School Protests (4 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

Il be honest my bitterness towards the idea of there being a god began when my mother passed away when I was 11 .

I struggled with the idea that somebody so young could suffer for several years .
I don't know how or what I'd be feeling today had things been different
Everyone would evo.

mrtrench

The architecture and social history has always been the bit for me.

It's hard to be overly critical too after getting married in a CofE church - slightly hypocritical if me, that, given my lack of belief.

If you can listen to Monteverdi; Palestrina; Bach's Passions; Fauré's Requim and Allegri's Miserere and not like Christian music then you're not human. ;)

Sky Blue Pete

If you can listen to Monteverdi; Palestrina; Bach's Passions; Fauré's Requim and Allegri's Miserere and not like Christian music then you're not human. ;)
Sing semi professionally with a group that sing Monteverdi and charpentier music. Beautiful beautiful to sing a listen to it sung so well. It’s as close as I get to heaven on earth

mrtrench

Sing semi professionally with a group that sing Monteverdi and charpentier music. Beautiful beautiful to sing a listen to it sung so well. It’s as close as I get to heaven on earth

I sang Fauré's Requiem many years ago in a choir. I am jealous.

D

Deleted member 4439

Beautiful music. Perhaps a bit less esoteric but there is one particular hymn that I have never known myself not to shed a tear to. I find it just so evocative of a need for belonging.

wingy

Used to do many of the Psalms as a young teenager.
Half a crown for weddings too couldn't be sniffed at .
Did confirmation classes also but didn't get too far into it

Don't know if it was me becoming aware of class divide , but definitely the first time I felt awkward and wouldn't fit in .

Sky Blue Pete

I sang Fauré's Requiem many years ago in a choir. I am jealous.
We sing together twice a year or so I’ll try and find a recording and tell you when we next perform. Four of them are professionals and I get to join in cause I’m good and my choir master is the leader of the group. The professionals are unbelievable

mrtrench

And the art too. Obviously the Renaissance work is amazing but even the lesser works are wonderful.

My wife got me this for Christmas this year (prompted by me). He sits looking over me whilst I work on the computer.

I also have an icon on the wall I bought in Poland whilst I was working there in to 90s... and a crucifix on the wall and buddha (the thin curly haired one) and Vinesh; Ganesh etc. I love it.

Also on my walls is lots of Communist Era artwork, I like the Modernist style too. Just shows you can find something to like about everything.

IMG_20210404_103738_resized_20210404_103810405.jpg

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I prefer your third paragraph to your first. For the first, just bear in mind that all religious teachings were written by humans (apologies to Pete, I don't believe they were written by God). They were written by numerous people with different agendas for people within different cultures over hundreds of years. Finding them contradictory doesn't prove there is no God, indeed I think it's inevitable that they would be so.

That was the point I was making (badly). The scriptures to me are so contradictory because they're not the word of God but written by many different humans over a long, long time to tell a narrative they want to be told and passed down orally before writing was invented to consolidate them. Some of those people will have preferred using the carrot (God is kind and just) others coercion and fear (God is vengeful) hence you end up with this seemingly 'bi-polar' God when all these stories are brought together and written down. Many Jesus miracles exist in Roman mythology and have been assimilated to ease the transition from Roman to Christian belief, resulting in the Roman Catholic church.

Like the story of the feeding of the 5000. I take that as like the fisherman that caught a minnow and by the end of the week it's a blue whale. It gets embellished in the retelling. Chances are he maybe fed a few dozen and with each retelling it got more and more fanciful. Maybe Jesus did walk on water. I can, as long as it's frozen. Maybe there were some slightly submerged rocks or platforms that gave the impression of walking on water? Maybe he did bring Lazarus back from the dead - he just invented CPR? Maybe he himself rose from the dead because he wasn't actually dead when he was put in his tomb, then all the rest of it gets added on for embellishment?

