School Protests (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Depends on the school. Religious schools tend to focus on theirs in my experience and like any subject area some teachers are only comfortable with what they know and teach that.

Why I don't think faith schools are a good idea and why free schools exacerbate the situation. No surprise a lot of institutions wanting to set up free schools have religious backing. Get them young before the brain is developed enough to rationally question what they're being told.

Nick

Administrator
the right to free speech and the right to peaceful protest are all part of the same basic rights we have in this country.
They're trying to take away our right to peaceful protest, free speech will be next if we're not careful.

The example you've given about driving at 150mph makes no sense, it's illegal to do that, it's not illegal to peacefully protest, (yet).
Are you forgetting the lockdown?

Yeah... It is breaking current rules isn't it which people get fined for. That's probably the point about fining them.

Me driving at 150 is breaking rules too but if I say it's a protest its OK?

fernandopartridge

Yeah... It is breaking current rules isn't it which people get fined for. That's probably the point about fining them.

Protest should be exempt (in a democracy) from lockdown rules as it was in lockdown 1

clint van damme

I actually did forget about lock down but given everyone from BLM and football supporters through to anti lockdown protestors and the British Union of fascists have gathered illegally and nothings happened I doubt the police are going to go down the rabbit hole of starting to fine this lot. That train has Well and truly left the station.

Nick

Administrator

Pretty sure I know which is more scary to a kid's wellbeing.

Full investigation and criminal charges. Oh dear.

Grendel

Well they can't get him for blasphemy but some drip might claim its a hate crime, then all bets are off.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

there shod be publication of these images everywhere in the newspapers and Social media and just end this nonsense once and for all

TomRad85

there shod be publication of these images everywhere in the newspapers and Social media and just end this nonsense once and for all
Agreed, we've normalised mocking Christianity, other religions shouldn't be off limits.

Edit: and I doubt that the teacher was mocking anyway.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed, we've normalised mocking Christianity, other religions shouldn't be off limits.

Edit: and I doubt that the teacher was mocking anyway.

Suspect he did the same as the French guy, showing some of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons in some lesson around free speech. Maybe if these people can't handle it they should leave for a country that also executes anyone who defames him with a picture

TomRad85

Suspect he did the same as the French guy, showing some of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons in some lesson around free speech. Maybe if these people can't handle it they should leave for a country that also executes anyone who defames him with a picture
Reading the message from students he was educating against Islamophobia... only to be jumped on by a bunch of deranged Islamists. Some people really don't do themselves any favours.

shmmeee

I don't share your view that this small group of fanatics is suddenly going to start dictating curriculum policy. I do think that if teachers are a bit more discerning about how they handle culturally sensitive stuff, then you can easily remove any reason for these guys to show up in the first place, and I don't think that's a cost which is too much to bear.

They are dictating classroom policy. The guy has been suspended and future teachers are highly unlikely to do it themselves. This is their aim, they’re a rent a mob trying to push a fringe religion.

Fuck em.

shmmeee

Why I don't think faith schools are a good idea and why free schools exacerbate the situation. No surprise a lot of institutions wanting to set up free schools have religious backing. Get them young before the brain is developed enough to rationally question what they're being told.

Heard a rumour that the fundamentalist Christians who took over Woodway Park were offered Stringer at first and turned it down because they knew they couldn’t convert the mostly Muslim student body.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't share your view that this small group of fanatics is suddenly going to start dictating curriculum policy. I do think that if teachers are a bit more discerning about how they handle culturally sensitive stuff, then you can easily remove any reason for these guys to show up in the first place, and I don't think that's a cost which is too much to bear.

How do you know he wasn't?

SBT

Without seeing the lesson plan or him deliver it how can anyone answer that?

Well assuming he knows the potential of pictures of Mohammed to offend, presumably he decided it was so important to his lesson plan anyway that it was worth the potential controversy/disciplinary action. Was it really worth it?

If he didn’t know, I’d suggest he maybe wasn’t the best person to teach RE in the first place.

Liquid Gold

We don't have blasphemy laws in this country so he should be allowed to show the photo. It should have been done with advanced warning though so kids could opt out or parents say they don't give consent.

This is yet another case of society falling apart because everybody is an idiot in a bubble.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Fuck christianity, fuck Islam, fuck judaism, fuck wicca, fuck hinduism, fuck sikhism - nah, I like Sikhs, ....... basically bollocks to religion!

Brighton Sky Blue

Well assuming he knows the potential of pictures of Mohammed to offend, presumably he decided it was so important to his lesson plan anyway that it was worth the potential controversy/disciplinary action. Was it really worth it?

