Sheffield Utd that could be us (1 Viewer)

The coventrian

Yes through player sales. What will make you happy? If we keep every player and spend money we don’t have?
So sisu themselves havent invested then have they? Why paint it up like they have?
Where did I say spend money we didn't have?

The coventrian

It's a perfectly legitimate way to run a club at our level and we're far from the only ones doing it. What is disingenuous though is to paint it as investment from the owners-if anything things have improved with the owners focussing on their legal blind alleys while leaving day to day management to Boddy and co. We are able to spend a % of what we bring in and we've brought in a lot from transfer fees. That's it.
Come on now,towthe line. Sisu are gonna fund a push back to the top flight.

skyblue1991

So sisu themselves havent invested then have they? Why paint it up like they have?
Where did I say spend money we didn't have?
We are living within our means as much as possible. Would you rather we ended up in £60m in debt like we were almost 20 years ago by spending when we couldn't afford to?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clint van damme

Considering Sheffield has two major clubs and Sheffield's population is not double Coventry's, I wonder how many supporters in Sheffield switch their allegiance based on which club is the most successful at any given time. It would be interesting to know how many supporters have staunch allegiance to one club or the other.

what a ridiculous post, though not surprised.

The coventrian

We are living within our means as much as possible. Would you rather we ended up in £60m in debt like we were almost 20 years ago by spending when we couldn't afford to?

Do I say that? No I wouldn't. But let's not get investment from sisu confused with selling a player and putting some of that money back into the squad.

SlowerThanPlatt

Do I say that? No I wouldn't. But let's not get investment from sisu confused with selling a player and putting some of that money back into the squad.

Sheffield United sold Adams to Birmingham, Ramsdale to Bournemouth and Calvert-Lewin to Everton the season they went up.

robbiekeane

Define 'investment'?

So far what I understand investment to mean on this forum is:
- Money from the personal bank accounts of the owners of SISU. It can come from no other source of income only personal funds
- It has to be written off. It can never be taken back, contrary to the very common definition of the term
- It’s value is somewhat undefined. It has to be somewhere above “the bare minimum”, which has recently been defined as being equal to the number that keeps the club running whilst providing an extremely competitive playing budget for the team, and infinity.

Not got much further than that

Brighton Sky Blue

So just to be clear, it’s “bare minimum” investment they are doing right now?

what’s the “ideal” investment? Do you have a number or...?

Just to be clear, league rules don’t allow clubs to spend megabucks on players beyond a proportion of their turnover. So what Robins is able to spend is largely dictated not by SISU but by transfers and tickets. If we stay in Birmingham beyond this season that will drop considerably.

robbiekeane

The issue with people like this is that they don't really have a clue what they are angry about. They just listen to others and repeat certain words.
It just feels nice for some sad people to have a big bad pantomime villain to point at for all things wrong in their life.

sometimes it’s best not to make them have to think to much or their brain will explode

Brighton Sky Blue

So can you help me understand what investment is then?

Putting in funding above and beyond the minimum required to keep the club at break even. The crux of the argument that SISU are 'backing Robins in the market' doesn't work. We spend a % of what we earn and we've earned a fair whack from transfers so we were able to spend a bit. It's not Joy suddenly deciding to dip into her wallet.

robbiekeane

Just to be clear, league rules don’t allow clubs to spend megabucks on players beyond a proportion of their turnover. So what Robins is able to spend is largely dictated not by SISU but by transfers and tickets. If we stay in Birmingham beyond this season that will drop considerably.
Turnover not profit you wally. Just to be clear......

robbiekeane

Putting in funding above and beyond the minimum required to keep the club at break even.
You understand that the playing budget goes into the calculation for what is required to break even don't you? So I really don't understand what you're even saying
The crux of the argument that SISU are 'backing Robins in the market' doesn't work.
Thank you very much for this. However I have never said that so I am not sure how relevant it is and feels a little out of place.

We spend a % of what we earn and we've earned a fair whack from transfers so we were able to spend a bit. It's not Joy suddenly deciding to dip into her wallet.
Turnover. A % of what we turnover. Not "earn". You get that too right? I feel this may be beyond you..

Brighton Sky Blue

You understand that the playing budget goes into the calculation for what is required to break even don't you? So I really don't understand what you're even saying

Thank you very much for this. However I have never said that so I am not sure how relevant it is and feels a little out of place.

Turnover. A % of what we turnover. Not "earn". You get that too right? I feel this may be beyond you..

The most common line of argument about SISU’s ‘investment’ is about the money Robins has been able to spend on transfers. This would be because there has been no investment in off-field areas, for example a new ground which has been in the pipeline since 2013. Or how about a brand new training ground? Youth facilities? Nope. Those in charge of day to day running have a budget to work off and they do their best with it.

When we make losses it is tacked on to the considerable debt we owe them. Again, are all ‘investments’ held as charges over the club? Our income dictates what we spend. Not SISU.

We can play academic Top Trumps if you like but I think you might come out worse...

Nick

Administrator
The most common line of argument about SISU’s ‘investment’ is about the money Robins has been able to spend on transfers. This would be because there has been no investment in off-field areas, for example a new ground which has been in the pipeline since 2013. Or how about a brand new training ground? Youth facilities? Nope. Those in charge of day to day running have a budget to work off and they do their best with it.

When we make losses it is tacked on to the considerable debt we owe them. Again, are all ‘investments’ held as charges over the club? Our income dictates what we spend. Not SISU.

We can play academic Top Trumps if you like but I think you might come out worse...

Is that correct?

What about the investment into the new facilities at Ryton or the academy?

robbiekeane

:emoji_joy:
Has that come from existing budgets or did SISU provide funding above and beyond those?
You are embarrassing yourself mate honestly.

Investment only counts if if it’s above and beyond existing budgets. Even though those budgets are variable and set each year by the owners.

robbiekeane

Those in charge of day to day running have a budget to work off and they do their best with it.
Oh the poor guys not having unlimited spending! Having to work without a budget. Tough gig. You understand that budget is set by the owners and includes an amount put in by them which is required to break even?

This is not going well for you

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh the poor guys not having unlimited spending! Having to work without a budget. Tough gig. You understand that budget is set by the owners and includes an amount put in by them which is required to break even?

This is not going well for you

You understand that our footballing budget is determined by the club’s income and not by the owner writing a few blank cheques?

Users who are viewing this thread