I also think the ages of the older people in the early parts of the Bible is either a misunderstanding or misinterpretation. At that time knowing exactly how long a year was would've been difficult - heliocentricity wasn't a thing. But there is another easily visible body in the sky that changes regularly that you could use to measure time - the moon. So I suggest their 'year' is in fact one lunar cycle. There's roughly 13 of those a year (every 28 days) so if you take their ages and divide by 13 you get them living to around 80 - still a very long time for the age but given these individuals high status they'd be well provided and cared for.

mrtrench

Used to do many of the Psalms as a young teenager.
Half a crown for weddings too couldn't be sniffed at .
Did confirmation classes also but didn't get too far into it

Don't know if it was me becoming aware of class divide , but definitely the first time I felt awkward and wouldn't fit in .

It's hard to fit in, isn't it? I've never felt comfortable in Middle Class company, even though I am now myself. I often wonder what I'd be like if I'd had wealthy parents.

SBT

I have no interest in religion but I feel slightly uncomfortable with the mocking of religion. Pete is clearly a good guy and mocking faith seems unfair. It’s brave I think in a football forum to stand up for his beliefs

Nice sentiment and everything, but how do you reconcile it with the post below?

there shod be publication of these images everywhere in the newspapers and Social media and just end this nonsense once and for all

mrtrench

Are you Michael Heseltine?

I have his hair presently.

Why? Did he have them also? I'd love some originals. I have faux Ho Chi Minh posters from when we were in Viet Nam and some Czech children's comics (with full on propaganda going on).

NorthernWisdom

I have his hair presently.

Why? Did he have them also? I'd love some originals. I have faux Ho Chi Minh posters from when we were in Viet Nam and some Czech children's comics (with full on propaganda going on).
His garden.

EHhAG4dX0AcplSa.jpg

NorthernWisdom

Not at all it’s your right as a member of the Church of England to use the beautiful buildings for your special day and to ask gods blessing on your married life.
I don't know, I feel uncomfortable making vows in front of something I don't believe in. I can make excuses, about how it's not me but my wife who wanted it, and that may be true, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that I can feel slightly hypocritical.

Even more so if I then spend my time actively running down the institution that allows me the space to do such a thing.

Otis

I don't know, I feel uncomfortable making vows in front of something I don't believe in. I can make excuses, about how it's not me but my wife who wanted it, and that may be true, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that I can feel slightly hypocritical.

Even more so if I then spend my time actively running down the institution that allows me the space to do such a thing.
I had a civil ceremony in St. Mary's Guildhall. Lovely setting.

Just with the wrong woman.

D

Deleted member 4439

Maybe he himself rose from the dead because he wasn't actually dead when he was put in his tomb, then all the rest of it gets added on for embellishment?

Resurrection was a common theme in religions long before and during the rise of Christainity.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Resurrection was a common theme in religions long before and during the rise of Christainity.

Oh, I agree that's a far more likely explanation of just rehashing an old story, but again the original story itself would probably have begun from a person who was supposedly dead rising from the grave.

oakey

Anyone who loves choral music check out 'The Sixteen'. Sublime. Seen them live many times - Oxford, Birmingham, Worcester. They appear at Coventry cathedral occasionally.

covcity4life

Il be honest my bitterness towards the idea of there being a god began when my mother passed away when I was 11 .

I struggled with the idea that somebody so young could suffer for several years .
I don't know how or what I'd be feeling today had things been different
Thanks for sharing

When I saw your post on page 2 or whatever I was dissapointed you being a dick to those that believe

But context helps and it is understandable.

If there is a god I hope your mother is in eternal bliss right now

covcity4life

I have no interest in religion but I feel slightly uncomfortable with the mocking of religion. Pete is clearly a good guy and mocking faith seems unfair. It’s brave I think in a football forum to stand up for his beliefs
Well said G

I didn't want to click on this thread as I knew know it would play put but glad by the end of the thread it has changed

Users who are viewing this thread