Sheaf (2 Viewers)

speedie87

What did Sheaf do wrong tonight? People desperate to hate him because he smiled at Arsenal training in the summer.

Lost the ball off camera first half from a throw that led the the Wilson save.
Had lucky escape with pass that nearly bounced off bloke closing down
Didn’t go in for tackle that led to the Wilson save 2nd half

Frostie

What did Sheaf do wrong tonight? People desperate to hate him because he smiled at Arsenal training in the summer.

He made that one mistake early on, that's it.
Sadly that's all it takes for a lot of 'supporters' as his card is already marked.

He struggled to get involved much first half but much improved in the second. Broke up play a lot, 2 or 3 really good tackles & passed accurately & with purpose.

stupot07

In 90 minutes Sheaf had 47 touches compared to Allen who had 26 touches. People are having a pop at sheaf as he was involved, after the first 20 minutes Allen was anonymous.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

stay_up_skyblues

Thought he was ok tonight. Got caught out on the ball a few times as he does but broke up the play well. Similar to his first three or four performances following which he improved dramatically. He then sat out a few and has come back a touch behind. I expect he will improve again over the next couple of games.

Speedies_Chips

Lost the ball off camera first half from a throw that led the the Wilson save.
Had lucky escape with pass that nearly bounced off bloke closing down
Didn’t go in for tackle that led to the Wilson save 2nd half
He didn’t go for that tackle as he got slated by Robins for giving the penalty away against Rotherham and has been told not to make tackles in our own area.
The lad can’t win with some of you.

Terry_dactyl

In 90 minutes Sheaf had 47 touches compared to Allen who had 26 touches. People are having a pop at sheaf as he was involved, after the first 20 minutes Allen was anonymous.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Sheaf is deployed where he will inevitably see more of the ball. Be interesting to see how much ground Allen covered compared to Sheaf...
I had high hopes for Allen last year...not really done it yet but tonight he made fewer mistakes and looked more confident. Credit him with having an improved performance.
I like Sheaf and thought he was ok tonight. He’s played better...I think he will be a very good player.

cc84cov

For a lad who’s come through top academy’s I’m stunned how often he gets caught in possession

Frostie

For a lad who’s come through top academy’s I’m stunned how often he gets caught in possession

That's probably exactly why, because he is always trying to do the right thing, bring the ball down & play. Unless you think Arsenal teach their young midfield players to hoof it every time they get it?

At lower levels teams don't give you so much time on the ball, he'll get there.

How often was he caught in possession tonight?

Il Pirata

Turns slower than milk. Always on his heels because his awareness of things around him is so poor. That's something that becomes a bigger problem the higher you go in the football ladder.

He has decent technique and is not a bad player, but he's not what we need in midfield. Too slow upstairs. Paired with Allen's physical weakness it's a bad combination.

AFCCOVENTRY

Turns slower than milk. Always on his heels because his awareness of things around him is so poor. That's something that becomes a bigger problem the higher you go in the football ladder.

He has decent technique and is not a bad player, but he's not what we need in midfield. Too slow upstairs. Paired with Allen's physical weakness it's a bad combination.

We have an obligation to buy Sheaf at the end of the season.

superskyblue

Sheaf was shaky first half but got much better in the second half and did well. Seems to be somebody who starts slowly when getting up to match speed but he's got a great opportunity to put a run of games together now. A lot of fans will conflate his calmness with laziness. He will come good. I'm certain of it.

SleepyGinger

I remember similar things being said about Walsh at the start of last season. Sheaf can be lackadaisical in possession but hopefully after a run in the team he gets sharper. He’s good defensively wins a lot of headers from defensive set pieces and usually strong in the tackle although he did seem to bottle one last night and has a good passing range I think a lot will be eating their words in a few weeks time.

