Simeon Jackson (1 Viewer)

Manchester_sky_blue

To me, that record says that in all of the teams where he has started regularly he has scored a decent haul of goals. The fact that he scored well in league 2, 1 and the champ shows that he can play at a higher level (or at least he could back then, I am prepared to accept that he may no longer be the player he was).

His goals dried up when he ceased to get regular starts.

Sick Boy

What is it about ccfc fans and latching onto shit players and over hyping their ability? He wasn't good enough.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He wasn't very good, but like with Nouble, I wish we had kept him. We currently own one striker, who despite his good hold up play, is far from a natural goalscorer.
I think Mowbray let go Nouble, Jackson and Miller thinking SISU would back him with the money to bring in 2/3 strikers.
Wheres the evidence we won't sign more strikers before the end of the window? In fact I think the evidence overwhelmingly points firmly towards that he will be signing more strikers.

He let them go because he thought he could better players than them and I believe he will.

Astute

My guess would be that one striker will come before the start of the season. Then he will wait to see which Prem players will be available for loans and go for two of them. They will come in late, but we will have sufficient until then.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

hill83

Seriously Simeon Jackson is the best striker Pressley has been afforded in his tenure.

Let's see if he can admit he was wrong this time. 3rd chance fella. Come on, you can do it. No shame in it xx

LJC_CCFC

Let's see if he can admit he was wrong this time. 3rd chance fella. Come on, you can do it. No shame in it xx

bb73f70a9b389ea5a930b816612bf826.jpg

pusbccfc

Wheres the evidence we won't sign more strikers before the end of the window? In fact I think the evidence overwhelmingly points firmly towards that he will be signing more strikers.

He let them go because he thought he could better players than them and I believe he will.

A week to go before the season and we have one striker who will be here for the season, a striker that won't get near 20 goals is worrying. I get the point of holding out till the end of the window, but that means we could theoretically lose 9 points by then due to the lack of goals. That is without adding the time it will take to settle.

SkyBlueCRJ

To me, that record says that in all of the teams where he has started regularly he has scored a decent haul of goals. The fact that he scored well in league 2, 1 and the champ shows that he can play at a higher level (or at least he could back then, I am prepared to accept that he may no longer be the player he was).

His goals dried up when he ceased to get regular starts.

Exactly he could cope back then hence why I truly believed he was a stellar signing for us when he first joined and pointed out his scoring record. But like you said, once his appearances started getting reduced whilst at Norwich his performances and playing ability clearly got worse. Obvious observation I know but the correlation clearly shows this. He certainly isn't the player he once was which is a shame because he's not a bad player. His confidence has just taken a massive hit in recent years. But I think it's highly unlikely that he'll perform to the same level he did at Gillingham/early Norwich career whilst at barnsley. Some players just deteriorate early. Remember Freddy Eastwood, memory serves that he ripped League Two/One apart whilst at Southend in his early days

junglej13

Jackson is a prime example of us signing a 'name' and everyone expecting him to be brilliant. He hasnt scored goals for years now and will not rediscover his form.

SkyBlue_Bear83

A week to go before the season and we have one striker who will be here for the season, a striker that won't get near 20 goals is worrying. I get the point of holding out till the end of the window, but that means we could theoretically lose 9 points by then due to the lack of goals. That is without adding the time it will take to settle.
Its not ideal but how many points will it cost us over the season if he went out and signed the wrong players? A lot more than 9 I would guess

stupot07

He's a poor player who is on the decline, no doubt he will go and score for fun at Barnsley, but really he was poor. I still laugh when I remember Worcester's 36 year old centre half catching up, overtaking and tackling Jackson despite Jackson having a 10 yard head start.

The starts angle is a load of bollocks too, you'd look at last season's stats and say he scored 3 in 12 league starts, but the truth is he only scored 1 in 12 league starts, the other 2 were substitute appearances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

He's a poor player who is on the decline, no doubt he will go and score for fun at Barnsley, but really he was poor. I still laugh when I remember Worcester's 36 year old centre half catching up, overtaking and tackling Jackson despite Jackson having a 10 yard head start.

The starts angle is a load of bollocks too, you'd look at last season's stats and say he scored 3 in 12 league starts, but the truth is he only scored 1 in 12 league starts, the other 2 were substitute appearances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

And the one against Fleetwood was a tap-in from 1cm out!

Nah, he was rubbish, he really was. I had great hopes for him and he was a massive disappointment. The only positive is that we were probably spending a fair whack on his wages, like Barton, and he's/they're gone now, so we will undoubtedly get better bang for our buck if that money is invested in Mowbray-signed players.

stupot07

And the one against Fleetwood was a tap-in from 1cm out!

Nah, he was rubbish, he really was. I had great hopes for him and he was a massive disappointment. The only positive is that we were probably spending a fair whack on his wages, like Barton, and he's/they're gone now, so we will undoubtedly get better bang for our buck if that money is invested in Mowbray-signed players.

