Simeon Jackson (3 Viewers)

aviles

So just browsing other clubs forums and come across Barnsley's Simeon Jackson seems to have joined them and they think hes going to do a job for them :claping hands:

CovLis86

Im convinced he will score as many as our top scorer this season. So im suggesting probably around 12 - 14.

Dont know what went wrong here, but theres a good player in there somewhere. Just sods law it will come out against us.

aviles

To be fair im taking back my original comment i didnt realise he was only 28 i assumed he was older than that! From what i saw of him i thought his positioning was good just thought his first and second touch let him down a lot

wal3590

Dunno about brilliant but i certainly think we could have got more out of him. Needed more game time.

Yeah brilliant may be over the top, but ask any striker, goalscorers rely on confidence, if you are getting the odd start here and there and having young academy players picked ahead of you its not going to help. My guess is he was bang average in training hence the few starts he had.

Manchester_sky_blue

Yeah brilliant may be over the top, but ask any striker, goalscorers rely on confidence, if you are getting the odd start here and there and having young academy players picked ahead of you its not going to help. My guess is he was bang average in training hence the few starts he had.

Agree.

His confidence is low and its not hard to see why. Scoring the goal that got Norwich promoted to the prem and then basically being told "thanks for getting us promoted now fooooookkkk off" would knock any player. Moves to Germany and then Millwall didn't work out for him with hardly any game time. Then he rocks up at Cov and Pressley signs the world on loan and plays all of them ahead of him.

hill83

Dont know what went wrong here

97497491_224135c.jpg

Grendel

Agree.

His confidence is low and its not hard to see why. Scoring the goal that got Norwich promoted to the prem and then basically being told "thanks for getting us promoted now fooooookkkk off" would knock any player. Moves to Germany and then Millwall didn't work out for him with hardly any game time. Then he rocks up at Cov and Pressley signs the world on loan and plays all of them ahead of him.

He stayed for 18 months in the premier league.

He's rubbish.

skybluekelly98

Agree.

Nah, pressley wasn't a fan of loans he said

Grendel

I actually think mowbray wanted him but his wages must be huge

How many times did Mowbray him? What is that actually based on?

Why would he want a player he didn't select and whose record in the last 4 years has been abysmal?

wal3590

In the league hes bagged 100 in 260 games... Thats not too shabby at all in my eyes. Especially as most will probably be off the bench!

JulianDarbyFTW

Our style of play - if you can call it that - wasn't suited to him. He's a lot better than we made him look. Goalscorers, poachers in particular, need chances. And how many did we make? How many games did we go without a shot in anger? With the right style of play he'd have bagged us a dozen imho.

torchomatic

I felt the same with Miller. I think he would have been all right too. One of those weird "I'll sign him then not play him" situations from Pressley.

yup!

dont think he was that bad for us,just never really given a chance. he will probably do alright.

Manchester_sky_blue

He stayed for 18 months in the premier league.

He's rubbish.

First season in the prem with Norwich he only made 22 appearances, of which only 10 were starts. The next season he only made 13 appearances.

Maybe he just wasn't good enough for the prem but where he has played regularly he has scored consistently.

italiahorse

Certainly wouldn't be the first failed city player to go on to be an asset elsewhere

Wouldn't be the first quality player to come here, under perform and then go elsewhere and become quality again.
Perhaps we need to clean out all the old school, like Oggy etc, and get back to basics.
It's difficult in Oggy's case I know as he is a hero to us.

ccfcway

Im convinced he will score as many as our top scorer this season. So im suggesting probably around 12 - 14.

Dont know what went wrong here, but theres a good player in there somewhere. Just sods law it will come out against us.

I am not sure we will get anyone in double figures this season.

skybluekelly98

Did he come to life under Mowbrey? I must have missed that.

More as an average league one squad filling backup player. With mowbray knowing how threadbare the squad would be (and now is) if Jackson was on a lower wage he might have stayed. We kept martin ffs and all he ever does is boot it, hardly a player you would associate with tm.
But then again I suppose you could say the same for Nouble, Barton etc...

aviles

Wouldn't be the first quality player to come here, under perform and then go elsewhere and become quality again.
Perhaps we need to clean out all the old school, like Oggy etc, and get back to basics.

im assuming you mean to get rid of oggy get a shite goalkeeping coach in to make our goalkeepers shite so the strikers score more in training? I fail to see how getting rid of oggy is going to make our strikers score more

italiahorse

im assuming you mean to get rid of oggy get a shite goalkeeping coach in to make our goalkeepers shite so the strikers score more in training? I fail to see how getting rid of oggy is going to make our strikers score more

Something seems wrong if players come here and can't be motivated to perform at there abilities.
My thoughts are that we have an underlying problem that relates to the sentiment of keeping old players IMO.

