Sam Ricketts (2 Viewers)

oucho

All the best SR- thanks for your efforts especially in the first half of last season.

Edit - anyone want to guess who'l be new club captain? Willis?

Edit 2 - from the club wishing him all the best for the future, do we think he will not stick around to continue his mentoring role in a non-playing, reduced salary capacity?

Last edited:

Grendel

Is Stokes training now?
Will be a class left sided CB once fully fit

Based on the 3 games he's played there? He's our best left back by a mile why on earth would we want him not in his best position.

oucho

Based on the 3 games he's played there? He's our best left back by a mile why on earth would we want him not in his best position.
Because Page can do a job at LB but are sorely needing some assurance and competence at CB which Stokes can definitely provide.....

Grendel

Because Page can do a job at LB but are sorely needing some assurance and competence at CB which Stokes can definitely provide.....

Page deal ends in January and id much rather stokes there and we sign a proper centre half if needed.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Ricketts still has a contract till end of season.

Even though he has retired I suppose the club still has to pay him, though there might be an insurance payout to cover the costs.
If the club were still paying him then they could make him play if he's fit (hes retired to stop further long term damage rather than an injury stopping him)

By resigning/retiring I imagine he won't be paid. It's possible he will continue to be paid a nominal amount for the remainder of the contract as some sort of sick pay but he won't get his full contract paid out.

oucho

Sad for him that he went out with the Charlton game, and his penultimate league game being Gillingham. He was awful in both and a mate of mine was amongst those who gave him some stick for approaching the away fans and applauding at the Valley. Definitely time to bow our, shame (for him and us) it wasn't on a high note.

Manchester_sky_blue

If the club were still paying him then they could make him play if he's fit (hes retired to stop further long term damage rather than an injury stopping him)

By resigning/retiring I imagine he won't be paid. It's possible he will continue to be paid a nominal amount for the remainder of the contract as some sort of sick pay but he won't get his full contract paid out.

Isn't it usually the case that Club and player come to some sort of settlement on a pay off?

duffer

In fairness there's a pretty reasonable theory that says you should always play your best players in the position that they're best in.

By moving Stokes to CB and bringing in an (arguably) weaker LB, you could actually weaken both positions rather than just the problem one at CB. I'm not saying you're wrong here, but I always think it's worth bearing in mind when shunting players around.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

We've hardly seen Stokes at CB, I'd say it's a risk to expect him to be the solution especially with the injury he's had. Ease him back in at LB where he knows the position.

skybluegod

Yep, he's better than Jordan Turnbull

What are you judging that off? Martin was awful the season before last and during his loan? Turnbull has been solid, and has been part of one of the 4th best defence in the league this season? And while he has made mistakes he is definitely not as bad has been made out by some.

ccfchoi87

What are you judging that off? Martin was awful the season before last and during his loan? Turnbull has been solid, and has been part of one of the 4th best defence in the league this season? And while he has made mistakes he is definitely not as bad has been made out by some.

Turnbull has been solid? We'll have to agree to disagree then because I dont rate him at all

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Don't think there's much between Turnbull and Martin tbh.

skybluegod

Turnbull has been solid? We'll have to agree to disagree then because I dont rate him at all

In the 9/10 games I have seen him, he has been no worse than Martin ever was, and the stats don't lie. According to most Cov fans we have two poor goalkeepers, so surely the defence must be solid?

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Would agree, think they are at similar levels, but Turnbull is only 22, so has a lot more potential to grow.

Think they both have similar limitations (slow, not great on the ball, not as physically dominant as they could be). Not been impressed by Turnbull this year but as you say, Martin was god awful season before last.

chiefdave

Isn't it usually the case that Club and player come to some sort of settlement on a pay off?
That's for cancelling a contract isn't it. Think retiring is different, didn't Kilbane say he was retiring so the club didn't have to keep paying him when he felt he couldn't contribute?

fernandopartridge

Yep, he's better than Jordan Turnbull

Where's the evidence?

I think some views of Martin are being obscured by a decent spell last season. He was poor for most of the rest of his time with us. We've conceded no more goals this season than we had this time last season.

ccfchoi87

Where's the evidence?

I think some views of Martin are being obscured by a decent spell last season. He was poor for most of the rest of his time with us. We've conceded no more goals this season than we had this time last season.

It's my opinion? Many people say gerrard is better than lampard but again all stats prove otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread