Self Learning Thread

Nick

Administrator
Feb 25, 2008
Coventry
Just setting it up like a normal printer :D

I'm going to ditch the software and go with

I'm guessing with a 3D printer you are dealing with 'G' and 'M' codes.
All the fun of CNCing
I meant the Windows VM ;)

Yeah it uses a Gcode!

I have seen inkscape, you can actually turn the printer into a "plotter" and it uses that.

Do you need Vector / SVG?

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
In lockdown with people off work, has anybody decided to learn something new?

Have started pissing about with home automation and raspberry PIs and it's like a rabbit hole where I can see myself programming all sorts of unneeded shite.
I learnt how to consume 10 cans of strong ale and watch more TV than I did in the prior 20 years

Reactions: clint van damme

Philosorapter

Aug 7, 2013
In
I meant the Windows VM ;)

Yeah it uses a Gcode!

I have seen inkscape, you can actually turn the printer into a "plotter" and it uses that.

Do you need Vector / SVG?
Inkscape seems to be what lot of people are raving about but I need to learn how to walk before I can run. I can't tell the differences between the programmes before I learn the one (LaserDRW 3) which comes with the printer.

I'm testing out on sand paper but at that stage where I am about to move on to bigger materials.

This is the laser on 9%

That font ;)

IMG_5648.GIF

Last edited:

Philosorapter

Aug 7, 2013
It looks pretty much like a 3D printer but its a lazer rather than melted plastic.
This is my next step to world domination.

Looking at the setup a little more powerful than this.

Can cook stuff up to 2000c

Philosorapter

Aug 7, 2013
Just using this place as a reference point to things found on the net which may be useful.

Rich

Will the real Dale Evans please stand up
Mar 1, 2009
Ricoh Arena
In

Inkscape seems to be what lot of people are raving about but I need to learn how to walk before I can run. I can't tell the differences between the programmes before I learn the one (LaserDRW 3) which comes with the printer.

I'm testing out on sand paper but at that stage where I am about to move on to bigger materials.

This is the laser on 9%

That font ;)

View attachment 16255
What laser is that? I used to be a laser and water jet programmer. Would love a little toy like that

Philosorapter

Aug 7, 2013
What laser is that? I used to be a laser and water jet programmer. Would love a little toy like that
K40 CO2 Laser.

There are many model variations on eBay. It's meant to be pretty hit or miss on the 'out of the box' type of machine you get, with some machines taking ages to set up with laser alignment etc reading the reviews online.

Luckily I have one which has worked straight away with no tinkering.

I chipped in a few extra quid for the laser pointer and some safety guards etc.

Reactions: Rich

Covkid1968#

Apr 1, 2013
South Leics...unfortunately
Fixed my boat engine today after some training in lockdown. Normally I would have got a man to look at it... but looked myself after the course and found the problem!!!!

Philosorapter

Aug 7, 2013
IF its anything like a 3d Printer you will need a software which turns your design into a file the printer understands :) Full of thousands of commands!
I've ditched all the software.

Been a few days scratching my head on Babelfish translating stuff from Chinese to English trying to work everything out.

I now have the Laser Cutter hooked up to the software in the video below.

Complete overkill but that's what I like.

Just look at this software :D

I can whip anything off the net I like in seconds. Just got to learn the software better.

Last edited: