something they disagree with on a football forum and even after me asking for the "post" so it could be dealt with they still talk about solicitor's action?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Threat is not necessarily a persons actions but how the person receiving the information perceives it .

Clearly the basis of the letter is do as we say or there could be consequences relating to other information that quite rightly can not be made public by the Trust.

Is it reasonable for a group of football fans at the Trust to feel threatened by the tone of the letter? The implications if they didnt do as told and the Guardian were sued and lost could be substantial financial loss. If there was no threat based on potential financial loss and no merit in the possiblity of legal action then you could ignore the letter. But would any one here actually do that based on what is published?

In the general sense It is not about whether you win the case it is very much about the cost of fighting the case, the time to fight the case and the effect on business family and personal life.................. not necessarily about who is wrong or right and those with the deepest pockets can control the freedom of information and opinion.

Just my opinion

Nick

Administrator
Is it reasonable for a group of football fans at the Trust to feel threatened by the tone of the letter? The implications if they didnt do as told and the Guardian were sued and lost could be substantial financial loss. If there was no threat based on potential financial loss and no merit in the possiblity of legal action then you could ignore the letter. But would any one here actually do that based on what is published?
n

I don't agree with it but it is only the same as something like a forum or blog etc isn't it when it comes to content?

RoboCCFC90

Should call themselves 'Squeeky Bottom'!!! LOL! Love it!!!

That's how the Trust are feeling at the moment*

*Sorry if this offends anyone but couldn't resist :)

NorthernWisdom

I don't agree with it but it is only the same as something like a forum or blog etc isn't it when it comes to content?

I think as (finally :D) mentioned, even if you take it as a friendly warning for the benefit of the trust... it's pretty shoddy to send a letter rather than a friendly communication, especially as the head of the trust is on the SCG, so not like Fisher couldn't tip him off after the meeting, is it!

And I have to admit, having once had to deal with a pack of legal letters myself over the most trivial of disputes where the aggressors had no leg to stand on, the initial response is one of 'oh bugger'. If someone calls me a twat on here then, well... I probably have no leg to stand on ;) If they threaten to get legal backing up that I *am* a twat, then things become very different.

After you stop and think about it, you realise there's nothing there, but the formality of it all makes something serious where it doesn't have to be.

Nick

Administrator
I think as (finally :D) mentioned, even if you take it as a friendly warning for the benefit of the trust... it's pretty shoddy to send a letter rather than a friendly communication, especially as the head of the trust is on the SCG, so not like Fisher couldn't tip him off after the meeting, is it!

And I have to admit, having once had to deal with a pack of legal letters myself over the most trivial of disputes where the aggressors had no leg to stand on, the initial response is one of 'oh bugger'. If someone calls me a twat on here then, well... I probably have no leg to stand on ;) If they threaten to get legal backing up that I *am* a twat, then things become very different.

After you stop and think about it, you realise there's nothing there, but the formality of it all makes something serious where it doesn't have to be.

I agree, a nice phone call or a "can I have a word" would have been a lot better though.

Bully boy (girl) tactics. Leaves a very nasty taste when the club turns on its own fans. Usually a sign of losing arguments when your only weapon is to shut people up.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
either it is a heavy handed way of giving "advice" or it is a threat (which ever way you view it, that came from high powered expensive London lawyers acting for the club & owners)............. either way it doesnt come over as a shining example of fans relations does it.:facepalm:

Last edited:

James Smith

The trust DID republish it by sending it out in an email not just posting a link to it....It was copied and pasted from the Guardian and sent out to all trust members which is maybe their point? IF facts are untrue, the Trust have emailed out 2000 plus people with potentially libellous information which you can't really do as that is re-publishing the same information?

IF Sisu can prove that a lot of it is inaccurate then I am sure it would be changed?

How much input did the Trust have in the article? Could that be why SISU have an interest in the trust for this?

I agree that sending out a copy of the article, not just the link would constitute publication. As to whether the content is materially inaccurate, misleading and distorted that will be for someone else to decide.