You weren't the only one, I thought he (and Tudguy but I could see he was worth keeping) would score for fun in this league. :(

Nonleagueherewecome

Whatever our budget was last season, it must have been the most under-achieving one due to so many duff signings over the past couple of seasons. That is at least some cause for optimism. Not every signing we make this window will come off, but you have to expect the "hit" ratio to improve dramatically, that should see us progress somewhat.

LJC_CCFC

I think most people - myself included hill! - were basing their views/thoughts on the idea that Jackson still had his pace, which had previously made him an effective player.

Still not quite sure how a 27 year old can have such a dramatic loss of pace without having suffered a significant debilitating injury - unless of course he had suffered one and kept it quiet.

More to the point, how SP and co didn't realise this prior to signing him is baffling - or maybe not so considering it was SP. A damning indictment of his tenure if ever there was one tbh.

Nonleagueherewecome

I think most people - myself included hill! - were basing their views/thoughts on the idea that Jackson still had his pace, which had previously made him an effective player.

Still not quite sure how a 27 year old can have such a dramatic loss of pace without having suffered a significant debilitating injury - unless of course he had suffered one and kept it quiet.

More to the point, how SP and co didn't realise this prior to signing him is baffling - or maybe not so considering it was SP. A damning indictment of his tenure if ever there was one tbh.

He just didn't seem to have the extra gears any more, but maybe it was because he just wasn't motivated. Reminded me of Joachim until Black got hold of him and got him playing again. I guess we'll find out if he can still do it based on how he does at Barnsley. I don't mind him scoring against us as long as we go back to sticking 4 past them like we always used to back in the glorious Championship era...

stupot07

He just didn't seem to have the extra gears any more, but maybe it was because he just wasn't motivated. Reminded me of Joachim until Black got hold of him and got him playing again. I guess we'll find out if he can still do it based on how he does at Barnsley. I don't mind him scoring against us as long as we go back to sticking 4 past them like we always used to back in the glorious Championship era...

I think it was telling that he didn't get many minutes under Mowbray.

LJC_CCFC

Still have yet to see anything official regarding Jackson and Barnsley. They've apparently bid for Rochdale's Ian Henderson for a second time today, having had their first bid knocked back.

hill83

There we go. Wasn't so difficult was it?
I thought he'd do well myself when he came in, but for various reasons obviously didn't.

wal3590

So if you use that average he would have been our top scorer if he started 46 games...

stupot07

So if you use that average he would have been our top scorer if he started 46 games...

Eh? Sorry don't get you, he started 12 league games and only scored 1 in those starts, based on that average he would have scored 4 in 46, so no wouldn't have been our top scorer based on that average.

Last edited:

WhiteyBFC

We haven't signed him. He's here on trial, training. We've bids in for Ian Henderson, Izale McLeod, Tom Bradshaw and Paddy Madden. I'm assuming we'll sign two strikers, and any two of those will do for me at this level. Our manager says Jackson is unlikely to get a contract unless we can't get the new forwards signed.

However, he came on for 20 minutes yesterday against Huddersfield and looked very sharp, hit the bar from 25 yards and on that sole evidence alone he's doing his chances of a contract no harm, be that here or elsewhere in L1.

I've seen Tudgay for us, in two spells. He's not got double figure goals in him I'm afraid, he's rarely fit for starters. Willing player though, effort is there, bit like O'Brien. But the days of us watching a load of try hards is over, it's quality that counts and we need to get out of L1 sharpish. The signing of Dan Crowley shows our intention. the lad bossed it yesterday, looks Premier League class already. He'll probably be shite now I've said that. :D

Good luck for the season ahead.

LJC_CCFC

We haven't signed him. He's here on trial, training. We've bids in for Ian Henderson, Izale McLeod, Tom Bradshaw and Paddy Madden. I'm assuming we'll sign two strikers, and any two of those will do for me at this level. Our manager says Jackson is unlikely to get a contract unless we can't get the new forwards signed.

However, he came on for 20 minutes yesterday against Huddersfield and looked very sharp, hit the bar from 25 yards and on that sole evidence alone he's doing his chances of a contract no harm, be that here or elsewhere in L1.

I've seen Tudgay for us, in two spells. He's not got double figure goals in him I'm afraid, he's rarely fit for starters. Willing player though, effort is there, bit like O'Brien. But the days of us watching a load of try hards is over, it's quality that counts and we need to get out of L1 sharpish. The signing of Dan Crowley shows our intention. the lad bossed it yesterday, looks Premier League class already. He'll probably be shite now I've said that. :D

Good luck for the season ahead.

Can't see Hendo, Madden or Bradshaw being allowed to leave their respective clubs, McLeod of course is a different kettle of fish.

