Sam ricketts to sign.. (1 Viewer)

Pusb1

Sam Ricketts will be joining before our next game on Tuesday... short term contract agreed until the end of the season...- experienced defender just what is needed.

Was at the Chesterfield game with the team on Saturday...

Nick

Administrator
Wouldn't be a bad signing, seems he can play all the way across the defence. Bit of experience also.

Nick

Administrator
Unless it is one of those "he is released" then 15 minutes later "he has signed for"

No idea, hopefully it won't be a loan.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Unless it is one of those "he is released" then 15 minutes later "he has signed for"

No idea, hopefully it won't be a loan.

I don't think you can do that outside of a transfer window otherwise it creates a bit of a loophole, I think a free agent can only be signed now if he was unattached/released before the end of the Januaray transfer window.

Its why when we released Baker in the summer, we done it on the last day of the transfer window. Even though he didn't have another club lined up at that time (he didn't sign for MK till about 4 weeks later) if we hadn't released him before the transfer deadline he wouldn't have been allowed to sign for MK.

I'm not 100% sure on this but that is my understanding of it.

Pete in Portugal

I don't think you can do that outside of a transfer window otherwise it creates a bit of a loophole, I think a free agent can only be signed now if he was unattached/released before the end of the Januaray transfer window.

Its why when we released Baker in the summer, we done it on the last day of the transfer window. Even though he didn't have another club lined up at that time (he didn't sign for MK till about 4 weeks later) if we hadn't released him before the transfer deadline he wouldn't have been allowed to sign for MK.

I'm not 100% sure on this but that is my understanding of it.

That's my understanding too. It means that, if true and if he's still contracted to Wolves, it must be another loan.

LJC_CCFC

Premier League and Championship experience, granted he's slowed down a bit but would still be one of best defenders in League One. Positive.

Woodster

Stokes' loan is up on Saturday, so if this comes off presumably a like for like loan. Except he's better than Stokes.

KersleyDigs

Is he a left back then? If so, I assume Stokes will go back, if he is coming in to play centre back maybe that Brentford striker will go back?

rupert_bear

There needs to be more, I have heard Michael Jacobs from the Wolves is on the radar too, another good player at this level and of course there's the goalkeeping position, need a body in there atleast as back up to Burge.

Last edited:
He can play anywhere along the back line but primarily a full back.
Comfortable with both feet, an international and a promotion winner so would be a top acquisition.

rupert_bear

I would still keep Chris Stokes too atleast until the end of the season, he can defend and is improving and left footed

SkyBlue_Bear83

There needs to be more, I have heard Michael Jacobs from the Wolves is on the radar too, another good player at this level and of course there's the goalkeeping position, need a body in there atleast as back up to Burge.

Jacobs went on loan to someone (think it was Blackpool) a few days ago

no_loyalty

Will hopefully keep Andy Webster out of the match day squad

skybluelee

Really? Waste of space?

Yes, he's on the treatment table more than we'd like but even still, he's our 2nd top scorer this season and our form started to take a dip after his red card.

I'd go along with the 'waste of space' tag.

He's spent most of the season on the treatment table, and took the worst penalty I have ever seen v Worcester (with the possible exception of Elliot Ward's v Southampton in circa 2008) which led to our most humiliating defeat since 1989.

no_loyalty

Really? Waste of space?

Yes, he's on the treatment table more than we'd like but even still, he's our 2nd top scorer this season and our form started to take a dip after his red card.

I bet he is not on a pay as you play deal, so yes he is a waste of space and taking the club for a mug

dongonzalos

All season we have needed two wingers a defensive midfielder. A replacement for Reda who unfortunately we cannot rely on. (We were warned)
It's took a new manager and a genuine threat of relegation to get those signings.

Sometimes the club really should listen to the fans.

Skyblueweeman

I'd go along with the 'waste of space' tag.

He's spent most of the season on the treatment table, and took the worst penalty I have ever seen v Worcester (with the possible exception of Elliot Ward's v Southampton in circa 2008) which led to our most humiliating defeat since 1989.

So he's been injured quite a lot, fair point. And he missed a pen...apart from Matt Le Tissier, everyone misses pens. He cannot solely be blamed for the Worcester defeat any more than Burge.

When he has played, he's scored goals and in the first few months of the season, our defence looked better with him in it. Hardly a waste of space, especially the goal scoring bit but each to their own.

Evo1883

Having just looked at wolves forum ,most there seem to agree he is not fast enough for the championship anymore at 33.
But they seem to think he would do a great job in league1 again .
I understand he is out of contract in the summer and would be very pleased if a player of this calibre and proven leadership would sign on a season deal with us in may .
And...we should make him captain if this happens

shmmeee

So, Mowbrays been here less than a week and in his first two signings seems to have tried to actually address where the squad is weak.

Why couldn't Pressley do this in several months?

Users who are viewing this thread