Season Curtailment (2 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Anyone else starting to think we might be on the verge of at least a forced break? 7 postponements in league 1 alone tomorrow.

Racking up at pace in all leagues

Cov kid 55

Just thinking the same myself. 40,000+ cases in the past 24 hours, another national lockdown (perhaps by another name) in the New Year. Football paused? Wouldn’t bet against it.

cov donkey kick

Hoping it will be better in 21,work wise furloughed again to start year. Sport to go next I hope not as city only just getting up to speed match fitness wise.

Nick

Administrator
Will clubs be forced to lose 3 points? Leyton Orient had to Forfeit a match didn't they?

Sky Blue Pete

Looks suspiciously like the start of the other thread

If Man City or Liverpool had two players with covid complications out as Newcastle have the premier league would all be paused as happened in March.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the appropriate thing to do is suspend the season through January and think again at the end of the month

Rochdale doctor on saying it’s not really giving the right message to keep forcing footballers into work when it’s not necessary

chiefdave

Will clubs be forced to lose 3 points? Leyton Orient had to Forfeit a match didn't they?
Surprisingly enough despite Orient having to forfeit against Spurs in the same competition Man City won't have to forfeit if they can't play against Man Utd, the game will be rescheduled.

steve cooper

Last season the Championship got finished. There is time at the moment to complete the season even if we pause it for a month. Would mean continuing with the 2 games per week for some time though.

xcraigx

Lower down into the non leagues looks a right mess. Even without another lockdown it's hard to see how some teams are going to get all their games in. Some teams have played 5 or 6 games and it seems pretty much everything this weekend is cancelled.

BackRoomRummermill

This time it will continue for now, who else here remembers the good old days of bad weather, orange balls and the lines for the box dug out of the snow and all the postponement of football , it will continue

South West Sky Blue

Once all teams have played each other once, I suppose curtailing the season is a technical possibility. I personally think it's highly unlikely, but it adds all the more importance to picking up points now, rather than hoping we can get some wins in April time.

Money dictates football now. The television companies will ensure the whole season is finished. The only way to stop this will be player power. As soon as they regularly talk about pausing the league, it'll be an inevitability.

The difference between L1 & L2 to the Championship is the proximity to the Premiership. With the bountiful riches of the Premiership awaiting and the colossal impact it can have, the Championship season is more important to be finished than L1 & L2 (due to promotion). That's obviously why our season ended early last season, but above us didn't.

I can personally see a pause coming into our season. I just hope that if that does happen - it'll be worth it and infections drop. There's not much point pausing it, only to restart it a month later if infections are at the same or higher rate.

Somerset Sky Blue

I don't know what was decided, but I'm pretty sure the different leagues met after the lockdown in March and discussed what would happen if future seasons were impacted again by covid (or similar).

Magwitch

Apart from the build up of cancelled fixtures it’s the travelling. There’s talk of a tier five happening so who knows what might happen. The experts seem to be agreeing February is crunch month when the virus will peak. Atleast any pause should it happen is the same time we have the snow and ice so cramming in fixtures at the back end of seasons isnt new.

Saddlebrains

I think integrity of competition comes into it too. Some teams backing out last minute some being told to carry on with depleted squads

jimmyhillsfanclub

Let's just fuck the euros off completely, postpone domestic leagues till late spring, then play through the summer.....we may actually get to enjoy a live game by then.....instead of this soulless dull fest of football via laptop

Irish Sky Blue

Once all teams have played each other once, I suppose curtailing the season is a technical possibility. I personally think it's highly unlikely, but it adds all the more importance to picking up points now, rather than hoping we can get some wins in April time.

Money dictates football now. The television companies will ensure the whole season is finished. The only way to stop this will be player power. As soon as they regularly talk about pausing the league, it'll be an inevitability.

The difference between L1 & L2 to the Championship is the proximity to the Premiership. With the bountiful riches of the Premiership awaiting and the colossal impact it can have, the Championship season is more important to be finished than L1 & L2 (due to promotion). That's obviously why our season ended early last season, but above us didn't.

I can personally see a pause coming into our season. I just hope that if that does happen - it'll be worth it and infections drop. There's not much point pausing it, only to restart it a month later if infections are at the same or higher rate.
It was suggested that this method be used to sort out our league last season. Of all of the suggestions made to sort out final league positions, this seemed to be the unfairest as it had Bristol Rovers and Ipswich as the two teams to be automatically promoted even though at the time the season stopped, both were well down the league. I'm not sure if with this method, we would have even made the play offs.

Nick

Administrator
The rules will be made up as and when as per usual.

Either teams should be forced to play kids or call the game off with X or Y number of cases.

Then enforce it from the start. It will get messy if some clubs were forced to play weakened teams but others can call the game off.

chiefdave

Wasn't the vote they had to amend the regulations last season a permanent rule change to cover something similar happening in the future?

Sure from now on it needs 51% of clubs to vote to end the season and then its decided on unweighted PPG. Don't recall anything in there about a minimum number of games being required but that could well be an additional requirement.

Which leads to the question of how does a vote get called, does it just need a proposing clubs with a certain number of clubs seconding it?

Users who are viewing this thread