Scotland, Championship and city fans (1 Viewer)

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Are we all sleeping on Hyam, he is a good Center half and looks so much better on the right hand side

Nick

Administrator
It's exactly the opposite. Some don't rate him because of that and they can't forget the Yeovil match despite lots of great performances in the Championship.

I'm not sure it is, people give him a lot more slack than other players.

Sky Blue Harry H

It's exactly the opposite. Some don't rate him because of that and they can't forget the Yeovil match despite lots of great performances in the Championship.

I think Nick meant the opposite of what he's posted?! If not, I disagree with him, and agree with you.

Edit: Nick meant what he'd said !!

shmmeee

I’m generally one of his bigger critics but he’s impressed me last few games. Particularly Luton where he was the only decent CB.

Still got a massive mistake in him though and needs to work on not playing strikers on.

Tommo1993

Certainly a mistake in him. As with JCS and Fadz, and every other Championship defender (see our first goal against Fulham).

Maybe there is the tiniest bit of sentiment because he’s been with us from the bottom, but that sentiment is far outweighed by the fact that he’s genuinely improved according to the level the club is at.

shmmeee

All defenders make mistakes, most goals come from defensive errors of different magnitudes.

They do, but there’s varying degrees. Last season Fadz made a few especially early on and has improved. Hyam is improving too but for example against Fulham very nearly cost us a goal losing the ball on the halfway line and has cost us a few goals earlier in the season, mostly with his positioning.

He makes more mistakes in more dangerous positions than Sheaf for example, yet Sheaf gets pelters and Hyam gets ticker tape parades 🤷

As I said last few games he’s been impressive defensively and his use of the ball has come on massively. He’s ahead of Rose on merit now IMO.

Terry_dactyl

He’s been brilliant for us this season. I don’t know much about the Scottish team but I’d imagine he’s close to a call up…if only for a friendly.
He’s been consistently good for us. A few suspect games last year, which he somehow remedied, and being slow against Yeovil once are the only real blemishes. Mr Consistency…which is generally what you want from a centre back.

In fact him, mcfadzean (check ancestry) and Rose at the back for them and Scotland will win the World Cup!

clint van damme

They do, but there’s varying degrees. Last season Fadz made a few especially early on and has improved. Hyam is improving too but for example against Fulham very nearly cost us a goal losing the ball on the halfway line and has cost us a few goals earlier in the season, mostly with his positioning.

He makes more mistakes in more dangerous positions than Sheaf for example, yet Sheaf gets pelters and Hyam gets ticker tape parades 🤷

As I said last few games he’s been impressive defensively and his use of the ball has come on massively. He’s ahead of Rose on merit now IMO.

Fadz has been involved in 4 opposition goals this season.
Although I do think Fulham was a foul.

shmmeee

Fulham was a foul for me. And I assume a couple of others were Luton?

To be honest if we went up or wanted to be top six consistently it would be our CBs I’d be most worried about generally. All great on their day, all capable of an off day like Luton. But for a mid table Championship club they’re fine.

clint van damme

To be honest if we went up or wanted to be top six consistently it would be our CBs I’d be most worried about generally. All great on their day, all capable of an off day like Luton. But for a mid table Championship club they’re fine.

I think we're also always more critical of our own defenders.
I'm sure if we'd conceded the goals we scored against Fulham, who are one of the favourites for promotion, we'd be giving our back line pelters, especially the first goal.

Londonccfcfan

Fact is they are all improving and even fadz. Dont think anyone has had or made more blatant howlers than Fadz (going back to league 1 days Rotherham and pompy away for eg) But hes going to as he is at the heart of everything we do and spends more time on the ball.

Looking at that Scotland defence my word they are different level of crap watching them yesterday. Apart from Robertson of course.

Terry_dactyl

If the gauge is ‘how will they cope in the prem’ with the exception of maybe one or two, all our players would be suspect…we’re not going up and I don’t want to think about it!!
As for being a top 6 championship side, if we continue to evolve ie retain the nucleus of this side we’ll be solid for years to come. The old players will get worse, the young players are likely to get better…I’d say Hyam is in this latter group. Hopefully any new players we get will be improvements…as has been for the most part over the last few years.
Without wanting to think too far ahead (I know I am) I’m quite worried for the end of the season. Assuming we don’t go up I think a few could be sold and Robins could be pinched from us.
I probably worry too much and should just enjoy what we’re doing now.

clint van damme

Fact is they are all improving and even fadz. Dont think anyone has had or made more blatant howlers than Fadz (going back to league 1 days Rotherham and pompy away for eg) But hes going to as he is at the heart of everything we do and spends more time on the ball.

Looking at that Scotland defence my word they are different level of crap watching them yesterday. Apart from Robertson of course.

Yeah, wasn't having a go at Fadz, just hilighting they've got a mistake in them.

Tierney is decent for Scotland as well so wouldn't have expected him to get alook in on the left but Hendry on the right is poor. I think Hyam is better

shmmeee

If the gauge is ‘how will they cope in the prem’ with the exception of maybe one or two, all our players would be suspect…we’re not going up and I don’t want to think about it!!
As for being a top 6 championship side, if we continue to evolve ie retain the nucleus of this side we’ll be solid for years to come. The old players will get worse, the young players are likely to get better…I’d say Hyam is in this latter group. Hopefully any new players we get will be improvements…as has been for the most part over the last few years.
Without wanting to think too far ahead (I know I am) I’m quite worried for the end of the season. Assuming we don’t go up I think a few could be sold and Robins could be pinched from us.
I probably worry too much and should just enjoy what we’re doing now.

I think top 8 Championship is the next progression. Obviously we’re short on the left with the two loanees, but otherwise I think midfield (including RWB), GK, and up front we’re there IMO. JCS and Hyam might grow to be the right level, Fadz will almost certainly keep surprising me. I just think if we were looking for new players after LWB it would be the CBs. We have decent strength and depth everywhere else. Though I’d still like another tricky AM as understudy to O’Hare.

slowpoke

Hyam is a very good player and has been since he came into the team, inevitably at times defenders make mistakes that result in a goal just as strikers miss sitters. Last season there was an anti Hyam campaign on here by some of our “experts”who are quieter now, I’m sure they will stir again though given the chance.

Frostie

Hyam is a very good player and has been since he came into the team, inevitably at times defenders make mistakes that result in a goal just as strikers miss sitters. Last season there was an anti Hyam campaign on here by some of our “experts”who are quieter now, I’m sure they will stir again though given the chance.

In fairness, he looked out of his depth for large parts of last season. Now that he's on his more natural side he looks so much more assured &, as others have commented, his change in diet may have negatively impacted him initially but he looks far stronger now.
All credit to him, long may it continue.

Hertsccfc

I'm not sure it is, people give him a lot more slack than other players.
Where is this coming from? What has he done wrong? Incredible how some unfashionable looking players get worse in some people's eyes when we haven't even played a match.

Some people never give him slack and even go on about what food he chooses to eat. He's probably been our best defender so far this season. It's like McCallum last season.

Users who are viewing this thread