Shipley (1 Viewer)

PVA

I think pretty much everyone would agree he doesn't have the ability for this level.

That's OK. He's not the only one in the squad.

But my god if you haven't got the ability then at least put the effort in.

A total passenger today. Just ambled around the whole time, didn't press and close down, didn't show for the ball, didn't track his man, completed just 8 passes all game.

We can forgive someone for not having the ability, but that level of 'effort' was just totally unacceptable.

shmmeee

I give academy players huge amounts of latitude and really want them all to do well, I don’t like slagging off players generally and hope they all come good, but Shipley makes me angrier than any other player in as long as I can remember.

Just ambles about, doesn’t close, doesn’t track, does that fucking thing where he half arsed sticks a foot half way out ten yards from a man then had the sheer audacity to start pointing to tell other players to close down. The cowardly balls he plays, the shit corners, the lot of it.

If he gets a new contract in the summer I’m going to seriously start doubting Robins competence. Let him go and find out what it’s like to be at a club that doesn’t give you a free pass cos you’re from Leamington.

Torquay Sky Blue

I give academy players huge amounts of latitude and really want them all to do well, I don’t like slagging off players generally and hope they all come good, but Shipley makes me angrier than any other player in as long as I can remember.

Just ambles about, doesn’t close, doesn’t track, does that fucking thing where he half arsed sticks a foot half way out ten yards from a man then had the sheer audacity to start pointing to tell other players to close down. The cowardly balls he plays, the shit corners, the lot of it.

If he gets a new contract in the summer I’m going to seriously start doubting Robins competence. Let him go and find out what it’s like to be at a club that doesn’t give you a free pass cos you’re from Leamington.
You're not a fan then 🤫

You pretty much summed up Waghorn there. Who infuriates me even more than Shipley does. And he's a guy who proved himself at the level but seems reluctant to show us how.

Hertsccfc

I actually do think he has got the ability, and that's the frustrating thing. He can spot and executive a pass and he can score goals. On form he can influence games, even in the Championship. But in too many games he is too passive. Ability alone is not enough. There is more to his game than Allen's but at least Allen makes the most of what he has.

Perryccfc

I wouldn’t say I can’t stand him, that’s harsh. He’s been a great servant to us, but I think he would admit himself the Championship is just a level too much for him. He frustrates me so much when I watch him, but after the game when I’ve calmed down I can’t blame him, we needed the numbers. I fully expect him to go in the summer and I would expect all our fans to be grateful for what he did for us in getting us back here.

larry_david

I wouldn’t say I can’t stand him, that’s harsh. He’s been a great servant to us, but I think he would admit himself the Championship is just a level too much for him. He frustrates me so much when I watch him, but after the game when I’ve calmed down I can’t blame him, we needed the numbers. I fully expect him to go in the summer and I would expect all our fans to be grateful for what he did for us in getting us back here.
I think he's purely playing as a 'body' as we are so thin in numbers. But at this point I'd rather give a player who's gonna be here next season a chance

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think pretty much everyone would agree he doesn't have the ability for this level.

That's OK. He's not the only one in the squad.

But my god if you haven't got the ability then at least put the effort in.

A total passenger today. Just ambled around the whole time, didn't press and close down, didn't show for the ball, didn't track his man, completed just 8 passes all game.

We can forgive someone for not having the ability, but that level of 'effort' was just totally unacceptable.
I agree. I really don't like accusing a player of not having desire or trying hard. It's about as insulting as you can be. But I think that is something that Shipley can now be accused of. No urgency. If he gets beaten he just gives up. He doesn't want the ball and as soon as he gets it he wants rid of it ASAP. Maybe his confidence is low, but that's no excuse to just amble about.

I think he's a better player than he's showing, and all that's required for that is effort.

People on here say that the manager seems them in training everyday so Shipley must play like Messi to keep on getting picked going on his match performances. I can't believe that Jones would not have given more if given the opportunity.

