Sky Blues boss: I have no plans to sell off Carl Baker, Leon Clarke and Joe Murphy (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

Coventry City boss Steven Pressley has moved to reassure supporters that the club has no plans to sell off Carl Baker, Leon Clarke and Joe Murphy.

National newspapers were today suggesting that the high-profile trio have been told that they will be sacrificed to slash £1million off the wage bill.

But Pressley explained to the Telegraph: “That is categorically not the case. These are three key players for the football club and I am desperately keen to keep all of them.

“I did speak to them on Friday after we received our ten-point deduction but nobody told me to do that. It was entirely a management decision – my decision – and nothing whatsoever to do with financial matters.

“The truth is that I wanted to reassure myself that they are still fully motivated and committed to the club despite the fact that instead of pushing for promotion, as we had hoped, we find ourselves in a relegation battle.

“That’s not a major problem for the youngsters because they just want to be out there playing football. But it could potentially be a consideration for senior players who, at this stage of their careers, have got their sights on playing in the Championship.

“I was delighted with their response because they all told me that they are happy despite all that’s gone on in recent weeks and months – so unless I hear differently from them or their agents, that’s how we’ll carry on.”

The Penguin

Alas, while I believe Pressley to be genuine, that still doesn't convince me that those above him won't still act and try to move these players on.

Also, there's the thing that shmeeeeeeeeeeee linked to!

valiant15

So is baker telling lies on Facebook/twitter or is puppet Presley trying to feed is this seasonal bullshit of 'we're not selling our best players' blah blah?

RPHunt

Anyone else think that Pressley may not last long enough to be in charge of a game at Sixfields?

Delboycov

Tend to believe Carl Baker on this and I've now seen him confirm it 3 times so would think Pressley is trying to play it down saying we don't need to sell so as not to drive down transfer fees even further than they will be already. Would doubt that Bakes will make any further comment now though!

J

Jack Griffin

He is "desperately keen to keep all of them" but probably will not have a say in it.

If he is now making statements that say the decisions being made by the board are against his wishes he will be on his way soon enough.

Moff

Cue a resignation when they leave against his will!

Perhaps we will bring in Dulieu as the next boss!

shmmeee

That latest Baker post reads like an hostage statement. Someone demand a picture of him with today's newspaper.

Sub

the manager will have no choice if the owners decide to sell these players, as it has always been the board will decide who stays and who goes. it happened before with deluie, igwi, fisher ect ect the manger has no say in it at all. To add to that the players will have no choice either and can not be blamed for getting out of this shit situation if the chance arises or they are told to go.

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

He's telling the truth. There are no plans. He's just missing out the additional bit that they have been told as soon as someone makes an offer they can leave or similar.
In fact it appears there are no plans full stop!!!

DazzleTommyDazzle

All the players have a price nobody safe while sisu are in charge.

To be fair, all the players always have had a price and very probably that will never change.

The problem is that given the destruction of our revenues by moving to Northampton, the need to sell will become greater and the ability to hold out for a better price will become weaker.

ajsccfc

Pretty much every player we have is available for the right price, which has surely been the case for years. The only proof we'll have of anything is if the window shuts with them still here.

valiant15

The only way those 3 will still be here is if nobody else wants them not that the club has demanded that they stay.

T

true sky blue

oh come on who in there right minds would pay for them? theyre league is legaue 1 and to be frank what team would need them? they havent exactly covered themselves in glory in league 1 have they

ajsccfc

Clarke and Baker both spent last season firing in the goals in league one. You're a really shit gimmick.

D

Deleted member 4439

Coventry City boss Mandy Rice Davies has moved to reassure supporters that the club has no plans to sell off Carl Baker, Leon Clarke and Joe Murphy.

National newspapers were today suggesting that the high-profile trio have been told that they will be sacrificed to slash £1million off the wage bill.

But Pressley explained to the Telegraph: “That is categorically not the case. These are three key players for the football club and I am desperately keen to keep all of them.

“I did speak to them on Friday after we received our ten-point deduction but nobody told me to do that. It was entirely a management decision – my decision – and nothing whatsoever to do with financial matters.

“The truth is that I wanted to reassure myself that they are still fully motivated and committed to the club despite the fact that instead of pushing for promotion, as we had hoped, we find ourselves in a relegation battle.

“That’s not a major problem for the youngsters because they just want to be out there playing football. But it could potentially be a consideration for senior players who, at this stage of their careers, have got their sights on playing in the Championship.

“I was delighted with their response because they all told me that they are happy despite all that’s gone on in recent weeks and months – so unless I hear differently from them or their agents, that’s how we’ll carry on.”

M&B Stand

He may well have no plans to sell them....it's above him anyway. We looked like we're heading non league bound. A ground we can't afford to play in and owners who haven't a scooby. Where's them razer blades?

J

Jack Griffin

Baker denied on his facebook and ties in the Pressley version....

Just a damage limitation exercise after the mail journo let the cat out of the bag.

If you read what he said carefully it doesn't actually say he won't be going either.

Users who are viewing this thread