Manchester_sky_blue

Something seems wrong if players come here and can't be motivated to perform at there abilities.
My thoughts are that we have an underlying problem that relates to the sentiment of keeping old players IMO.

I think thats why TM insisted on bringing in Clapham and Venus. Our backroom staff hasn't been right for ages.

I think Oggy is happy being a keeper coach though and doesn't get too involved in anything else. You'd think he would have had a spell as caretaker manager by now if he had any ambitions in that direction.

aviles

But looking at our goalkeepers over what the last 10 years i feel majority of seasons this has been our strongest position. Oggy cannot be doing that bad a job.

I agree other positions we might need to change things and if that is the case Mowbray will sort it

pusbccfc

He wasn't very good, but like with Nouble, I wish we had kept him. We currently own one striker, who despite his good hold up play, is far from a natural goalscorer.
I think Mowbray let go Nouble, Jackson and Miller thinking SISU would back him with the money to bring in 2/3 strikers.

chiefdave

But looking at our goalkeepers over what the last 10 years i feel majority of seasons this has been our strongest position. Oggy cannot be doing that bad a job.

If Oggy was bad at his job he would have got the push by now. How many managers has he worked under who haven't had an issue with him?

Not heard any of our keepers who have left say a bad word about him either and the majority of them leave a better player than they were when they arrived.

Think he's the least of our problems.

EDIT: Just looked it up, he's been goalkeeping coach under the management of Coleman, Pressley, Adams, McAllister, Thorn, Dowie, Boothroyd, Robins, Reid, Black, Mowbray, Heath, Shaw, Carsley, Bunn and MacFarlane.

Last edited:

aviles

If Oggy was bad at his job he would have got the push by now. How many managers has he worked under who haven't had an issue with him?

Not heard any of our keepers who have left say a bad word about him either and the majority of them leave a better player than they were when they arrived.

hink he's the least of our problems.

agreed

RFC

For goodness sake, what's Oggy to do with a thread about Simeon Jackson?????

fernandopartridge

He wasn't very good, but like with Nouble, I wish we had kept him. We currently own one striker, who despite his good hold up play, is far from a natural goalscorer.
I think Mowbray let go Nouble, Jackson and Miller thinking SISU would back him with the money to bring in 2/3 strikers.

He let go of them because they were all crap. There is no evidence that he doesn't have the money to replace them.

Manchester_sky_blue

For goodness sake, what's Oggy to do with a thread about Simeon Jackson?????

It wasn't about Oggy specifically, it was a general point about something not being right behind the scenes at the club which inevitably leads to players not performing to their best.

SkyBlueCRJ

In my opinion Simeon Jackson is a good League Two player at most and won't perform for Barnsley. If you look at his record throughout his career he had three consistently good seasons which have been noteworthy (Not including his Non-League success). For Gillingham he scored 21 goals in the 2008/9 season in League Two followed by scoring 17 goals in League One in the 2009/10 season. He also had a relatively solid season for Norwich in the 2010/11 season where he notched 13 goals in the Championship. Since then however his average has been around 4/5 goals a season which is nothing short of shocking for a striker of Jackson's 'supposed' ability. Admittedly I thought Jackson was a stellar signing when he joined last season and I couldn't have been more wrong. The fact of the matter is, is that he is a League two player that can no longer cope with the standard of our League. The fact he played/scored for Norwich a few times in the Champ/Prem is irrelevant. Fair enough he has been used as a substitute much of his career and when he's started constantly throughout the season at the clubs he's played at, he's managed to score a fair number of goals. But consider this. If he was used as a substitute for the majority of his later career, (For Norwich/Millwall/Coventry) surely that supports the fact that he is no longer up to the standard if he's struggling to break into the first team squad of those particular sides. From watching his performances last season and looking at his recent record I personally don't think he'll perform for Barnsley but football is a strange game and statistics can be proven wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread