Shankland (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I heard from within the club that much of the McCallum money had completely dried up by July and was used primarily to cover running costs and pay the players once they came off furlough.

Also, transfers are almost never paid completely upfront so undoubtably we would have structured the fees paid for Hamer, Walker, and when the time comes, Sheaf in instalments to be paid over the course of 2-3 seasons.

So, it's not quite as simple as spending what we've earned.

But if we're buying players on installments and selling them on the same terms then there is still an equivalence between ins and outs, just with lower figures at the immediate time. Of course it does assume that term lengths etc are similar but you'd imagine they would be there or thereabouts.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Yeah I expect it did. I don’t think it is transfers in = transfers out. It’s always been based on the budget given by Sisu as AFAIK we’ve never been self sustaining and still aren’t.

I was saying at the start that £2m is about half our budget and that was worked out on what we’d spent. Then Magwitch said it was more cos we have money in and I was just pointing out that even by that metric it was still about £4m.

Exactly. Magwitch seems to be inferring from his posts that Robins has total access to the McCallum and Wilson money. To my knowledge the former has already been used up to cover costs over the course of the summer, and with regards to the latter, most of which is likely to be used on bridging the gap caused by the significant drop in revenue due to games being played BCD (with a proportion potentially put aside for Sheaf, but that's only my opinion as I've previously stated).

Agreed, the budget is the budget. Income received from Wilson or McCallum isn't automatically added to the playing budget as it would have been capped to a certain amount for a direct reason. For instance, in League One it was to ensure that clubs complied with SCMP rules whereby a club's wage bill equated to or less than 60% of its total turnover. The P&S rules in the Championship are slightly more relaxed but SISU will obviously want to avoid pumping more money than necessary hence why the pre-agreed budgets will be what they are. Any extra money received in the form of transfer fees, add-ons, or sell ons, doesn't allow Robins to go way over budget. Especially not now when the future of EFL clubs is looking bleaker by the day.

Irish Sky Blue

I think I remember seeing Boddy saying that we were budgeting for most the season to be behind closed doors anyway so I think whether we sign this guy or not we have been careful within a budget that was on the safe side of things in regards to fans returning etc. Will be interesting to see if this happens or not.
From the club's s point of view I would think that extending the ban on fans in stadiums is no bad thing. I presume they have sold out the 3500 membership/ST allocation, so that money, reduced as it is, is in the bank. I also presume that opening up St Andrews for the 3500 to get in would have cost them money, stewards etc, with little or nothing to be made on a match day. Therefore, until more that 3500 can be admitted, or hospitality outlets, parking etc can be opened up, they will be saving money.

Liquid Gold

How can you possibly know we won’t be in a promotion battle

giphy.gif

junglej13

The Scottish window closes tomorrow. Just wonder whether someone might test Dundee Uniteds will to keep Shankland. There was a story in one paper that Burnley might be after him on loan for £500k and that Dundee United are desperate for money. It also said they have a young striker Logan Chalmers who a number of Premier League clubs have looked at. It did make me wonder whether possibly that's who we were also scouting recently.

KenilworthSkyBlue

The Scottish window closes tomorrow. Just wonder whether someone might test Dundee Uniteds will to keep Shankland. There was a story in one paper that Burnley might be after him on loan for £500k and that Dundee United are desperate for money. It also said they have a young striker Logan Chalmers who a number of Premier League clubs have looked at. It did make me wonder whether possibly that's who we were also scouting recently.

I suspect these rumours have been generated by his agent as Dyche has already rubbished the links.

fatso

Reports suggesting that Dundee are taking Mark McNulty on loan from Reading!
Does that mean that Shankland is on his way out?

cc84cov

This obsession is odd with shankland can you imagine how many Tyler Walker would score up there and He’s sat on our bench max would probably do the same we don’t need shankland

SlowerThanPlatt

This obsession is odd with shankland can you imagine how many Tyler Walker would score up there and He’s sat on our bench max would probably do the same we don’t need shankland

It’s the SPL - the debate has been long done but I would say it’s somewhere between lower Championship level and the top of L1. There is not a chance Biamou would be able to score as many as he has

KenilworthSkyBlue

It’s the SPL - the debate has been long done but I would say it’s somewhere between lower Championship level and the top of L1. There is not a chance Biamou would be able to score as many as he has

Disagree. I think you're giving the quality of the league far too much credit. For instance, the likes of Livingston, Hamliton, Ross County simply aren't comparable to top end league one clubs.

You have Rangers and Celtic who are probably top end Championship, Aberdeen, Hibernian Kilmarnock who would fit in mid-table League One, and the rest are certainly League Two quality. The league is completely disjointed.

djr8369

If we had any money left I don’t think a striker would be the priority anyway.

Skybluefaz

Disagree. I think you're giving the quality of the league far too much credit. For instance, the likes of Livingston, Hamliton, Ross County simply aren't comparable to top end league one clubs.

You have Rangers and Celtic who are probably top end Championship, Aberdeen, Hibernian Kilmarnock who would fit in mid-table League One, and the rest are certainly League Two quality. The league is completely disjointed.
Yet we picked up Micheal Rose from the Scottish Championship and people were rating him at 10 million

D

Deleted member 2477

Robins has said all business is done and we dont need another striker. Just another 5 page rumour

KenilworthSkyBlue

Yet we picked up Micheal Rose from the Scottish Championship and people were rating him at 10 million

£10m is a slight overestimation, no club in their right mind would've paid that for a 24 year old L1 CB with (at the time) one year left on his contract. But regardless, managers at higher up the footballing pyramid are always going to find unearthed talent plying their trade in leagues lower than their club, whether that be in the UK, Scotland, or overseas. One good player is hardly a reflection of the overall quality of that league though.

Users who are viewing this thread