Site confirmed for New stadium (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

There’s definitely a chance of that. I’m pleased that our clear advice about concrete progress on new stadium. I take grendels point though that it doesn’t say too much but we need to expect some clear progress nice and quickly

mrtrench

How wonderful for students, being in such easy access of the ground. One of my mates went to the Lanch in the 80s and went to HR - still has a soft spot for the city. I expect many more fans as a result. If the club is smart it will do half-price or less tickets for the students.

Bugsy

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

How wonderful for students, being in such easy access of the ground. One of my mates went to the Lanch in the 80s and went to HR - still has a soft spot for the city. I expect many more fans as a result. If the club is smart it will do half-price or less tickets for the students.

Warwick Uni students are a slightly different kettle of fish to the old Poly students, but I reckon a few will be enticed to have a look (should it actually happen).

kapowaz

I’ve mocked up what the proposed location might look like with the addition of the A46 Strategic Link Road and the new Coventry South station, along with what I expect will be a necessary linking road between the A46 SLR and Gibbet Hill Road (along with the HS2 route, since that would go very near by, although alas without a station any nearer than Brum).

I have to say this looks pretty damned good. Screw the Ricoh, they can tear it down.

1595428416941.png

kapowaz

Looking more closely at the map around the Uni grounds, this is another possible site in the area, close to the Gibbet Hill roundabout. Leighfield Road has a nice ring to it for a new stadium, too.

1595428766611.png
1595428890136.png

Seamus1

I think the first one is more the right location, the press release talked of agricultural land, whereas the second picture is already used for cricket purposes I believe.

chiefdave

Think you might need to go a little bit south as I believe the uni have plans to put a massive car park there.

Although that could all tie in and the location of the stadium and car park compliment each other.

ricohroar

I’ve mocked up what the proposed location might look like with the addition of the A46 Strategic Link Road and the new Coventry South station, along with what I expect will be a necessary linking road between the A46 SLR and Gibbet Hill Road (along with the HS2 route, since that would go very near by, although alas without a station any nearer than Brum).

I have to say this looks pretty damned good. Screw the Ricoh, they can tear it down.

View attachment 15983
Looks good, even better that my house is on this pic :) easy for me to stagger home after

Seamus1

One thing I do hope they will think of doing is create some kind of bank and/or wooded boundary to soften crowd noise between the stadium and the posh houses. Don’t want to make any more enemies

mark82

One thing I do hope they will think of doing is create some kind of bank and/or wooded boundary to soften crowd noise between the stadium and the posh houses. Don’t want to make any more enemies

Talking of which, did anyone hear Cllr. John Blundell's interview regarding the new stadium this morning. Heard a snippet which sounded like it might have been negative (unsurprising as he's well entrenched in all of this and I believe he lives by the university). Anyone hear what was said?

Frostie

Talking of which, did anyone hear Cllr. John Blundell's interview regarding the new stadium this morning. Heard a snippet which sounded like it might have been negative (unsurprising as he's well entrenched in all of this and I believe he lives by the university). Anyone hear what was said?

Here, from around 2hr 16mins in, not listened myself yet.
Snippets of presenters I heard on the show were very sceptical, bordering on snide - doubt he'll be much different.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator

This John Blundell?

George-Duggins-at-Ricoh.jpg

This guy?

Opposition leader Councillor John Blundell (Conservative, Wainbody) told Tuesday's meeting the Tory group would lend its support to Wasps' bid.

"After some initial reservations, and after listening to the arguments and after many hours of discussion, we will be minded to support the resolution subject to further consideration in private," he said.

"If Wasps are successful they would want to build a training facility in the Coventry area.

Another c**t who swallowed it all.

kapowaz

Also, in addition to the VLR station, do you know where the city/county border is?

I spent a lot of time poring over the maps today to see if any of the existing plans for the VLR might take it near the stadium, and they don’t. The best guess I have is it’d go down the Kenilworth Road as far as Gibbet Hill Road, but there’s lots of question marks over how it could even reach that far (like crossing Kenpas Highway?).

mark82

I spent a lot of time poring over the maps today to see if any of the existing plans for the VLR might take it near the stadium, and they don’t. The best guess I have is it’d go down the Kenilworth Road as far as Gibbet Hill Road, but there’s lots of question marks over how it could even reach that far (like crossing Kenpas Highway?).

It's a tram system, so could/would use the road network. Goes along some similar roads for brief periods in Sheffield.

Frostie

Very sketchy plans
Thinks it will be to the South of Gibbett Hill Road
Insufficient infrastructure
Residents will be unhappy
Refers to it as an "issue" for residents to contend with
Stoneleigh Rd & Gibbett Hill already total bottle neck, grave concern
Very long process, at least 5 years
Irresponsible to undertake a project without resident approval

Nick

Administrator
Here, from around 2hr 16mins in, not listened myself yet.
Snippets of presenters I heard on the show were very sceptical, bordering on snide - doubt he'll be much different.

So he was stood on Kenilworth Road saying he couldn't say where it would go. Fucking obvious really, dickheads.

Blundell is going to be a NIMBY, pretty obvious. Maybe he can move next to the Ricoh so he can be closer to Wasps.

mark82

Very sketchy plans
Thinks it will be to the South of Gibbett Hill Road
Insufficient infrastructure
Residents will be unhappy
Refers to it as an "issue" for residents to contend with
Stoneleigh Rd & Gibbett Hill already total bottle neck, grave concern
Very long process, at least 5 years
Irresponsible to undertake a project without resident approval

They're doing their very best to write this off.

kapowaz

It's a tram system, so could/would use the road network. Goes along some similar roads for brief periods in Sheffield.

Sure, but the turning circle is much broader, so you can’t navigate narrower or twisty roads. I couldn’t see a tram making its way along Gibbet Hill Road - especially with a load of match day traffic clogging it up.

Users who are viewing this thread