School Protests (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Should the world survive a few more thousand years then indeed we will look like we are from before the age of enlightenment. Eighty-five percent of the universe, including the very stuff we exist in, is made up of dark matter about which we know next to nothing.

Going way back to my misspent times, I had the God-spot experience whilst on LSD, amphetamine and dope. It was both frightening and revelatory. My whole being was like a body of atoms merged with my entire surroundings as a shield of pure, white light. I was the wall, the floor, the universe. This wasn't just some mad visionary thing. It was me, everything as one as white light.

I also know from my doctorate studies in cognition and posture that as much as this being a view of the universe it could simply be a complete breakdown of my physical senses. But who knows?

I agree. In the ages to come (hopefully, if we haven't destroyed the place in the meantime) we'll look as clueless as those from the dark ages. Even more so we'll look stupid because we saw things like climate catastrophe coming and did next to nothing to prevent it all for the sake of some fancy printed bits of paper/plastic and stamped metal. I also wonder if the fact we're making everything onto technology might make it seem like we leave very little record behind soon as those that follow us will be unable to access it. I've already got tons of stuff i can no longer access because the technology has changed. I sometimes wonder if maybe the lack of info from the dark ages is because the way they stored information is now lost to us.

I don't want to live forever, but i'd love to exist that long, just to see the answer to these questions and what questions follow. What is dark matter/energy? Will the universe end in the big rip or the big contraction, or something else? What is the Grand Unified Theory?

Otis

I agree. In the ages to come (hopefully, if we haven't destroyed the place in the meantime) we'll look as clueless as those from the dark ages. Even more so we'll look stupid because we saw things like climate catastrophe coming and did next to nothing to prevent it all for the sake of some fancy printed bits of paper/plastic and stamped metal. I also wonder if the fact we're making everything onto technology might make it seem like we leave very little record behind soon as those that follow us will be unable to access it. I've already got tons of stuff i can no longer access because the technology has changed. I sometimes wonder if maybe the lack of info from the dark ages is because the way they stored information is now lost to us.

I don't want to live forever, but i'd love to exist that long, just to see the answer to these questions and what questions follow. What is dark matter/energy? Will the universe end in the big rip or the big contraction, or something else? What is the Grand Unified Theory?
That's just a GUT feeling.

TomRad85

There are people out there working on radical life extension, some who believe it may not be as far away as you might think. So who knows, science might sort that for you.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4439

My sister often laments that the days of families sitting around a box of old photos are over and that photos are now locked away on individual's hones and will be lost.

Me too! As I grow older I find myself musing more often on this. Yesterday as I sat in a small tailback on a road, I saw a grandmother cross the road with a pram. That babe may only be a few generations up from me, but I did stop and wonder what his or her experience will be. How I'd love to come back in a thousand years and see what we have developed and what we know.

clint van damme

Will City build their own stadium?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm with Christopher Hitchens on this. The thought of some divine invigilator constantly watching over us and everything we do is frightening.
I don't believe there's a god and I hope there isn't. I am one of the richest, healthiest human beings that ever lived with one of he hghest llfe expectancies, that will do for me.

I find it a frightening thought too, especially one so seemingly bipolar. Loves us but will make us leave paradise for eating fruit, kill almost everyone for not doing what he says but not provide any evidence that they actually exist. Will supposedly answer prayers on minor things like a player wanting to score a goal but decides to leave billions without food and water as not worth bothering about. If they control and create everything why create people that have free thought and don't believe in him? If Satan etc can tempt people into doing wrong he isn't all-powerful, or if he is he's telling Satan to do those things. None of it makes sense.

When I read the Bible I took it to be a load of stories that probably relate to some sort of historical happenings that couldn't be explained at the time and the people in power using them to create a narrative to keep them in power. I mean rich people supposedly don't go into heaven but all kings and queens use the reasoning that God chose them yet are incredibly wealthy. Sounds to me like something they made up to benefit themselves really. Hence why some of the earliest parts of the Bible etc tell people to not learn how to read, write or get educated. Once they could read it themselves rather than having to have it read to them by a priest of some sort they could question it.