Colin Steins Smile

Whilst he has got caught in possession on occasions, I thought that last night he provided a lot of cover for our back three - especially in the air

Yorkshire SB

Needs consecutive games to be sharp, he wasn’t great in his first two games for us, then he put in three brilliant performances and arguably our best player in two of them. He’s never played at this level before and he’s playing a role where you can look stupid if caught in possession. Also needs confidence to be on the ball and showing for it all the time, and being dropped doesn’t help, though part of football.

Also if there’s a suggestion he bottled the challenge that fell to Pritchard late on, then I think that’s unfair, other player dived in studs up and the ref gave nothing.

Major concern for me last night was how poor Tyler Walker was, but there isn’t a thread on that.

The Philosopher

The common theme seems to either be:

He’s like a bucket of shite without the bucket.

Or.

He’s sometimes like a bucket of shite but does some things well and he’ll learn and shows promise.

In the latter case; this is the Championship.

He could have done with a bit more L1 / SPL or whatever time to get used to the fact that you can’t dwell on the ball guess a pass, leave a tackle, jog back. The Championship is not a development league.

If anyone has hurty-feelings-by-proxi by reading the above then so be it. Enjoy.

cc84cov

That's probably exactly why, because he is always trying to do the right thing, bring the ball down & play. Unless you think Arsenal teach their young midfield players to hoof it every time they get it?

At lower levels teams don't give you so much time on the ball, he'll get there.

How often was he caught in possession tonight?
You don’t need to hoof it mate just move it quicker use the ball faster,quicken things up

cov donkey kick

Now is his time to perform more so with hamer missing also he seems at times to get caught in possession but he's still learning, but this division is unforgiving and sat v sheff we'd we need to keep bannan quiet who' on his day is a match winner so no pressure sheaf.

Brighton Sky Blue

Or.

He’s sometimes like a bucket of shite but does some things well and he’ll learn and shows promise.

He could have done with a bit more L1 / SPL or whatever time to get used to the fact that you can’t dwell on the ball guess a pass, leave a tackle, jog back. The Championship is not a development league.

If anyone has hurty-feelings-by-proxi by reading the above then so be it. Enjoy.

Spoken like Socrates himself

KenilworthSkyBlue

Alkhen

anyone clock the deliberate handball he made in the middle of the park to stop a Huddersfield attack, was quite savvy quick thinking. Hamer came over and gave him a hi-five

I recon he is an intelligent player needs games and time to sharpen up and cut out errors. We mustn't forget apart from youth football he had only played 42 games of senior football before he joined us. All for clubs in leagues 1 and 2, so its massive learning curve for him, he is doing fine.

Paxman II

Getting on a players back is not what we should do when it's not really called for. Sheaf has a game that many refuse to see. He often has a clearance, a tackle or iterception just at the right time and breaks down opposition play. But yes he has a blind spot in that he spreads a pass and it goes either to an opposition player or immediately puts his own player under undue pressure. He needs to rid himself of that by concentrating more and like when he has his pocket picked occasionally, He is slow and not concentrating. Overall it's something to work on. Just saying he is only 22 is absurd. 17/18 I'd buy that but not 22. He has a good player in him as he sees a pass and I'd actually like to see him more forward at times. He will improve dramatically over a season.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Or.

This is where our model falls down. It isn’t a development league.

for what it’s worth I like Sheaf, I think as someone said - he likes to get it down and play but at times he seems to think he has more time on the ball.

if we stay in the championship and he develops alongside us - he’ll get used to the level and will benefit us long term.

Hobo

"Turns slower than milk" now that phrase seems to fit 'our fans opiniions on players'.

It was not that long ago Kelly was deemed to be a League 2 player not good enough for League 1. Then he was going to be too slow for the Championship.

Sheaf is still a young player and one capable of developing. A few on here seem determined to prove themselves right about players. They seem so determined to spot the mistakes they miss the good bits.

The best example of people jumping off a cliff about a player before giving him the chance he deserved was Wilson.

Users who are viewing this thread