Adge

No real excuses for that abysmal performance. Allen hasn’t got much in his locker as a Championship player but does at least give his best in terms of effort.

lord_garrincha

Best performances this season were at LWB & did well in L2 as a left midfielder. Maybe playing down the flank is his future. He wasn't loved by all in L1 for effort/tackling but his goals helped considerably.

It will be an interesting summer to see if the dead wood is jettisoned & replaced with 'quality' (whatever that means). Probably unlikely to happen without at least one sale

larry_david

Doesn't matter where he plays, he's a hider. He has cov fans belting out his song all game and he pays them back by hiding and then walking off when he gets subbed applauding them. I was a huge Shipley fan in l2 and l1 but I've turned, I hate it but I have. He took two corners and both were low and didn't beat the first man, he touched the ball about 5 times in open play, from a position of midfield in a ball retaining side like ours, that is diabolical

pusbccfc

Nowhere near this level but has been a great servant to this club and should be remembered for that.

To progress in the summer we must be shifting players like him on.

rob9872

Do we need this pile on every time he plays? He's probably not at the level and will be gone at the end of the season. We're woefully short in numbers which is why he's playing. Everyone on here continues to bring up the Grendel thread about Robins, but if you don't like his selections then perhaps he has a point? Blame Robins, blame the funding but getting on a players back everytime is unhelpful. He's here for a few more games and been a decent servant, so surely we cam accept many don't approve and leave it until then?

Fwiw I'd hate to see this about any player but as this one's been done to death, then if anyone after that I'm surprised Fanky doesn't have his own thread too among a number of other pretty average at best performances from a number of players.

clint van damme

I neither saw or listened to the game today, but I was done with Shipley after his cameo away at Bristol City, lack of effort and looked totally disinterested. Sounds like today was a similar story.

clint van damme

Do we need this pile on every time he plays? He's probably not at the level and will be gone at the end of the season. We're woefully short in numbers which is why he's playing. Everyone on here continues to bring up the Grendel thread about Robins, but if you don't like his selections then perhaps he has a point? Blame Robins, blame the funding but getting on a players back everytime is unhelpful. He's here for a few more games and been a decent servant, so surely we cam accept many don't approve and leave it until then?

Fwiw I'd hate to see this about any player but as this one's been done to death, then if anyone after that I'm surprised Fanky doesn't have his own thread too among a number of other pretty average at best performances from a number of players.

See my post Rob, its the lack of effort. Its become embarrassing now.

rob9872

See my post Rob, its the lack of effort. Its become embarrassing now.
I'll get accused of being fanboy, his mate or his dad, but I genuinely don't believe he's not trying and don't think Robins or Adi would put up with it. It's his languid running style which is I ehy I cam understand how that's perceived. I'm sure the numbers in the running stats tell them that. Whether he's good enough is a different discussion of course. Id like to see him put his foot in more too, but he's always in position and I'm pretty sure that discipline is why he gets a chance (and of course the lack of bodies we currently have).

Blind-Faith

The fact of the matter is, it’s not that he played badly, it’s the fact he didn’t play. It was like having 10 men on the pitch, no effort at all and simply hid for the whole game.

Someone mentioned that he touched the ball 8 times the whole time he was on the pitch. That is an incredible stat, but not in a good way.

Hope to never see him in a city shirt again after today, he should be ashamed of himself.

We would be better off playing one of the kids , Howley or whoever, they may not get everything right in the game but they would 100% contribute more than he did today.

If I was one of his team mates I’d have him up against the wall in the dressing room by the throat questioning what the fuck he was playing at today.

Blind-Faith

I'll get accused of being fanboy, his mate or his dad, but I genuinely don't believe he's not trying and don't think Robins or Adi would put up with it. It's his languid running style which is I ehy I cam understand how that's perceived. I'm sure the numbers in the running stats tell them that. Whether he's good enough is a different discussion of course. Id like to see him put his foot in more too, but he's always in position and I'm pretty sure that discipline is why he gets a chance (and of course the lack of bodies we currently have).

