Sky Blue Song (1 Viewer)

glasgowfan

It's many many years since I've been able to watch City live, but I try to watch most matches online. Always great support, but when I hear the Sky Blue Song it really bugs me. Everyone starts at too high a pitch and it's soon up in the ultrasound region and painful to the ear. It was fine when Jimmy Hill introduced it at HR 60-odd years ago, but it was really brought home to me when I recently watched a repeat of the 1987 final, and the Sky Blue song was great, but for some reason over the years, it's just got higher and higher and way beyond the vocal range of most supporters. Was it the move to the Arena that caused the change?
Should we send everyone for singing lessons? Or have a singing exam before granting a season ticket? ;)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I don't think it's sung half as much as it used to be because there are quite a lot of other songs fans now sing, but you're right . No one can get to the high on " Tottenham" . because the whole song begins pitched too high .

If you can sing it perfectly you should get money off your season ticket, car parking or a voucher for the shop.

Otis

It's many many years since I've been able to watch City live, but I try to watch most matches online. Always great support, but when I hear the Sky Blue Song it really bugs me. Everyone starts at too high a pitch and it's soon up in the ultrasound region and painful to the ear. It was fine when Jimmy Hill introduced it at HR 60-odd years ago, but it was really brought home to me when I recently watched a repeat of the 1987 final, and the Sky Blue song was great, but for some reason over the years, it's just got higher and higher and way beyond the vocal range of most supporters. Was it the move to the Arena that caused the change?
Should we send everyone for singing lessons? Or have a singing exam before granting a season ticket? ;)
It's got higher and higher because all the boys are transitioning into girls. 🤪

Covkid1968#

I think it fizzles out a lot more than it used to… maybe some can’t reach the notes. !!

OffenhamSkyBlue

It's got higher and higher because all the boys are transitioning into girls. 🤪
I assumed it was all the coke and laughing gas they were consuming!

But the key change at the start of the "Tottenham" line has been like that as long as i have been going, which is over 40 years. Not all of us are operatic tenors to be able to cope with the required vocal range of Etonian schoolboys.

Gynnsthetonic

We often sing it way too fast and the vast majority still manage to lose interest come the end. Its very rare there is a decent rendition these days. It's also sung way too often - should be once or twice a game max.
Once or twice a season would be better. Think it's had its day now

Flying Fokker

No longer works for me. It’s past it’s sell by date. Really impressed with the Enemy song at the start. How good was that? As for any new songs/chants, they need to be pitched right and as ‘catchy’ as the Maidstone lads sang last night.

Bugsy

Nah I'm not having it, I grew up with the song my son loves it and sings it loud and proud and it's unique to our football club. It stays for me even with the high notes, least it's not some shit hash of another team tune... PUSB

Brighton Sky Blue

The We’ll Live and Die In These Towns before kick off is pretty deafening now. Pity it only roused our players for 50 seconds against PNE but really liked it on Friday and last night.

pusbccfc

Away from home, with no more than 2500 fans, it's one of the loudest and most passionate anthems.

At home, it's poor. It's too short to get going. People sing it too quickly* edit*.

It's good that we have WLADITT orchestrated now but PUSB needs it. The best rendition in my lifetime was on the last day of Highfield Road when Jimmy led it.

Not sure how, but something like this and this speed would be incredible.

Last edited:

Saddlebrains

I get Hills point tbf

It isnt great

However, i would never get rid of it as its ours. It should be sung loudly at the start of each game (after K.O), and I've always found it gets sung at its best and most passionate when were either backs to the wall defending for our lives, or all over team looking for a winner with 5 minutes to go.

At them points, i dont think anything beats it in our repertoire 🤷

Saddlebrains

The rendition in this after the 'Stand up' is the best ever at the CBS.

There was a great rendition last night as well after that. It almost takes people to stand up around the ground for it to work.

Agreed. The crowd need to be bouncing and up for it, when they are its a fantastic anthem.

When it's attempted 12 times in a turgid 1 - 1 Draw with Blackburn and everyones sitting down, it sounds shit

bigfatronssba

I consider people who try to get rid of our club’s traditions because they’re “outdated” to be in the same category as the idiots who “modernised” our city centre by replacing all the beautiful old buildings with concrete shite

San Francisco

No one sings it properly so it sounds off compared to how it was sung back in years gone. The first line "let's all sing together" isn't even sung (ironically) then the rest of it is barely sung to it's original tune.

Think we all could do with singing practice at the CBS on non matchdays.

Tommo1993

In its very original tone, it sounds even more dull and dreary. Think that’s why it’s in a higher pitch.

hill83

I get Hills point tbf

It isnt great

However, i would never get rid of it as its ours. It should be sung loudly at the start of each game (after K.O), and I've always found it gets sung at its best and most passionate when were either backs to the wall defending for our lives, or all over team looking for a winner with 5 minutes to go.

At them points, i dont think anything beats it in our repertoire 🤷

Fuck you

Users who are viewing this thread