Site confirmed for New stadium (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Shock, Gilbert trying his best as well to spin things.

It's no wonder some people are totally clueless.

I bet CCC are fucking desperate to find out the exact site to try and put a stop to it.

kapowaz

Very sketchy plans
Thinks it will be to the South of Gibbett Hill Road
Insufficient infrastructure
Residents will be unhappy
Refers to it as an "issue" for residents to contend with
Stoneleigh Rd & Gibbett Hill already total bottle neck, grave concern
Very long process, at least 5 years
Irresponsible to undertake a project without resident approval

I’d say all of these were fair concerns if it wasn’t for the fact there’s a ton of infrastructure redevelopment already in motion. It’s actually extremely savvy of SISU to pick this site with this in mind: in ~5 years time there could be the new A46 Stoneleigh Junction, the A46 Strategic Link Road, a new Coventry South railway station near the Kenilworth Road, and a bunch of new homes in the King’s Hill area. I think the planning permission for a football stadium will be a lot easier with all that going on, since they address the main concerns.

mr_monkey

Shock, Gilbert trying his best as well to spin things.

It's no wonder some people are totally clueless.

I bet CCC are fucking desperate to find out the exact site to try and put a stop to it.

Hopefully they do a wasps and hide behind a nda

chiefdave

I spent a lot of time poring over the maps today to see if any of the existing plans for the VLR might take it near the stadium, and they don’t. The best guess I have is it’d go down the Kenilworth Road as far as Gibbet Hill Road, but there’s lots of question marks over how it could even reach that far (like crossing Kenpas Highway?).
What route maps are you looking at? The initial plan was supposed to be for the first line to go city centre to Walsgrave Hospital and then extend out the other way to service the Uni. Unless that's changed that should be useful.

There's also the proposed Kings Hill rail station would could potentially (depending on its exact location and where the entrances are) be a 10 minute walk from the University.

chiefdave

Very sketchy plans
He's one of my councillors so I'll be sending in an email to let him know I'm not happy with his comments. To be honest I expected it to be uproar around here when it was suggested as the locals like to object to anything but its been overwhelmingly positive so far.

Maybe as the local councillor since 2002 instead of moaning about existing bottle necks he could try doing something to resolve the issue.

kapowaz

What route maps are you looking at? The initial plan was supposed to be for the first line to go city centre to Walsgrave Hospital and then extend out the other way to service the Uni. Unless that's changed that should be useful.

8c062ad28f312fe2d0b83c0fae40db12.jpg

Somebody posted a PDF of the plans for the A46 Stoneleigh Junction work in another thread, and it contains this map. As you can see the dotted brown line is the VLR as planned, which lined up with a loop along Kenilworth Road as far as Kenpas Hwy, then back around to the city centre.

The Coventry South station on this map would probably be the one for King’s Hill: the development extends right up to the railway line just south of the playing fields of Finham Park School (my old school!)

shmmeee

He's one of my councillors so I'll be sending in an email to let him know I'm not happy with his comments. To be honest I expected it to be uproar around here when it was suggested as the locals like to object to anything but its been overwhelmingly positive so far.

Maybe as the local councillor since 2002 instead of moaning about existing bottle necks he could try doing something to resolve the issue.

I genuinely think an organised pro build campaign will be needed. The NIMBYs of South Cov are organised and time rich and already have the ear of local councillors. Also the words Sisu and University are like a red rag to a lot of Coventry voters.

Might be a useful focal point for all those fan groups we’ve collected recently.

mark82

I genuinely think an organised pro build campaign will be needed. The NIMBYs of South Cov are organised and time rich and already have the ear of local councillors. Also the words Sisu and University are like a red rag to a lot of Coventry voters.

Might be a useful focal point for all those fan groups we’ve collected recently.

Yep, although clearly we need to get to that stage first!

clint van damme

Very sketchy plans

to be honest these concerns would apply to pretty much anywhere this stadium was getting built within the city.
I disagree that Gibbet Hill is a total bottle neck, there are far worse congestion hot spots in the city.