Genuine question , did you watch the game today?

clint van damme

I don't agree with that and if you look at my posting history I've been pretty much on his side whenever arguments about him have kicked off.
But in the game against Bristol he'd only been on the pitch for a short time but twice let his man run off the back of him and didn't really make an effort to get back at him.

I think somethings gone on, maybe he's pissed offhe didn't get his move, but to perform like that is inexcusable.

rob9872

Genuine question , did you watch the game today?
Of course. Only from tv, had a lot of expense lately, but only the second away I've missed live after Cardiff. Did you go then?

larry_david

Poor Shippers
No wonder players are told to avoid social media
The lad was prepared to leave in January but the club scuppered it by asking for too much money
Of course he's not a Championship player but he did very well at a lower level for us
It's tough and I don't like criticising players but the forum is a place to air opinions and at times, vent. Sadly I don't have any cov mates to do this to as I live up north. If Shipley played well today I'd be saying so, but he didn't and in my opinion, he quite happily let that game pass him by.

rob9872

Again not excusing lack of effort, if that's how you see it, your choice, but the other thing I'd add, is he's out of contract in a few weeks and if he gets iinjuredthen what? Still has bills like the rest of us. I know I'd want my future sorted and would be a bit selfish.
I don't agree with that and if you look at my posting history I've been pretty much on his side whenever arguments about him have kicked off.
But in the game against Bristol he'd only been on the pitch for a short time but twice let his man run off the back of him and didn't really make an effort to get back at him.

I think somethings gone on, maybe he's pissed offhe didn't get his move, but to perform like that is inexcusable.

stevefloyd

I would be one of the first to say I was wrong but unfortunately I am not, it doesn't give me any great pleasure in saying that, I commended him when he played lwb and scored but unfortunately every time since he has fallen well short. I know we are short of players so I have cut him some slack but today was probably the worst of the worst...no tackling letting players run past him with no tracking just walking....I think he really needs to take a long hard look at himself because people paying good money to see him perform like that will be a lot harsher in real life than on here. The thing is, he does have something to offer but he has certainly lost his way

Blind-Faith

Of course. Only from tv, had a lot of expense lately, but only the second away I've missed live after Cardiff. Did you go then?

Same as yourself, watched on the TV. He was completely and totally anonymous , somehow manage to get given corner duties aswel, took two corners and neither of them beat the first man.

He contributed absolutely nothing today, and I mean nothing. Not even a good thing followed by a bad thing , just nothing. I’ve calmed down about it now , I just cannot fathom how you can get away with it as a professional footballer I really can’t.

clint van damme

Again not excusing lack of effort, if that's how you see it, your choice, but the other thing I'd add, is he's out of contract in a few weeks and if he gets iinjuredthen what? Still has bills like the rest of us. I know I'd want my future sorted and would be a bit selfish.

I think he's pissed off about something that's gone on with his on/off move(es) and maybe that's understandable.
But to see a player not trying, especially one that's supposed to be a supporters, sticks in the craw.

rob9872

With corners they were poor, but he does have decent delivery usually andvi think that was tactical,I think they should've been drilled across though if I was changing it. Lifting them in the six yard box with no Fadz Rose or Vik would have been easy to defend.

Terry Gibson's perm

He has a lovely left foot but doesn’t have great energy or fitness and doesn’t impact on the game. This level he is being found out. Good luck to him in the future but that future can’t be here if we even want to stand still.

He is not alone though and we really need to try to move on people like him,Ngandu,Drysdale and Jones and probably more.

CDK

Not sure he was on the pitch today and didn't notice him till he was subbed,the most effective thing he did today was coming off.

PVA

It's nothing to do with how well he did or didn't play, or how good a servant he's been.

It's purely about effort, and he put nothing in today. It was dreadful.

Dabo didn't have a good game, but at least he gave it his all.

Users who are viewing this thread