Really think Crowley will piss all over League 1. The fact he chose your lot over nine other clubs suggests Johnson wants to play the right way.

Your squad does look relatively young but the youngsters are supposed to be of a good level aren't they?

Confident of play-offs/promotion this year?

WestEndAgro

Crowley is class, he will stand out no question, the YouTube clips show glimpses of genius, a player set for a big career, I hope the kid does well.

WestEndAgro

Crowley is class, he will stand out no question, the YouTube clips show glimpses of genius, a player set for a big career, I hope the kid does well.

Oh yes went off topic, Jackson was absolutely garbage for us, how anyone can claim otherwise is beyond me, however with the likes of Crowley playing him in at Barnsley he may find some form, that's if they sign him ?

WhiteyBFC

Can't see Hendo, Madden or Bradshaw being allowed to leave their respective clubs, McLeod of course is a different kettle of fish.

Really think Crowley will piss all over League 1. The fact he chose your lot over nine other clubs suggests Johnson wants to play the right way.

Your squad does look relatively young but the youngsters are supposed to be of a good level aren't they?

Confident of play-offs/promotion this year?
I think money talks and we could sign any of them, but not all of them. Would prefer McLeod to be honest, he's what we lack, a big lad up there.

It's our youngest squad ever.

Yesterday's XI:

Davies (23); Holgate (18), Roberts (24), Mawson (21), Nyatanga (26), Smith (18); Pearson (20), Scowen (22), Crowley (18); Watkins (24), Winnall (24).

With these in reserve: Cowgill (18), Bree (17), Templeton (17), Evans (20), Digby (20), Hourihane (24), Williams (21), Rothwell (20), Wilkinson (20), Maris (19).

It's unique, and they certainly look the part in pre season, although Boro mauled us second half recently. That lack of experience might be an issue, but it's clear we're trying to build a squad with resale value. I'm not a fan of loans generally, but Pearson, Rothwell and Crowley are players so good we could never afford them at this level, so what do you do? I looked at our midfield yesterday and can't see how our best player last season - Hourihane - gets in.

We just need a couple of forwards, another keeper and we'll look set for a top six tilt I hope.

Holgate and Digby were at Man Utd last week on trial so I expect them to get Prem deals soon, following in the footsteps of John Stones. Our academy is really producing talent these days. And if Stones leaves for silly money, we're due 15% of that. So it's paramount we get back up this season or next.

How do you see Coventry doing?

junglej13

I think money talks and we could sign any of them, but not all of them. Would prefer McLeod to be honest, he's what we lack, a big lad up there.

Yesterday's XI:

Davies (23); Holgate (18), Roberts (24), Mawson (21), Nyatanga (26), Smith (18); Pearson (20), Scowen (22), Crowley (18); Watkins (24), Winnall (24).

With these in reserve: Cowgill (18), Bree (17), Templeton (17), Evans (20), Digby (20), Hourihane (24), Williams (21), Rothwell (20), Wilkinson (20), Maris (19).

It's unique, and they certainly look the part in pre season, although Boro mauled us second half recently. That lack of experience might be an issue, but it's clear we're trying to build a squad with resale value. I'm not a fan of loans generally, but Pearson, Rothwell and Crowley are players so good we could never afford them at this level, so what do you do? I looked at our midfield yesterday and can't see how our best player last season - Hourihane - gets in.

We just need a couple of forwards, another keeper and we'll look set for a top six tilt I hope.

Holgate and Digby were at Man Utd last week on trial so I expect them to get Prem deals soon, following in the footsteps of John Stones. Our academy is really producing talent these days. And if Stones leaves for silly money, we're due 15% of that. So it's paramount we get back up this season or next.

I can see Barnsley being real contenders this season. Especially if John Stones goes for big money which I expect he will. In terms of us, a lot depends on who Mowbray can attract on loan from the Premier League clubs over the next few weeks. We are alarmingly short on attackers and goals at the moment so I think it will be easier to predict what type of season we will have then. I think most acknowledge a top half finish would be progress.

Hobo

Yesterday's XI:

Holgate and Digby were at Man Utd last week on trial so I expect them to get Prem deals soon, following in the footsteps of John Stones. Our academy is really producing talent these days. And if Stones leaves for silly money, we're due 15% of that. So it's paramount we get back up this season or

Too early to say 2 months into a 2 year project, especially with the transfer window and loans window still open. Top half will be much needed progress.

Grendel

Barnsley will not get anywhere near automatic promotion. They may get into the play off lottery but time will tell.

WhiteyBFC

Barnsley will not get anywhere near automatic promotion. They may get into the play off lottery but time will tell.
I agree with that. I think Wigan and dem blades have the squads to get automatic, I fancy Bradford, Donny and Rochdale to go well too. I'd happily settle for 6th right now.

Users who are viewing this thread