My main concern is that the objections of the residents of Gibbet Hill carry a lot more gravitas than those of residents elsewhere.

NorthernWisdom

to be honest these concerns would apply to pretty much anywhere this stadium was getting built within the city.
I disagree that Gibbet Hill is a total bottle neck, there are far worse congestion hot spots in the city.

My main concern is that the objections of the residents of Gibbet Hill carry a lot more gravitas than those of residents elsewhere.
Does Joe Elliot still live up there?

Liquid Gold

I’ve mocked up what the proposed location might look like with the addition of the A46 Strategic Link Road and the new Coventry South station, along with what I expect will be a necessary linking road between the A46 SLR and Gibbet Hill Road (along with the HS2 route, since that would go very near by, although alas without a station any nearer than Brum).

I have to say this looks pretty damned good. Screw the Ricoh, they can tear it down.

View attachment 15983
1595446700570.png

Better

chiefdave

I think this is where the partnership with the Uni could really work in our favour. If someone objects saying you can't get 20K people to the site you can point out that there's over 6,600 staff and 26,500 full time students that get in and out.

And if planning is needed for any infrastructure put it in as the uni. Should make it harder for people like councillors to be seen objecting.

samccov1987

Personally think they need to move it further away from cryfield heights as those lot will complain.
The relief road is a big plus though as east Coventry could take the 46 and swing west on the new road, likewise leam and Warwick.

The Trainline is already there for the kings hill station and would suit me living in bedrock plus there’s stations mooted for foleshill and Coundon. Plus the brum line is expected to add a station for Binley/willlenhall.

Now like the Ricoh I could see the stadium going up before the travel infrastructure but it really does look to me the best place to build unless Cov Council realise City Centre South is a dud and we can have a central ground (costs of which would be far higher).

CCFC54321

Wasn’t highfield road a bottle neck and bitch to park and suffered congestion etc for all home games?

But we loved it didn’t we?

samccov1987

Wasn’t highfield road a bottle neck and bitch to park and suffered congestion etc for all home games?

But we loved it didn’t we?

it’s funny but never found highfield road a problem; old man always parked in town and we walked up or when I started going with my mates we just walked/staggered.

loved the walk up raglan street and the buzz pre match. Great days

Sky Blue Pete

Talking of which, did anyone hear Cllr. John Blundell's interview regarding the new stadium this morning. Heard a snippet which sounded like it might have been negative (unsurprising as he's well entrenched in all of this and I believe he lives by the university). Anyone hear what was said?
Heard the following comments he was just before dave from the trust. Sounded like he’d said it would be doffficult and take a lot work to make it work . The planning guy said difficult but not impossible

WestEndAgro

Not that
Not ideal but I like the Roost so ok with me....caveat....in the knowledge we will be going home to our own ground.
Love the Roost also, I'm told we will never play at the Richo again.

kapowaz

Now like the Ricoh I could see the stadium going up before the travel infrastructure but it really does look to me the best place to build unless Cov Council realise City Centre South is a dud and we can have a central ground (costs of which would be far higher).

Being out of the city for so many years I don’t hear about most of these developments until they’re built, but it’s interesting reading about that development - I always thought the best site for a new stadium would be where West Orchards is today. Knock it down, build another complex in its place with the stadium on top. There’s a stadium in Serbia I think that’s built on top of a shopping centre.

skyblue1991

Not that

Love the Roost also, I'm told we will never play at the Richo again.
You seem to know a lot about what's going on regarding stadium as proven in the last few days from your post 6 years ago!

Donyou know if either Wasps or SISU attempted negotiations to get back to the Ricoh or as soon as the deal at St Andrews was signed it was case closed?

What is the status with the EC complaint?

If the new stadium takes 5 years to build, what happens after the two years at St Andrews?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread