Saudi Arabian League (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

I don’t want to see any of the those players saying they are going for new challenges, they need to tell the truth the money is huge and they are too greedy to turn it down. Good on Messi for turning down just over a billion pound two year contract there.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah I don't think they can really try and bullshit it's about anything but the money.

Although Messi is still going for the money rather than the love of the game too.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yeah I don't think they can really try and bullshit it's about anything but the money.

Although Messi is still going for the money rather than the love of the game too.

He’s certainly not working for free in the mls but I imagine family life will be a bit more fun in Miami.

Reactions: vow

Nick

Administrator
I watched that Michael Jordan film and it had about how the "percentage of sales" had never been done before and that Nike were shocked by it but went with it. It's made Michael Jordan over a billion for basically just having his name on trainers.

I think the Messi deal is something along those lines too with a percentage of money.

SkyBlueSoul

Smacks of the Chinese Super League, wonder how long it will last. I was reading the other day that PIF (Newcastle owners) are getting a 75% stake in all 4 top teams, and various oil etc companies are getting controlling stakes of some other teams in order to fund it all.

SBT

The MLS deal supposedly involves an ownership stake in Inter Miami, and a cut of the entire league’s merchandise sales with Adidas, plus the entire league’s TV rights deal with Apple - depending on the league’s growth it could be a far more lucrative offer than the Saudi deal.

The whole deal goes completely against the existing salary rules of the league, for the benefit of a team that is still under sanction for blowing past the salary cap that already exists, and the MLS authorities are just ignoring all that and helping them get it across the line anyway.

But anyway, no fears about foreign money ruining football when it’s the Americans behind it…

Nick

Administrator
Shit, I didn't realise it was Adidas and TV rights with the whole league.... I just thought it was a % of Miami shirt sales.

How does that work because effectively Messi will be getting a % that would otherwise be going to other clubs but will also be giving Miami a boost with him playing for them?

"Sorry other championship clubs, Leicester want to sign somebody and they are going to get a % of the sky and iFollow money so you are all getting less. They are also going to have the best player by far in the league to go with it.

Oh yeah, he will get some of the money every time you buy your club's shirt too"

SBT

Shit, I didn't realise it was Adidas and TV rights with the whole league.... I just thought it was a % of Miami shirt sales.

How does that work because effectively Messi will be getting a % that would otherwise be going to other clubs but will also be giving Miami a boost with him playing for them?

"Sorry other championship clubs, Leicester want to sign somebody and they are going to get a % of the sky and iFollow money so you are all getting less. They are also going to have the best player by far in the league to go with it.

Oh yeah, he will get some of the money every time you buy your club's shirt too"
Well it’s a totally different setup with MLS - the league itself technically owns each team and all the players, the team ‘owners’ as we think of them are just shareholders who run the clubs day-to-day. Messi will be signing a contract with MLS, not with Inter Miami. MLS has agreed a merchandise contract with Adidas for all 29 clubs, and they all have to wear Adidas shirts. It’s really complicated, and I don’t think many people fully understand how the revenue sharing works (I certainly don’t) but essentially MLS can just do what it wants when it suits the league as a whole, just as they did when Beckham signed.

The argument is that bringing in a player like him will boost the whole league - ticket prices have already gone through the roof across the country for games after this summer. So the various shareholders will likely just wave it through and count their money.

napolimp

Smacks of the Chinese Super League, wonder how long it will last. I was reading the other day that PIF (Newcastle owners) are getting a 75% stake in all 4 top teams, and various oil etc companies are getting controlling stakes of some other teams in order to fund it all.

Never understood this. If you want to grow the game in your country, why not just pour money into grass roots and bring in/fund top quality coaches. Will improve the quality of the game within the country, and long term benefits for the national team. There are no short cuts to achieving a watchable product.

Skyblueweeman

I don’t want to see any of the those players saying they are going for new challenges, they need to tell the truth the money is huge and they are too greedy to turn it down. Good on Messi for turning down just over a billion pound two year contract there.

It's a carbon copy of the golf world. The Saudi sportswashing move continues at pace.

There were some golfers, unfortunately mainly the Europeans, like Poulter, Westwood and another hero of mine, Graeme McDowell who once they moved, said they were trying to grow the game, the Saudis were making progressive moves etc. Its all bullshit. Its a total money grab.

There's been more respect for the likes of Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Cam Smith who've gone and said nothing. Even more respect for Harold Varner III who said he did it for the money. At least he was honest.

The other day, Ronaldo said that the Saudi league could become one of the top 5 leagues in the world. Deluded.

NortonSkyBlue

I understand the negativity surrounding the Saudi League but it’s underestimates the desire to have a product that is world class. They have the finances to achieve it and Ronaldo was the first brick in the wall, many more will follow.
The path was set when their neighbours got involved in European football and got the exposure that comes with it, they will succeed.
The best atmosphere at a game that I have attended was the Riyadh derby between Al Hilal and Al Nassr, nothing I have witnessed comes close.

