Sightings of CCFC Footballers (away from the pitch) (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

Went on a double date with a gal who’s friend brought along Aron Gunnarsson.

Gaz - don't leave us hanging. How did you react when Gunnarsson showed up? Did the double date descend into you talking about the City all night with Gunnarsson

oscillatewildly

Used to play snooker with Tony Sheridan as he used to be staying/lodged at our neighbours house by the Forum. Even managed to talk him into an away match at Blackburn when I was driving and fair play to him he came! @ocillatewildly will remember that one! Peter N’Dlovu stayed there too but was very quite at the time and kept himself to himself.
Know Dion quite well as he used to live opposite me in Stratford-definitely one of the good guys-don’t understand all the stick he got but goes with the territory I guess.
I don't actually! You sure I was there, Jeff?
I recall something further back, tho. Sometime in 1983 - I ended up playing gooseberry to a pal and his GF at the time after her mate failed to show for a blind date.
We had a drink in the Jag and he'd booked a table in the upstairs restaurant at the Belgrade. There must have been no more than 4 or 5 tables occupied but diagonally opposite ours, probably no more than seven or eight yards away was one Garry Thompson and who I assume was his GF or wife. He'd not long left to join WBA, he was one of many decent young 'uns who'd left the club around that time - many under a cloud.
I knew it wasn't worth mentioning to my mate as he wasn't a football fan so I proceeded to give him effectively, the daggers. After a while he noticed my occasional staring and returned it, with interest.
The main course was uneventful (I think I had the fish) but the cheese and biscuit course was an exercise in heavy duty eye balling between the two of us.
They left before us.
I never did find out if my 'date' for the evening had a better offer.

Adge

I don't actually! You sure I was there, Jeff?
I recall something further back, tho. Sometime in 1983 - I ended up playing gooseberry to a pal and his GF at the time after her mate failed to show for a blind date.
We had a drink in the Jag and he'd booked a table in the upstairs restaurant at the Belgrade. There must have been no more than 4 or 5 tables occupied but diagonally opposite ours, probably no more than seven or eight yards away was one Garry Thompson and who I assume was his GF or wife. He'd not long left to join WBA, he was one of many decent young 'uns who'd left the club around that time - many under a cloud.
I knew it wasn't worth mentioning to my mate as he wasn't a football fan so I proceeded to give him effectively, the daggers. After a while he noticed my occasional staring and returned it, with interest.
The main course was uneventful (I think I had the fish) but the cheese and biscuit course was an exercise in heavy duty eye balling between the two of us.
They left before us.
I never did find out if my 'date' for the evening had a better offer.
Must have been Mitch and MH then I guess. Perhaps you had a better offer that night....

TTG

Saw max biamou tonight, he was driving a Sky Blue double decker bus in the Birmingham direction.

no_loyalty

Marcus Hall over Cally Park. My mate used to play football with him growing up so they were having a chat.

I used to play in the same school team as Marcus, and played against him in the Sunday Minor league, what is your mates name? I might know him?

BornSlippySkyBlue

Willie Carr lived near us when I was about 6 and parked his car outside our house sometimes. Thinking back this is amazing as we lived in an estate - footballers nowadays wouldn't be seen dead in such a lowly area.

I used to deliver papers to Terry Yorath (my regular round) and Jimmy Hill (occasionally - an adjoining round but not my regular one). On Sundays, Terry took every paper so it was always a relief to drop them all off. He left a £1 note as a tip one Christmas, which was a week's wage for my morning round.
Was Jimmy’s house just off the Kenilworth road? Used to do pattern imprinted concrete drives in a former life, and once did JH’s former house over there. Massive drive!

aloisiwouldhavescored

Often used to see Trevor Peake in Debenhams in Nuneaton shopping with his missus.
Also a few years back when we went to Florida on holiday, we went to Busch Gardens and as we were getting onto one of the rides, Oggy was getting off. We said Hello but he ignored us and walked off.

Adge

Often used to see Trevor Peake in Debenhams in Nuneaton shopping with his missus.
Also a few years back when we went to Florida on holiday, we went to Busch Gardens and as we were getting onto one of the rides, Oggy was getting off. We said Hello but he ignored us and walked off.
At the recent LWCCFC meeting someone called Oggy “the most miserable man I’ve ever seen!”
He took it in good spirits and replied “it’s only when you’re around”
:D

Seamus1

We were house hunting in the late nineties and went to view a house in Bagington Village. It was owned by a young bloke in his early thirties and his wife who were both obviously from Liverpool. Assuming every Scouser would have an allegiance, I asked him if he was red or blue. He did tell me which team he supported but I can’t remember now which he said. Their reason for selling the house was that they were moving back home. I told him I was a City fan but he didn’t seem keen on talking football. We liked the house, put an offer in which was accepted. Later on I kept having the feeling that I knew this chap. On speaking to the estate agent later I asked him if the owner was an ex footballer which was confirmed. It was Paul Edwards who having finished with Wolves was presumably retiring from the game. For various reasons we never bought the house so can’t say we ever owned a footballer’s house.

I
I’ve probably said this before on this site, but my mum helped Paul Edwards move into his house when he played for Coventry. I don’t know if it’s the same house as mentioned here. I will never forget sitting in our front room, when the doorbell rang and sure enough after entering the house Paul Edwards comes and sits in our front room. I will always remember feeling the shock of thinking ‘there is a professional footballer in our house!!’