However, I do think the idea of an invigilator may not be bad IF a 'God' were to exist. 'God' could be the equivalent of a scientist and the universe is basically a few drops of building blocks in a petri dish and 'God' is just sitting back and observing the results of his experiment. There could be numerous other petri dishes etc. The bacteria in our gut, if sentient, would have no idea that everything out here in the world exists yet it's mere centimetres away from them. Maybe we're the same - totally ignorant of just how much stuff exists outside of our universe. Wasn't that long ago the thought of other galaxies and billions of stars and planets were fanciful. Not even that long since the thought of more planets in our solar system was seemed unlikely (and heretical).

shmmeee

Scientifically speaking, you start from a theory. A theory is more than an idea, it requires significant amount of supporting material. If you just have a God claim, you have no theory and then the burden of proof is on you

Show me your proof god exists and we can break it down and dismantle it quite comfortably

No you start from a hypothesis and develop to a theory. A theory is the furthest you get. Gravity is a theory. God isn’t a provable hypothesis so sits entirely outside scientific endeavour like whether we’re all in VR, or if the light goes off when you close the fridge.

Tommo1993

No words, just gifs. Other than: I could read this stuff all night.
giphy.gif

shmmeee

I mean, it's a nonsense, but what would constitute evidence that 'God' doesn't exist. It's such a mental abstract theory that any evidence would just be dismissed. Sorry don't know how I've allowed myself to get sucked in to this one.

Maybe not God, but certainly the predictions made about the earth and space by his proponents/literature.

You can run and hide behind “spirituality”, but that’s basically a bunch of new age woo that’s also disproven. So you end up with vague crap like “I believe in something” because as soon as you go beyond that reality and modern science take you out back and kick the shit out of you.

Brighton Sky Blue

There are people out there working on radical life extension, some who believe it may not be as far away as you might think. So who knows, science might sort that for you.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The idea of ‘downloading’ someone’s brain as Elon Musk is semi proposing I find fascinating.

Sbarcher

I think for many the world will end if Max scored a hat-trick.

mrtrench

Unthinking organised power and control religion is a real problem. Faith that expresses itself through love is what I aspire to and it’s challenging the hell out of me

Good morning! Went to bed early last night.

I aspire to the same thing but without the faith bit. Having said that, I am considering getting involved in the church again. We're moving to a new house opposite a church in a small community and we may go.

I think I originally left the church because of the hypocrisy but that doesn't matter to me much any more. I've always loved the architecture; the art and the music. When I was young I hated the high church and wanted everything to be 'right on' and evangelical. Now, I actually like the idea of the rituals of the high church.

Otis

I aspire to the same thing but without the faith bit. Having said that, I am considering getting involved in the church again. We're moving to a new house opposite a church in a small community and we may go.

I think I originally left the church because of the hypocrisy but that doesn't matter to me much any more. I've always loved the architecture; the art and the music. When I was young I hated the high church and wanted everything to be 'right on' and evangelical. Now, I actually like the idea of the rituals of the high church.
I love old churches and all the history and there are some great morals in the Bible and I'm sure in all other religious books too.

Unfortunately, some words and scriptures have been hijacked by the few and have brought hatred and division to our world.

mrtrench

I love old churches and all the history and there are some great morals in the Bible and I'm sure in all other religious books too.

Unfortunately, some words and scriptures have been hijacked by the few and have brought hatred and division to our world.

That's true. But then everything will have some bad. This is fundamental to my own home-grown philosophy: accept that there is no perfection and there will always be unhappiness and bullying etc. and make the best of what there is.

mrtrench

I find it a frightening thought too, especially one so seemingly bipolar. Loves us but will make us leave paradise for eating fruit, kill almost everyone for not doing what he says but not provide any evidence that they actually exist. Will supposedly answer prayers on minor things like a player wanting to score a goal but decides to leave billions without food and water as not worth bothering about. If they control and create everything why create people that have free thought and don't believe in him? If Satan etc can tempt people into doing wrong he isn't all-powerful, or if he is he's telling Satan to do those things. None of it makes sense.

When I read the Bible I took it to be a load of stories that probably relate to some sort of historical happenings that couldn't be explained at the time and the people in power using them to create a narrative to keep them in power. I mean rich people supposedly don't go into heaven but all kings and queens use the reasoning that God chose them yet are incredibly wealthy. Sounds to me like something they made up to benefit themselves really. Hence why some of the earliest parts of the Bible etc tell people to not learn how to read, write or get educated. Once they could read it themselves rather than having to have it read to them by a priest of some sort they could question it.

