Say what you like Westley out done Mowbray (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

Havind recapped Friday's match without doubt that 'orrible erk Graham Westley out manoeuvred Tony Mowbray. Seeing his team being turned over and lucky not to be 3 down after 20 minutes Westley changed thinks used subs early and turned around a possibly tonking to a victory. That's a big concern for me to be honest.

letsallsingtogether

Havind recapped Friday's match without doubt that 'orrible erk Graham Westley out manoeuvred Tony Mowbray. Seeing his team being turned over and lucky not to be 3 down after 20 minutes Westley changed thinks used subs early and turned around a possibly tonking to a victory. That's a big concern for me to be honest.

Got a lucky goal on 45 minutes......That is what changed the game.

rob9872

Can't stand Westley and don't like Peterborough either although mainly because of whinging Durham.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Mowbray is incredibly naive tactically

Mowbray generally signs good players, but prioritieses his favourites over the good of the team.

Whether that is performance or tactical wise, he gets out thought by other managers far too often.

This 'other teams have worked us out' nonsense is just that. Nonsense. If you're good enough you adapt and tactically beat them back, exploiting their weaknesses. Instead we've been embarrassingly out done far too often this season.

Otis

Mowbray generally signs good players, but prioritieses his favourites over the good of the team.

Whether that is performance or tactical wise, he gets out thought by other managers far too often.

This 'other teams have worked us out' nonsense is just that. Nonsense. If you're good enough you adapt and tactically beat them back, exploiting their weaknesses. Instead we've been embarrassingly out done far too often this season.
Other teams working us out IS the manager being out thought!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Other teams working us out IS the manager being out thought!

My point was that to be 'out thought' so often without retaliation is poor.

You can have one supreme tactic but it the opposition are blocking it, you have to adapt and we are not capable of doing that. We fall over too easily, and I'm not talking about Maddison.

rupert_bear

Let's just talk one aspect of our game. We use RCC to roll the ball out almost all the time so we do that invariably it goes short to a full back a centre half or to Fleck or Vincelot maybe even Murphy out wide they can only go backwards or sideways, little option ahead so we have penned ourselves in our own half opposition press high and eventually the ball ends up back to Cooke who has little option but to welly it up field where little Armstrong, Joe Cole or Maddison are expected to win headers against 6 foot centre halves, we lose possession and are penned in our half on the defensive, happens time and time again. Tactic is simply not working, just watch tonight. Can't Mowbray see this ? The rest of the country did Froday night !

steve82

Let's just talk one aspect of our game. We use RCC to roll the ball out almost all the time so we do that invariably it goes short to a full back a centre half or to Fleck or Vincelot maybe even Murphy out wide they can only go backwards or sideways, little option ahead so we have penned ourselves in our own half opposition press high and eventually the ball ends up back to Cooke who has little option but to welly it up field where little Armstrong, Joe Cole or Maddison are expected to win headers against 6 foot centre halves, we lose possession and are penned in our half on the defensive, happens time and time again. Tactic is simply not working, just watch tonight. Can't Mowbray see this ? The rest of the country did Froday night !

Think that's more the modern day football set up. Play out from the back, need movement from your wide players tho for it to work.
look at fleetwood when they came they played out from the back to their defenders that were level with the 6 yard box. Something Germany did also v England.
I'm not saying it's right but just the modern way, like the 4231 formation. Most teams have sacked 442, 433 off, Swindon. Played a 352 system against us but many use 4231.

Nick

Administrator
Think that's more the modern day football set up. Play out from the back, need movement from your wide players tho for it to work.
look at fleetwood when they came they played out from the back to their defenders that were level with the 6 yard box. Something Germany did also v England.
I'm not saying it's right but just the modern way, like the 4231 formation. Most teams have sacked 442, 433 off, Swindon. Played a 352 system against us but many use 4231.

But then the 4-4-2 did well for England against Germany :)

rupert_bear

The tactic is okay with the right players, no good with titches trying to out muscle big guys you eventually get overrun

Nick

Administrator
The tactic is okay with the right players, no good with titches trying to out muscle big guys you eventually get overrun

That is why good managers use a tactic that is best for the players they have, they don't try and play like Barca and then people moan we have the wrong players.

Otis

I like the guy but not sure he is the man to take us up.
I really like the guy. Would love it to be him that brings us success, bit as you say, is he the man to take us up?

Three times this has now happened to him and this season is so much beginning to resemble the Middlesborough season where they were 3rd at Christmas, 7 points clear of 7th place and they ended up 16th.

If we are not careful this could well be a mirror image of that. If it is you have to ask, what has he learnt?

steve82

I really like the guy. Would love it to be him that brings us success, bit as you say, is he the man to take us up?

Three times this has now happened to him and this season is so much beginning to resemble the Middlesborough season where they were 3rd at Christmas, 7 points clear of 7th place and they ended up 16th.

If we are not careful this could well be a mirror image of that. If it is you have to ask, what has he learnt?

Stick with him, lucks got to change at some point!