Skyblueweeman

I understand the negativity surrounding the Saudi League but it’s underestimates the desire to have a product that is world class. They have the finances to achieve it and Ronaldo was the first brick in the wall, many more will follow.
The path was set when their neighbours got involved in European football and got the exposure that comes with it, they will succeed.
The best atmosphere at a game that I have attended was the Riyadh derby between Al Hilal and Al Nassr, nothing I have witnessed comes close.

The Chinese had the resources as well. Maybe not the oil, but they're not exactly cash poor.

That league isn't exactly attracting the worlds best players.

NortonSkyBlue

The difference is this is a Crown Prince backed project and its aim is to have a world class league regardless of cost. Players will get huge amounts of money far beyond anything seen previously and the league will get a global profile that MBS craves.

Mucca Mad Boys

The difference is this is a Crown Prince backed project and its aim is to have a world class league regardless of cost. Players will get huge amounts of money far beyond anything seen previously and the league will get a global profile that MBS craves.

I can’t see Europe being dislodged as the footballing powerhouse as of yet. Home of the biggest teams and competitions. Ronald and Benzema are impressive draws, but they are players that are not at the peak of their powers.

Sure, good players will flock to the league, but who dreams of winning the Saudi League or the AFC Championship League?

NortonSkyBlue

I can’t see Europe being dislodged as the footballing powerhouse as of yet. Home of the biggest teams and competitions. Ronald and Benzema are impressive draws, but they are players that are not at the peak of their powers.

Sure, good players will flock to the league, but who dreams of winning the Saudi League or the AFC Championship League?
Europe has nothing to fear from any source but don’t doubt they have the resources and the will to get the players from anywhere at any stage of their career by securing the financial future of players and their families for ever.

tisza

Few (if any) are going to turn down the ridiculous sums being offered to play in a soft league.

no_loyalty

Few (if any) are going to turn down the ridiculous sums being offered to play in a soft league.
Wilfried Zaha has turned down £600k a week allegedly, wants to go to PSG (not sure what they are offering him money wise).

tisza

Wilfried Zaha has turned down £600k a week allegedly, wants to go to PSG (not sure what they are offering him money wise).
Thought it was about 280k per week. Still a substantial sum but he'll get close to that staying in Europe. Palace have offered 200k apparently.

Bertola

Benzema has just won the Ballon D'or.... to say he's not at the peak of his powers is crazy

robbiekeane

Thought it was about 280k per week. Still a substantial sum but he'll get close to that staying in Europe. Palace have offered 200k apparently.
Surely after a while money loses its incremental value. Like if you’re worth $1bn what’s another $100m really (made those numbers up)

I get it if you’re a lower league prem player on £30k a week and could get injured at any moment…I’d move for a 4 year deal on £70k a week because that’s the difference between securing your family’s future for generations and not.

tisza

Surely after a while money loses its incremental value. Like if you’re worth $1bn what’s another $100m really (made those numbers up)

I get it if you’re a lower league prem player on £30k a week and could get injured at any moment…I’d move for a 4 year deal on £70k a week because that’s the difference between securing your family’s future for generations and not.
Lifestyle has to be a factor moving to Saudi Arabia. Isn't going to suit some

SkyBlueSoul

Lifestyle has to be a factor moving to Saudi Arabia. Isn't going to suit some
One of the reasons Benzema has cited for choosing there is being Muslim and having the chance to live in a Muslim country.

trucovfc

it's a bit of a tragedy that players like benzema are going there. So much more to offer in the top leagues. Go to SA when you're 40 odd.

fernandopartridge

Great, let them all fuck off there and we'll get on with proper football

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SBT

China had the same plan and it all went to shit. As long as elite players have a choice about where to play then they will struggle to gain a foothold.

Mucca Mad Boys

Benzema has just won the Ballon D'or.... to say he's not at the peak of his powers is crazy
He’s 35 turning 36 this year, and just like Messi and Ronaldo, no club is willing to give them big, multi-year salaries.

If there was an imaginary ‘fantasy draft’ of all the top players… would you be drafting a Benzema, Ronaldo, Messi… or a Haaland/Mbappe?

tisza

One of the reasons Benzema has cited for choosing there is being Muslim and having the chance to live in a Muslim country.
That's more understandable. Don't see the likes of Neymar or Grealish being in a rush to go there. Or players with flashy wags.
But older players with a more settled lifestyle -2/3years on that money is creating generational wealth/security.

NortonSkyBlue

Neom is on the horizon, once that is fully open then there will be players begging their agents to get them a Saudi club. It wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility to see players like Mbappe there soon. Depends on the players motivation.
The Saudi rulers are not interested in mediocrity and it will be the star names they will be offering the big money to.

SkyBlueSoul

Neom is on the horizon, once that is fully open then there will be players begging their agents to get them a Saudi club. It wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility to see players like Mbappe there soon. Depends on the players motivation.
The Saudi rulers are not interested in mediocrity and it will be the star names they will be offering the big money to.
Neom are one of the companies with a stake in a club so I wouldn't be surprised to see them offering a huge wage and free penthouse in The Line (or whatever the equivalent will be).

Users who are viewing this thread