However, I do think the idea of an invigilator may not be bad IF a 'God' were to exist. 'God' could be the equivalent of a scientist and the universe is basically a few drops of building blocks in a petri dish and 'God' is just sitting back and observing the results of his experiment. There could be numerous other petri dishes etc. The bacteria in our gut, if sentient, would have no idea that everything out here in the world exists yet it's mere centimetres away from them. Maybe we're the same - totally ignorant of just how much stuff exists outside of our universe. Wasn't that long ago the thought of other galaxies and billions of stars and planets were fanciful. Not even that long since the thought of more planets in our solar system was seemed unlikely (and heretical).

I prefer your third paragraph to your first. For the first, just bear in mind that all religious teachings were written by humans (apologies to Pete, I don't believe they were written by God). They were written by numerous people with different agendas for people within different cultures over hundreds of years. Finding them contradictory doesn't prove there is no God, indeed I think it's inevitable that they would be so.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hearing Greek Orthodox services on Crete was something else even as a heathen. A collection of Greek answers to Tom Jones turning out prayers on a Sunday morning.

NorthernWisdom

The architecture and social history has always been the bit for me.

It's hard to be overly critical too after getting married in a CofE church - slightly hypocritical if me, that, given my lack of belief.

mrtrench

Il be honest my bitterness towards the idea of there being a god began when my mother passed away when I was 11 .

I struggled with the idea that somebody so young could suffer for several years .
I don't know how or what I'd be feeling today had things been different

I don't believe that there is a God that interferes for the good or bad of individual people. There seems to be too much evidence to me that points to it being very unlikely.

Sky Blue Pete

Yep we need communities of faith acting out in love Christian agnostic atheist Muslims Hindus Sikhs scientists pagans.

Sky Blue Pete

I prefer your third paragraph to your first. For the first, just bear in mind that all religious teachings were written by humans (apologies to Pete, I don't believe they were written by God). They were written by numerous people with different agendas for people within different cultures over hundreds of years. Finding them contradictory doesn't prove there is no God, indeed I think it's inevitable that they would be so.
I don’t believe they were written by god they were god inspired and written by men mainly and a women , maybe 2. Most people read it or are taught to as a moralistic instruction encyclopaedia when it is a compendium of books written for different reasons over thousands of years. Some passed down orally others written down to share stories and to make certain points.
I also notice and am currently thinking through how our understanding clearly evolves throughout the whole of the bible and is unlikely to have stopped at that point.
I think some clearly had agendas and others not at all. Some of the most obscure books have some of the most powerful testimonies of people pursuing god
my favourite is in Micah a minor prophet that in response to what god requires is

Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly - now there’s a challenge

Sky Blue Pete

The architecture and social history has always been the bit for me.

It's hard to be overly critical too after getting married in a CofE church - slightly hypocritical if me, that, given my lack of belief.
Not at all it’s your right as a member of the Church of England to use the beautiful buildings for your special day and to ask gods blessing on your married life. I’d happily pray for that and I’m not a big believer in interventionary prayer. How unfair that a young boy loses his mum at 11 and my church leader got a parking space!!!! Pull the other one! That’s a god I have no time for.
Talk to me about a god that is heartbroken over the death of a mum and teaching responsibility to the church leader to leave on time to get a space close enough

mrtrench

I don’t believe they were written by god they were god inspired and written by men mainly and a women , maybe 2. Most people read it or are taught to as a moralistic instruction encyclopaedia when it is a compendium of books written for different reasons over thousands of years. Some passed down orally others written down to share stories and to make certain points.
I also notice and am currently thinking through how our understanding clearly evolves throughout the whole of the bible and is unlikely to have stopped at that point.
I think some clearly had agendas and others not at all. Some of the most obscure books have some of the most powerful testimonies of people pursuing god
my favourite is in Micah a minor prophet that in response to what god requires is

Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly - now there’s a challenge

I don't like Paul. He seems so officious and bossy. I have always got the feeling that I wouldn't have liked him had I met him.

I was going to mention on the bad hair thread that I look like Esau at the moment but didn't because I didn't think many would get it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread