Say what you like Westley out done Mowbray (1 Viewer)

stevefloyd

But isn't that what good managers do...change games? TM is a good manager but not a great manager, he has 35 years experience but not all ex players make good managers, the cream rise to the top, if your a good tactician you need to be able to motivate players into your philosophy and get them to play the way YOU tell them, IF TM was a great manager I would have thought plenty of Prem teams would be after his signature, THEY AREN'T also our players are playing in this division for a reason BECAUSE they are not top players!!!
So If a manager is astute with signings tactics etc they can get an extra 10-20% more from an average player unfortunately I am not seeing that from TM, we want players here that will run through brick walls, never give up, give 110% many of our players don't appear to be doing this and this in turn rubs off onto other players who just 'coast' thro games THIS HAS TO CHANGE so now I have completely lost myself and I am going for a lie down

joemercersaces

Don't remember too many games where the opposition should have been several goals up but we won. Happens all too frequently against us. I know fans have blinkers but I honestly can't remember us winning many matches whilst being battered. Another reason why supporting Cov is so challenging.

Irish Sky Blue

Yes but we aren't comparing Mowbray to fans on sofas, he is compared to other managers in the league. Other managers make changes and adjust their system to beat us and it works.

The guy on here said that TM is tactically naive.Is this chap talking from a position of real professional knowledge or has he just used a phrase that is a cliche and is easy to bandy about, but has no real meaning?
It's a shame for Posh fans that Westley's tactical nous didn't save them in their previous 5 home games. Obviously he was out thought by those previous 5 managers. However, he has won two games on the trot so now he is a genius again.
I thought Strachan spoke a lot of sense when he said that formations and tactics are all very well but it is in the end 11 men v 11 men and their attitude and luck play as big a part in success as anything else. In reality, I think that once the team is on the pitch the manager's influence, with the exception of subs, is minimal. I remember when Strachan was replaced by Nilson that lots of people were commenting on how good it was to have someone with a calm and measured approach on the sidelines as opposed to the animated GS who rarely sat or stood still. The fact was that this was only the right approach so long as we were winning. As soon as we went on a losing run, Nilson did not show enough passion. ( shades of what we have heard on here about TM. The fact he doesn't come onto the pitch at the end of any victory pumping his fist and clapping the fans is another reason why I like him). I think that for a lot of people you can only be a good manager if you are winning. Once you start losing you are a bad manager. You have been found out, you are being out thought. No doubt if TM turns it around he becomes good again. In reality he is someone doing his best, trying to put over his ideas and philosophies but whose future is in the hands of a squad of 20 young men and in the hands of fate too. At some point we have to follow a plan and give someone a chance to succeed. Mowbray, with his attempts at playing exciting football is the one for me. Even if we are losing, as on Friday, we are at least trying to play the right way.

Last edited:

Otis

Which was sort of my point.

Reading some of the above comments - and those on other threads - we seem to have gone from "Messiah" to "Idiot". The former was always over the top and the latter is too.

On a wider note, I struggle to remember too many times when a Cov manager has changed the game (in our favour!). In about '78, I do recall Gordon Milne bringing on Garry Thomson to play a front 5 to counteract Ipswich's sweeper system, but not too many more.....
We've had a succession of managers who have had the inability to change games.

Last one I remember prior to Peterborough at home this season was Micky Adams who made 3 subs I believe, all in the first half and we went on to beat Plymouth.

Sky Blue Kid

Don't remember too many games where the opposition should have been several goals up but we won. Happens all too frequently against us. I know fans have blinkers but I honestly can't remember us winning many matches whilst being battered. Another reason why supporting Cov is so challenging.

I can. We beat Cardiff 3-1 and Dennis Wise scored for us at the Ricoh. Cardiff battered the f**k out of us for the last 5-10 minutes of the 1st half. Then held siege to our goal for the whole of the 2nd half. They hit the post and bar too.

NorthernWisdom

On a wider note, I struggle to remember too many times when a Cov manager has changed the game (in our favour!). In about '78, I do recall Gordon Milne bringing on Garry Thomson to play a front 5 to counteract Ipswich's sweeper system, but not too many more.....

Ooh I prefer this kind of thread!

Adams made three subs to change a game v... Plymouth?

Stands out so well I can't even be sure it was against Plymouth:thinking about:

Users who are viewing this thread