From what I remember (I was around 8 or 9 at the time) he was (probably still is) a very nice man. He got me the autographs of all the Coventry City squad at the time.

LastGarrison

I used to play in the same school team as Marcus, and played against him in the Sunday Minor league, what is your mates name? I might know him?
He played with him at Cov Boys and would have played against him at school as he was a Cally lad. He then went on to find women, drink and drugs so whilst Marcus went on to play professionally my mate ended up playing for Peugeot.

I won’t stick his full name up but everyone knows him as Tommo.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Used to regularly talk to John Sillett in Tesco's early to mid 90''s, and Andy Blair because he opened his shop in the same complex.
Was trained by Alf Wood for a week on a coaching course when he must've been about 80. Had no idea he was an ex-player until my grandad told me.
Apparently met Lloyd McGrath when I was a few hours old because his missus was in the next bed to my mum in the maternity ward.

Mr Dave

Used to see a lot when I lived locally... Chris Coleman and Kieran Westwood in the Saxon Mill, Adebola in Leamington Sainsbury’s, Elliott Ward and Gunnarsson in Voodoo in Leam, Gordon Strachan picking up his daughter from Brookhurst School.

Non Cov players I saw Ben Foster pushing a pram out of CEX, Martin Keown in a Tesco Metro in Bristol, and Scott Sinclair outside Harrods.

AStonesThrow

I used to serve James Collins dad in the Walsgrave, James came down one night and was a great lad, made time to talk to Me about football. Told him about my son being such a massive football fan, two days later his dad turns up with a signed Hibs shirt (from when he'd played for them before) for my lad

Tile Hill Phil

Bumped into Bobby Mcdonald in City Centre Nitespot in, Tower St about 1979 and bought him a beer, he was one of my favourite players at the time. He said how much he loved the fans here, needless to say the tight Scottish git didn't get me one back.

Tommo1993

Most recent is Jodi Jones running in front of my van across the A45 outside Frydays chippy...twice within a few weeks of each other. If he wants a proper injury, he should carry on! Use the crossing if it’s busy ffs.

I can remember seeing Mustapha Hadji with his wife and kid in the old City shop at the Ricoh after a game. I asked him what he does, if he was in coaching or whatever, he goes “yeah, we came to the game!” Lost in translation I suppose. Sometimes see Oggy in Morrisons up Binley, I heard Strachan still lives local. When Ryton was being rebuilt and they trained at Warwick Uni I was on my work experience in the area and seen them a few times. I was on first name terms with Jay Tabb, I was dead excited. God that sounds sad

shmmeee

I’m pretty much the only football fan in my friendship group and certainly the only City fan and I’ve never met any players outside of being taken behind the scenes as a kid.

My mates seem to meet them all over though. Callum Davenport threatened my mate on a night out, including the classic “Don’t you know who I am?” (He didn’t). Ndlovu mooned my mate when she was sat by the road (aged 15) and he was jogging past. And I took my mates sister into the West Terrace once for her first game and she recognised Marcus Hall because she’d got off with him in town the weekend before.

LastGarrison

I’m pretty much the only football fan in my friendship group and certainly the only City fan and I’ve never met any players outside of being taken behind the scenes as a kid.

My mates seem to meet them all over though. Callum Davenport threatened my mate on a night out, including the classic “Don’t you know who I am?” (He didn’t). Ndlovu mooned my mate when she was sat by the road (aged 15) and he was jogging past. And I took my mates sister into the West Terrace once for her first game and she recognised Marcus Hall because she’d got off with him in town the weekend before.
Kris Kirkland crashed his car into my mates sisters car. Fucked her back and it was 100% his fault, and owned up to it at the time, then completely reneged on this, instructed his lawyers and fought her every step of the way not to give her any compensation.

Bit of a prick really.

Adge

Kris Kirkland crashed his car into my mates sisters car. Fucked her back and it was 100% his fault, and owned up to it at the time, then completely reneged on this, instructed his lawyers and fought her every step of the way not to give her any compensation.

Bit of a prick really.
I remember there was a rumour regarding that at the time-think allegedly there was an “agreement” somewhere along the line that it didn’t make it into the Coventry Telegraph.:emoji_open_mouth:

oscillatewildly

Bit of a prick really.
If that is the genuine case - then yes, what a prick.
I wonder if his Dad ever placed a bet on him doing this in the future?

skybluesham

Whilst at work in a garage I've met chippo , Marcus hall , James Maddison , Scottish defender who's name alludes me , and non cov player Neil Back .
When growing up in beduff we had a few .. Ian Wallace , Mark Hately , Harry Roberts who had a road named after him And Alan Dugdale .
Sports personality wise met John Motson while i was on a stag do ..his fav cup final was ??

PurpleBin

Whilst at work in a garage I've met chippo , Marcus hall , James Maddison , Scottish defender who's name alludes me , and non cov player Neil Back .
When growing up in beduff we had a few .. Ian Wallace , Mark Hately , Harry Roberts who had a road named after him And Alan Dugdale .
Sports personality wise met John Motson while i was on a stag do ..his fav cup final was ??

2019, Watford v Man City?

Users who are viewing this thread