If he didn’t know, I’d suggest he maybe wasn’t the best person to teach RE in the first place.

He probably wasn't thinking 'this'll piss them off let's go for it', nor was the French teacher who was killed for the same thing. Still clear to see which way your bread's buttered though and it's not with the young man with his family under police guard.

The parents who find a cartoon so abhorrent are welcome to remove their children from the school and send them somewhere else. And if they don't like living in a country where people have the freedom to show images of religious prophets there's a big enough selection of places where it's given capital punishment.

SBT

He probably wasn't thinking 'this'll piss them off let's go for it', nor was the French teacher who was killed for the same thing. Still clear to see which way your bread's buttered though and it's not with the young man with his family under police guard.

I understand why you would naturally back the teacher in this scenario, but it seems to me like he’s failed in the most fundamental part of his job, which is ensuring a safe learning environment for his pupils. Not sure I’d want this guy teaching my kids, knowing he’s prepared to gratuitously bait fundamentalist lunatics in the name of a trivial free speech ‘victory’ (or even worse, out of pure ignorance)

clint van damme

I understand why you would naturally back the teacher in this scenario, but it seems to me like he’s failed in the most fundamental part of his job, which is ensuring a safe learning environment for his pupils. Not sure I’d want this guy teaching my kids, knowing he’s prepared to gratuitously bait fundamentalist lunatics in the name of a trivial free speech ‘victory’ (or even worse, out of pure ignorance)

You may be right about the teacher but this argument goes beyond his actions now.

Quite simply we cannot give in and say that Islam cannot be criticised or ridiculed (same goes for any institution, country or religion).

I constantly stick up for Muslims when people seek to tar them all with the same brush because of the actions of a few.

I defend their right to protest about these issues.

But we need to make it clear and put it to bed once and for all that in this country we have the right to free speech (not for long the way the tories are going).

If this teacher loses his job, or worse gets prosecuted, it won't be the end of it.

D

Deleted member 4439

My impression - for that is all it can be without details of the lesson being known - is that he used the depiction to prompt classroom discussion over intolerance. In the same way, as a boomer my lessons at school included the sharing of the most grotesque images made by the Nazis of the Jewish people.

But I have to agree that given not only the fact that many (but not all) muslims say that images of their prophet are forbidden - quite beyond the history of the particular image in question - then maybe he wasn't the best person to have taught RE in the first place.

We should in the meantime remember that the small minority of extremists do not represent their population, any more than reclaimer of the milk represent the white male.

shmmeee

You are so far off the mark here it’s unbelievable.

I hope you haven’t got kids and if you do I hope you home school then with ridiculous opinions like this.

Skybluemichael

This is a joke, South Park showed him years ago no one bat an eyelid, D3FF3F12-112A-40CC-AB87-6ABFA5BD7BAF.jpeg
5years later they take the piss out of family guy for showing him and threaten to do the same and there was uproar

SBT

You may be right about the teacher but this argument goes beyond his actions now.

Quite simply we cannot give in and say that Islam cannot be criticised or ridiculed (same goes for any institution, country or religion).

I constantly stick up for Muslims when people seek to tar them all with the same brush because of the actions of a few.

I defend their right to protest about these issues.

But we need to make it clear and put it to bed once and for all that in this country we have the right to free speech (not for long the way the tories are going).

If this teacher loses his job, or worse gets prosecuted, it won't be the end of it.

I’m not saying we should kowtow to religious fanatics, or ban all criticism of a certain religion. I’m saying it’s dumb for people to be setting the table for an endless culture war (in a secondary school, of all places!) when there’s no tangible benefit to starting the argument in the first place, and the only real ‘opponents’ are irrelevant cranks who are desperate for one to start.

We make compromises and trade-offs on our free speech all the time - the aim is that it makes our society safer, fairer and more respectful. Not making pictures of Mohammed part of the secondary school RE curriculum might be another one. So what’s the great cost to society here? Is it so crucial to our kids’ educations that it’s worth the ensuing shitshow? Is the offense it causes to a minority so irrelevant to us that we’d rather fire up the outrage machine every six months than just skip it and get on with our lives? I know there are some free speech purists on here who want to puff out their chests (it’s the internet after all) but I just don’t see it as some massive capitulation.

Brighton Sky Blue

We have managed for decades to show Nazi propaganda in History without protest from the Jewish community. If it is found that in the lesson he insulted Islam then sure, throw the book at him. But I get the impression he made the same ‘mistake’ as the French teacher by wanting to engage students in the ultimate example of free speech debate.

Those at Charlie Hebdo didn’t deserve to die, nor did the French teacher and this one does not deserve to lose his job.

Users who are viewing this thread