Last edited:

Noggin

No, An actual letter from a solicitor is a million miles away from the random forum post that says "if you don't do what I want I'll set my solicitor on you" especially when the first comes from people whose MO is sueing those that in their mind wrong them, and the later is a random person on the internet, where alot of BS is said.

NorthernWisdom

either it is a heavy handed way of giving "advice" or it is a threat (which ever way it you view it, that came from high powered expensive London lawyers acting for the club & owners)............. either way it doesnt come over as a shining example of fans relations does it.

No, that's the problem isn't it.

Even if taking a position SISU know what they're doing financially, it's safe to say their ability to relate to their customer base and build bridges needs a little work...(!)

Noggin

I don't see any way at all to read that letter other than a threat. There is no way to interpret it as advice thinking of them. Choosing to sue the SBT if they go after the guardian is a choice, it doesn't happen automatically and they are saying if you don't do what we ask and we sue the guardian we WILL sue you too and you will be jointly liable.

lewys33

For all we know this is SISU saying to their lawyers "threaten to sue the guardian and anyone who has played a part in this" and the lawyers have taken it a bit too far! Who knows.

Noggin

When unsure give sisu the benefit of the doubt, a worthy plan that would have put you on the correct side of a situation, umm never.

Captain Dart

I think some details of this episode should be passed on to private eye ;-)

Astute

Go on SISUE. Try litigation on someone bigger than yourselves for once. Try it with someone that is also used to going to court. Even better I hope the Guardian starts litigation for defamation. The article looks quite truthful to most of us. They are calling you liars Guardian. What are you waiting for?

James Smith

I don't see any way at all to read that letter other than a threat. There is no way to interpret it as advice thinking of them. Choosing to sue the SBT if they go after the guardian is a choice, it doesn't happen automatically and they are saying if you don't do what we ask and we sue the guardian we WILL sue you too and you will be jointly liable.
Actually in defamation cases you do have to defend yourself against all publishers because not doing so weakens your defence.

If someone says something defamatory about you and you don't take action against them but you do against someone who said the same thing or repeated the allegations. Then the party who you take action against can point to the lack of action taken against the person who repeated or made the same allegations.

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

I would be interested to know which bit of the article they disagree with.

All looks pretty accurate to me.

RoboCCFC90

I would be interested to know which bit of the article they disagree with.

All looks pretty accurate to me.

Is it this part?

"Despite everything, in the summer ACL still offered Sisu dramatic rent reductions, but Sisu refused and instead decided to move Coventry City to Northampton."

Now if am wrong didn't the offer get made to the administrator Paull Appleton?

I wanted to put the whole article on here and decipher it but knowing Sisu they'll get their lawyers to sign up on here SpeechlyBirchamSISUED and send me a private message telling me to delete my comment.. :slap:

Captain Dart

This effectively means that if SISU disagree with a media article it becomes a personal risk to pass a link or reference to that article whether their objections have merit or not.

It is a form of censorship IMHO as a body like SBT can't take a risk like that.

Nick

Administrator
I would also like to know the bits they didn't agree with but as the trust were re-publishing it that surely by the eyes of the law SISU would have a case? Morally, I think it is wrong.

It would be interesting to see whether it was SISU disagreeing or factually incorrect though?

skybluetony176

Is it this part?

"Despite everything, in the summer ACL still offered Sisu dramatic rent reductions, but Sisu refused and instead decided to move Coventry City to Northampton."

Now if am wrong didn't the offer get made to the administrator Paull Appleton?

Ahh you mean another not "direct" offer. Wasn't PA working for sh1tsue at the time? i would have thought he would have been honour bound to at the very least infor them that an offer had been made.

Grendel

If SISU do sue the Guardian and their action fails, are they liable for damages automatically or would the Guardian have to sue for damage to their reputation?

They have no intention of suing them as I'm sure you are aware.

Sky Blue Pete

I am horrified if any fan of our club thinks that it is appropriate for that letter to have been sent! Just send the letter advising which areas are incorrect and ask for it to be published with as much prominence. Sbt will link that too. It is a clear fuck off to sbt and exactly how bullies behave when they feel threatened

Users who are viewing this thread