Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 20th Jan (1 Viewer)

mmttww

Collins
MvE
Thomas
Kitching
Bidwell
Sheaf
Eccles
O'Hare
Sakamoto
Godden
Simms

Wilson
Fadz
Binks
Da Silva
Latibeaudiere
Allen
Torp
Palmer
Tavares

I want pace wide left and I want Simms starting games, so as much as Palmer has looked good, given how gassed he was after 60 mins last weekend, I'd drop him. Also think we've started to make chances for the central striker in the last game or two, and Godden looked effective last time out as a result, so I'm happy for him to keep his place.

Mucca Mad Boys

Can't see him playing for 2-3 weeks even if on the bench. He is in pre season training mode not having played for 5 weeks, he has been on holiday. He will also need a period of adjustment.

Anyway on our current form there is no rush to play him. In the current squad he is replacing Ayari who hardly featured. There is no rush to put him in until he is ready, which was the same with Kitching and Collings.

Agreed, but I would imagine Torp has kept relatively fit as I’d imagine he was aware that a move was probably happening in January.

Whilst there’s no rush to play him, MR will be keen to give game time as soon as he’s ready.

Hobo

Agreed, but I would imagine Torp has kept relatively fit as I’d imagine he was aware that a move was probably happening in January.

Whilst there’s no rush to play him, MR will be keen to give game time as soon as he’s ready.

Most players come back fit these days. But fit and match fit are two different things. Plus he needs time to gel with his team mates. Professional footballers all say January is a tough time to join a club because you don't get the pre season to fit in.

There will be no rush to play him the way things are. Let's be honest where he has been playing isn't above Championship level. So he will probably need time to adjust and it may take a while before we see him at his best?

Brylowes

Even if he was match ready there’s no way Torp either starts or comes on imho.
Robins would have to be absolutely sure he can slot into our midfield without unsettling our rhythm or shape, he’ll be given time to train with the team and get up to speed with those around him & how we play.
It’s a luxury we didn’t have earlier in the season due to so many new players.
Could possibly make the bench for the cup game.

CBS16

Agree with the above comments, we have the luxury of taking our time to bed Torp in slowly. Will be better for everybody if we stay as settled as possible during that process as he slowly gets more minutes over the next month. Hopefully he's class and will give us that boost for the mad few months at the end

Flying Fokker

I look at our fixtures. Football is greater than the sum of its parts.

20 JanASheffield WednesdayChampionship3pm
Mon 22 JanAColeshill TownBirmingham Cup 37.45pm
Fri 26 JanASheffield WednesdayFA Cup 47.45pm
Tue 30 JanHBristol CityChampionship7.45pm
Sat 3 FebANorwich CityChampionship3pm
Sun 11 FebHMillwall
skyf.png
Championship12pm
Wed 14 FebAPlymouth Argyle
skyr.png
Championship7.45pm
Sat 17 FebAStoke CityChampionship3pm
Sat 24 FebHPreston North EndChampionship3pm
Sat 2 MarAWest Bromwich AlbionChampionship3pm
Tue 5 MarHRotherham UnitedChampionship7.45pm
Sat 9 MarAWatfordChampionship3pm
Sat 16 MarHHull CityChampionship3pm
Fri 29 MarAHuddersfield TownChampionship3pm
Mon 1 AprHCardiff CityChampionship3pm
Sat 6 AprHLeeds UnitedChampionship3pm
Tue 9 AprASouthamptonChampionship7.45pm
Sat 13 AprABirmingham CityChampionship3pm
Sat 20 AprHIpswich TownChampionship3pm
Sat 27 AprABlackburn RoversChampionship3pm
Sat 4 MayHQueens Park RangersChampionship3pm

slowpoke

I find it strange that MR is still so underestimated , first nobody will know until about 2pm Saturday if Torp is playing, sub or in the stands. Team might not even know. He definitely takes each game as it comes works out the opposition and picks his team. Saturday will bo no different

Tommo1993

I find it strange that MR is still so underestimated , first nobody will know until about 2pm Saturday if Torp is playing, sub or in the stands. Team might not even know. He definitely takes each game as it comes works out the opposition and picks his team. Saturday will bo no different

So he’s on record twice saying he won’t be ready, but Slowpoke knows better.

It’s bizarre how you’re not letting this go.

Brylowes

How is anyone underestimating MR, on the contrary it’s surely a sound decision to bed a player in & make sure he’s completely comfortable before putting him in.
There’s no rush, the team are playing well and winning games, to make an unnecessary change now (especially for someone from a different league & country) would be ludicrous & potentially damaging to the teams momentum.

Theonlywayisskyblue

Sun 11 FebHMillwall
skyf.png
Championship12pm
skyr.png
Championship7.45pm
Bit worried about the Coleshill game - unknown quantity ?

baldy

Sun 11 FebHMillwall
skyf.png
Championship12pm
skyr.png
Championship7.45pm

To be honest,if we get maximum points from the Coleshill game,then I’ll really start to believe

SkyBlueSoul

They've picked up a bit but we need to be winning today, keep the pressure up on those above below us. I assume he'll go with the same team if Wright's not fit, I quite like Simms coming on late to batter teams. 2-1 City, Saka and Simms.

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Sheaf Eccles
Saka O'Hare Palmer
Godden

Wilson, Lati, Fadz, Binks, Dasilva, Torp, Allen, Tavares, Simms

Edit: put Torp on the bench instead of Kelly. Don't reckon he'll get on but can see them wanting to get him into the matchday routine and no point having Kelly there regardless.

Last edited:

procdoc

My guess is we start the same as we did against Leicester with Torp potentially on the bench.
Don’t underestimate the opposition. They were a tough cookie to crack when we played them on Boxing Day. They have improved a lot under the new management. We will need to perform well to get the three points

Mucca Mad Boys

Collins
MvE
Thomas
Kitching
Bidwell
Sheaf
Eccles
O'Hare
Sakamoto
Godden
Simms

Wilson
Fadz
Binks
Da Silva
Latibeaudiere
Allen
Torp
Palmer
Tavares

I want pace wide left and I want Simms starting games, so as much as Palmer has looked good, given how gassed he was after 60 mins last weekend, I'd drop him. Also think we've started to make chances for the central striker in the last game or two, and Godden looked effective last time out as a result, so I'm happy for him to keep his place.

Godden put in a good shift to be fair, he pressed Leicester City and alongside the midfield, made them uncomfortable at times.

I fancy Palmer for a goal today, I think he’s looked good in recent games. Personally, I’d probably start Simms but as you say, he looked good out wide so perhaps keep things the same.

Torp to make his debut? Perhaps it’s too soon.

higgs

Palmer had them on the ropes on boxing day I'd start him

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Astute

Can't see him playing for 2-3 weeks even if on the bench. He is in pre season training mode not having played for 5 weeks, he has been on holiday. He will also need a period of adjustment.

Anyway on our current form there is no rush to play him. In the current squad he is replacing Ayari who hardly featured. There is no rush to put him in until he is ready, which was the same with Kitching and Collings.
It isn't down to fitness.

Robins stated that he needs to learn his defensive role or words to that effect. That will be mainly done on the training ground. Can't see him playing for several weeks at least.

Users who are viewing this thread