Self Learning Thread (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Just setting it up like a normal printer :D

I'm going to ditch the software and go with

I'm guessing with a 3D printer you are dealing with 'G' and 'M' codes.
All the fun of CNCing

I meant the Windows VM ;)

Yeah it uses a Gcode!

I have seen inkscape, you can actually turn the printer into a "plotter" and it uses that.

Do you need Vector / SVG?

Grendel

In lockdown with people off work, has anybody decided to learn something new?

Have started pissing about with home automation and raspberry PIs and it's like a rabbit hole where I can see myself programming all sorts of unneeded shite.

I learnt how to consume 10 cans of strong ale and watch more TV than I did in the prior 20 years

Philosorapter

In
I meant the Windows VM ;)

Yeah it uses a Gcode!

I have seen inkscape, you can actually turn the printer into a "plotter" and it uses that.

Do you need Vector / SVG?

Inkscape seems to be what lot of people are raving about but I need to learn how to walk before I can run. I can't tell the differences between the programmes before I learn the one (LaserDRW 3) which comes with the printer.

I'm testing out on sand paper but at that stage where I am about to move on to bigger materials.

This is the laser on 9%

That font ;)

IMG_5648.GIF

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
It looks pretty much like a 3D printer but its a lazer rather than melted plastic.

Philosorapter

It looks pretty much like a 3D printer but its a lazer rather than melted plastic.

This is my next step to world domination.

Looking at the setup a little more powerful than this.

Can cook stuff up to 2000c

Rich

In

Inkscape seems to be what lot of people are raving about but I need to learn how to walk before I can run. I can't tell the differences between the programmes before I learn the one (LaserDRW 3) which comes with the printer.

I'm testing out on sand paper but at that stage where I am about to move on to bigger materials.

This is the laser on 9%

That font ;)

View attachment 16255
What laser is that? I used to be a laser and water jet programmer. Would love a little toy like that

Philosorapter

What laser is that? I used to be a laser and water jet programmer. Would love a little toy like that

K40 CO2 Laser.

There are many model variations on eBay. It's meant to be pretty hit or miss on the 'out of the box' type of machine you get, with some machines taking ages to set up with laser alignment etc reading the reviews online.

Luckily I have one which has worked straight away with no tinkering.

I chipped in a few extra quid for the laser pointer and some safety guards etc.

Covkid1968#

Fixed my boat engine today after some training in lockdown. Normally I would have got a man to look at it... but looked myself after the course and found the problem!!!!

Philosorapter

IF its anything like a 3d Printer you will need a software which turns your design into a file the printer understands :) Full of thousands of commands!

I've ditched all the software.

Been a few days scratching my head on Babelfish translating stuff from Chinese to English trying to work everything out.

I now have the Laser Cutter hooked up to the software in the video below.

Complete overkill but that's what I like.

Just look at this software :D

I can whip anything off the net I like in seconds. Just got to learn the software better.

Last edited:

Philosorapter

I have finally ordered this little monster online and it's currently having a joyride around the postal services in Germany.

Things are going to start to get very interesting next week when linking this to the laser printer brought earlier.

Philosorapter

Hopefully I can get out castings to a decent precision.

Philosorapter

Do you not also need a centrifuge or something?

Its another cheap bit of kit from China. A full kit though. Should work easily just with a bit of tinkering.

Ah, do you make some sort of mould?

Yes, this is about making mould casing etc and then going from prototype to production.

It is way easier and cheaper to make the tooling yourself then to buy it.

Philosorapter

It took a good while but I can now make dye castings and most other stuff to a very decent precision.

Onto learning a litle bit more about the furnace and what it can or can't take. It is actually a very powerful piece of kit and had a fire with it the first time I used it.

The coolant warmed up a little too quickly so waiting for some stuff to arrive so I can make a new coil and sorted out the coolant system to bring the temperature down of the coil overall. This should sort everything out.

We go into lockdown up here on Friday, so I should have a fun few weeks ahead of me tinkering away and not blowing myself up.

As long as I keep everything under 50 amps then I should be able to make progress again.

Users who are viewing this thread