Self Learning Thread (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
In lockdown with people off work, has anybody decided to learn something new?

Have started pissing about with home automation and raspberry PIs and it's like a rabbit hole where I can see myself programming all sorts of unneeded shite.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've started reading books again. Got plenty that I've bought in the past but never read. Currently reading "Peaky Blinders - The Real Story" by Carl Chinn (local historian). More of a documentary type book, but it opens your eyes to what it was really like in the area at the start of the 20th century.

Nick

Administrator
I've started reading books again. Got plenty that I've bought in the past but never read. Currently reading "Peaky Blinders - The Real Story" by Carl Chinn (local historian). More of a documentary type book, but it opens your eyes to what it was really like in the area at the start of the 20th century.

I have that, was from Tesco on offer a while ago. Havent read all of it but it was pretty interesting.

Sbarcher

Just read Big Sam’s autobiography, my first book in years. Going to get stuck into CCFC The Elite Era next. Lots of facts and data.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm also trying to improve my Photoshop skills. I've had the program for years and just potter about with it, but I'm now on Photoshop 2020 CC and following the many tutorials on YouTube.

djr8369

Have started pissing about with home automation and raspberry PIs and it's like a rabbit hole where I can see myself programming all sorts of unneeded shite.

I’ve messed about with Pi’s and an Arduino a bit. Something I’d like to do more of but I do a degree part time which takes up most of my free time with the rest covered by the Mrs reminding me I have to mow the lawn or fix something.

I’d like to learn some Python and general coding as going to be more and more useful in future and anytime I have dabbled before I have enjoyed it.

I see the Open Uni and some other providers have expanded their range of free courses so if anyone is looking to improve skills during this quiet period there’s something to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

I fucking hate that villa bastard Chinn

Once saw him claiming something from Cov actually came from Brum and have had an irrational hatred of him since!

shmmeee

Me and a mate started down this route before Alexa and Google Home were really a thing. Rabbit hole is right’

Bertola

With regards to those that have mentioned Python, we're due to be moving to either Python or R with work in the near/mid future. Any good online learning resources you've found?

shmmeee

With regards to those that have mentioned Python, we're due to be moving to either Python or R with work in the near/mid future. Any good online learning resources you've found?

DataCamp is good from a DataScience Perspective. Learn Python the hard way is a classic. There’s loads of good python resources though.

R is the most horrible language I’ve ever experienced. You can tell it was written by non programmers.

Sick Boy

Ohhhh what sort of things? :)
At the moment just trying to use it to automate certain aspects of keyword research, I’ve got a new e-commerce client and potentially around 80,000 keywords to categorise and look at the intent behind them, it will majorly help cut down the time for it, still trying to get my head around it but it’s getting there. Can use it to automate all of the time consuming but important boring tasks.

shmmeee

At the moment just trying to use it to automate certain aspects of keyword research, I’ve got a new e-commerce client and potentially around 80,000 keywords to categorise and look at the intent behind them, it will majorly help cut down the time for it, still trying to get my head around it but it’s getting there. Can use it to automate all of the time consuming but important boring tasks.

Have a look at scikit learn (sklearn) very easy to use out the box models.

There’s a good text classification algo using bag of words on the 20 newsgroups dataset that’s very easy to understand I did for my Masters:

5.6.2. The 20 newsgroups text dataset — scikit-learn 0.19.2 documentation

Actually looking at what you’re doing something like Word2Vec might be a better bet then a simple cosine similarity and KNN to cluster them? (god I miss ML)

A Beginner's Guide to Word2Vec and Neural Word Embeddings | Pathmind

Sick Boy

Have a look at scikit learn (sklearn) very easy to use out the box models.

There’s a good text classification algo using bag of words on the 20 newsgroups dataset that’s very easy to understand I did for my Masters:

5.6.2. The 20 newsgroups text dataset — scikit-learn 0.19.2 documentation

Actually looking at what you’re doing something like Word2Vec might be a better bet then a simple cosine similarity and KNN to cluster them? (god I miss ML)

A Beginner's Guide to Word2Vec and Neural Word Embeddings | Pathmind
Wow great, thanks a lot for that!!

shmmeee

Nick

Administrator
Can't you use semrush or anything like that?

Sick Boy

Can't you use semrush or anything like that?
For keyword research but not auto categorising based upon architecture and for user intent so much

Also looking at using it to write tens of thousands of title tags and descriptions based upon rules for product pages

Nick

Administrator
They are pretty good, I'll have a look for birthday presents I think. Nice to get away from technology and make things!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Been working on my Spanish and Swedish most days on Duoling app. Definitely seen an improvement.

Also decided to start eating better this week but the energy to use the gym I made in the garden is slipping.

Users who are viewing this thread