Sky Blue Kid

The highlighted formation being the one that England soundly beat Germany with the other night :)

Irish Sky Blue

Mowbray is incredibly naive tactically

Statements like this really make me laugh. Hear it all the time on 6 0 6 and the like. You are passing a judgement on someone who has worked in this industry for the past 35 years plus. You know more than he does? I'm pretty sure that Mowbray (Pressley or most other managers too) would have more football wisdom and know how than all of us on here combined. I was listening on the radio to a celebrity football fan talking about how he had sat through a game with an ex player( can't remember who either were, perhaps someone else can). The fan commented how the ex pro had talked him through the game pointing out things that were happening every few seconds that he would never have noticed.
I know when we are playing well and when we are not, when I am enjoying a game and when not.Finer details I accept I don't know or understand. I suspect most on here would be the same.Not everyone will agree with the way I see a game as it is all about opinions. Even though I have been a fan for a long time and played at Sunday League level when young, I know that Mowbray will have forgotten more than I will ever know. Mowbray makes mistakes, who doesn't. However, for someone with presumably little experience inside pro football to come on and question his tactics is a laugh. What ever job you do I would expect you to be far more knowledgable than me. Would you tell a doctor of 35 years experience how to do his job? Even poor doctors know far more than us on the outside. ( Mowbray is far from being a. Poor manager by the way). I look forward to lots of humble pie if ( I think he will, next season if not this) he gets the chance to turn things around. I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong if he gets the time but still doesn't succeed. Who could we get who is better than him or is it a case that anyone will do?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Statements like this really make me laugh. Hear it all the time on 6 0 6 and the like. You are passing a judgement on someone who has worked in this industry for the past 35 years plus. You know more than he does? I'm pretty sure that Mowbray (Pressley or most other managers too) would have more football wisdom and know how than all of us on here combined. I was listening on the radio to a celebrity football fan talking about how he had sat through a game with an ex player( can't remember who either were, perhaps someone else can). The fan commented how the ex pro had talked him through the game pointing out things that were happening every few seconds that he would never have noticed. I know when we are playing well and when we are not, when I am enjoying a game and when not. Not everyone will agree with the way I see a game as it is all about opinions. Even though I have been a fan for a long time and played at Sunday League level when young, I know that Mowbray will have forgotten more than I will ever know. Mowbray makes mistakes, who doesn't. For someone with presumably little experience inside pro football to come on and question his tactics is a laugh. What ever job you do I would expect you to be far more knowledgable than me. Would you tell a doctor of 35 years experience how to do his job? Even poor doctors know far more than us on the outside. ( Mowbray is far from being a. Poor manager by the way). I look forward to lots of humble pie if ( I think he will, next season if not this) he gets the chance to turn things around. Who could we get who is better than him or is it a case that anyone will do?

Yes but we aren't comparing Mowbray to fans on sofas, he is compared to other managers in the league. Other managers make changes and adjust their system to beat us and it works.

Liquid Gold

The fact he's making permanent signings for next season is encouraging, one of the main problems we've had this season is too many of our key players are loans. Couple that with the behind the scenes changes like revamping ryton, changing the bus and actually collecting scouting data then he's definitely taking us in the right direction.

It would be great to fluke a promotion like almost every other team seems to do at some point but we've been badly run for so long it's going to take time to turn us around. Hopefully with fewer changes to be made using the playing budget and the Maddison money we should be in a lot stronger position to challenge the top 6 next season.

rupert_bear

Let's put this in prospective we have signed a couple of 18 year olds plus this Bulgarian guy. Forget the Maddison money little or none of that will be spent on players, Anderson has clearly stated the budget if we stay in this division will be similar to this season and he has already revised the break even average gate from 11000 to 14000, just to cover his back I believe.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Let's put this in prospective we have signed a couple of 18 year olds plus this Bulgarian guy. Forget the Maddison money little or none of that will be spent on players, Anderson has clearly stated the budget if we stay in this division will be similar to this season and he has already revised the break even average gate from 11000 to 14000, just to cover his back I believe.

Isn't this season's budget quite good for League One?

fernandopartridge

No he didn't.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Wasn't Westley manager of P'boro when we came from 0-2 down to beat them 3-2?

Must have been tactical genius from whoever was managing us at the time.

Otis

Yeah, because if you are out thought in a game you are out thought in every single game throughout every season and there is never any deviation from that.

It is written in stone and simply cannot be that sometimes you can out think someone, but for the most part be out thought.

Grendel

Yes he bought on a player who almost single handedly changed the game.

CCFC88

Lets put this in perspective its only March, the transfer window isnt even open yet, what more do you want? We are signing players to build a club for the future.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Yeah, because if you are out thought in a game you are out thought in every single game throughout every season and there is never any deviation from that.

It is written in stone and simply cannot be that sometimes you can out think someone, but for the most part be out thought.

Which was sort of my point.

Reading some of the above comments - and those on other threads - we seem to have gone from "Messiah" to "Idiot". The former was always over the top and the latter is too.

On a wider note, I struggle to remember too many times when a Cov manager has changed the game (in our favour!). In about '78, I do recall Gordon Milne bringing on Garry Thomson to play a front 5 to counteract Ipswich's sweeper system, but not too many more.....

Users who are viewing this thread