Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City [FA] Match Thread - Friday 26th Jan (8 Viewers)

Yank

Hate to add another fixture to an already congested calendar, but it is what it is. We got up a goal and let off the gas way too much in the second half. Should he had saved that? Yes. Should we have buried some of the great chances we had and made that goal worthless? Also yes.

Great debut from Torp and Simms was a menace basically throughout, still have faith he can contribute.

Make the home replay loud as can be, regardless of who is taking a rest, and let's advance then. Time to focus back on the league for now.

Mucca Mad Boys

FWIW I thought Weds played better tonight than they did on Saturday. Seemed to me that their fringe players came in and did a good job for them.

A replay’s not ideal but I think we’re in a place whereby we need to give our fringe players minutes but it means changing the formation, which is going to lead to a less than perfect performance. Given that, I’m happy the unbeaten run continues and we get another bite at Weds at home and a possible tasty draw in round 5.

I’m quietly excited about Torp, he’s obviously not up to speed yet but he did give us plenty of reasons to think he's going to turn out to be a brilliant bit of business.

He had a few ‘welcome to the Championship’ moments but overall Torp was quality. Very exciting debut!

Skybluedownunder

Tonight’s game showed just why we went out and signed a CM this transfer window. Without Sheaf and Torp, we didn’t look like creating anything.

Eccles didn’t play badly, but his performance didn’t stake a massive claim to be our Number 1 guy.

Final observation: 3-4-1-2 is dead too. We just look look flaccid whenever we play this formation.

We really need somebody else to take over corners, fuck me it’s depressing watching Eccles struggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skybluedownunder

Torp took corners before he went off, and I may be wrong but all bar one landed on a Cov player.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

He definitely did not take two of the ones I saw. The one that went very near post and bobbled past the front was taken by Eccles

Agreed Torp took the ones from the other side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djr8369

Did anyone else watch the game in a tiny window on the Bet365 site? Can anyone explain to me why when there are so many difficulties and regulations to stop you watching football in this country you can stream it on a betting site but you’re not allowed to make the window full screen?

Astute

I really don't know why you are arguing.

They are a team sitting in the relegation zone, who played their second string. They made six changes from the last game, and their defence wasn't the same at all. Their goalkeeper today was also a child.

You're making it out like we went away to the Etihad when in fact we played a poor Sheffield Wednesday team.
Any chance of a bit of reality?

Try looking at form. Their recent home form is solid. Without the last 2 games we have just played they have beat Cardiff 4-0, Hull 3-1, QPR 2-1, Blackburn 3-1, drew with Leicester 1-1, beat Millwall 4-0 and beat Rotherham 2-0. In the middle of that they lost to Cardiff 1-2. This run takes you to the end of October. So 6 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. 20 goals for 6 against. You have to go all the way back to September for their previous defeat at home. So since September they only lost once at home. Puts a bit of perspective in our two results.

Not Man City? How about a bit more reality here as well. Can we compare them to Leicester? Since November at home they have won 5, drawn 2 lost 1. Whereas Man City have won 5 drawn 3 in their last 8 at home. If we took it at 3 points a win 1 for a draw for each game they actually had a better recent home record than Manchester City. Surprised?

The 'child' they had in goal is England U19. They made 6 changes. We made 6 changes.

How about the pitch? Wouldn't surprise me if it's shite on purpose. Stops teams like us playing.

The ref? Made some very dodgy decisions against us including what looked a solid penalty appeal. That's what happens when you're playing away at a hostile ground.

So they had 2 shots on target. Their goal was deflected. And you have a go at our player for not scoring at the end. A player who hasn't played much recently and isn't a striker.

Last edited:

Cheylesmore ITK

Any chance of a bit of reality?

Try looking at form. Their recent home form is solid. Without the last 2 games we have just played they have beat Cardiff 4-0, Hull 3-1, QPR 2-1, Blackburn 3-1, drew with Leicester 1-1, beat Millwall 4-0 and beat Rotherham 2-0. In the middle of that they lost to Cardiff 1-2. This run takes you to the end of October. So 6 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. 20 goals for 6 against. You have to go all the way back to September for their previous defeat at home. So since September they only lost once at home. Puts a bit of perspective in our two results.

Not Man City? How about a bit more reality here as well. Can we compare them to Leicester? Since November at home they have won 5, drawn 2 lost 1. Whereas Man City have won 5 drawn 3 in their last 8 at home. If we took it at 3 points a win 1 for a draw for each game they actually had a better recent home record than Manchester City. Surprised?

The 'child' they had in goal is England U19. They made 6 changes. We made 6 changes.

How about the pitch? Wouldn't surprise me if it's shite on purpose. Stops teams like us playing.

The ref? Made some very dodgy decisions against us including what looked a solid penalty appeal. That's what happens when you're playing away at a hostile ground.

So they had 2 shots on target. Their goal was deflected. And you have a go at our player for not scoring at the end. A player who hasn't played much recently and isn't a striker.
He's been on the cheap lager and jazz fags

torchomatic

Not sure if it was audible on a TV feed but the booing of us taking the knee and of Palmer throughout the game was a disgrace.

They put up one banner at half time, which we applauded. They have a real problem on their hands.

skybluelee

Did anyone else watch the game in a tiny window on the Bet365 site? Can anyone explain to me why when there are so many difficulties and regulations to stop you watching football in this country you can stream it on a betting site but you’re not allowed to make the window full screen?
I watched on Paddy Power and was able to watch full screen.

Martw

I thought it was me - spent most of the first half faffing around trying anything and everything to make the screen bigger !

Hobo

For someone who was bought for his passing ability, Dasilva sure is good at completely missing the runs our strikers make in behind.

This is my criticism of him. For me he never takes a risk or be creative. Everything is safe sideways or backwards. He blunts our attacking momentum.

I think he is weak defensively too, although I have seen some improvement in that. But still find him a bit inconsistent within a game.

covcity4life

Bet fair had 3 quarters of screen. Hdmi to telly and it was big enough

You prob could set display settings to zoom in but couldn't be arsed

SkyBlueCharlie9

Exactly as I said - they didn’t have to - what’s it achieve? They had black players too don’t forget & they could’ve took the knee if they wanted to but they chose not to
Why would anyone be irritated by or try and undermine players taking the knee...... oh wait it's Baldy ! Every club has them I suppose.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Exactly as I said - they didn’t have to - what’s it achieve? They had black players too don’t forget & they could’ve took the knee if they wanted to but they chose not to

I realise they didn’t have to, that’s still not an answer for why they chose not to join our players, especially for this game after what had happened the week before…

and well it would’ve made a point to their racist fans that the club stand with KP and against racism for a start, not that that should be necessary to make clear but there we go!

PVA

This is my criticism of him. For me he never takes a risk or be creative. Everything is safe sideways or backwards. He blunts our attacking momentum.

I think he is weak defensively too, although I have seen some improvement in that. But still find him a bit inconsistent within a game.

He wasn't great last night but he has more key passes per game than anyone in the squad.

Hobo

Ok it was a poor performance by us. Even with changes and changes to formation we still should have got it over the line. But even the best teams have off days.

Hopefully we have got this one out of the system and we will be back on it for the Bristol game. Plus we still have a chance to beat Wednesday and progress in the cup.

It's not going to spoil my weekend.

Astute

The way I look at it was we’d won the last 4 games - we were due not to win one. Better last night than Tuesday.

still the worst possible outcome though
I disagree.

Sheffield Wednesday are very poor away from home. More money coming into the club. Use the squad for the game.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Not surprised, the love in some of our fans have had with them over the years is just embarrassing.

or even over the last week post KP being abused…

you can’t tar every Wednesday fan with the same brush, true, but the people booing, those singing ‘get the bastard off the pitch’ and even those who let it happen and / or turn a blind eye and accept it are almost, if not just as bad…

Users who are viewing this thread