Sam McCallum (1 Viewer)

Briles

Have never done one of these but I have it on good authority he will be with us this season, albeit on loan. I say good authority, its a mate connected to the clubs youth set up so take it as you will. Would take him mind.

Mr Panda

How did he do last season with QPR anyway?

He was good for us but if he's still the McCallum of old it's a shame to lose the attacking ability Maatsen gave us - an area Sam needed alot of improvement

Liquid Gold

He was good for us but if he's still the McCallum of old it's a shame to lose the attacking ability Maatsen gave us - an area Sam needed alot of improvement
He was their young player of the year and was stifled as an attacking threat by playing with a right footed LCB behind him whose passing stats were atrocious for that year.

Briles

Still got his long throw and crossing and height. Maatsen had none of those but he was brilliant on the ball

KenilworthSkyBlue

Yeah I don't get the criticism of him as an attacking player, he gets forward well and even scores

Not sure I agree. He would rarely look to get forward and instead opt for a reverse back pass or square it. He's not particularly quick and is often reluctant to take players on. His crossing was also highly suspect.

Liquid Gold

Not sure I agree. He would rarely look to get forward and instead opt for a reverse back pass or square it. He's not particularly quick and is often reluctant to take players on. His crossing was also highly suspect.
That's because the ball was so often played behind him because of Hyam being right footed.

Someone made a YouTube compilation of it at some point and the lad so often had nowhere to turn apart from the easy ball back.

KenilworthSkyBlue

That's because the ball was so often played behind him because of Hyam being right footed.

Someone made a YouTube compilation of it at some point and the lad so often had nowhere to turn apart from the easy ball back.

It isn't at all as he did it regularly even when he was further up the pitch. Granted, that probably didn't help at times but it isn't the sole reason behind why he didn't/couldn't get forward or take players on.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I liked Maatsen but preferred McCallum as Dabo got forward more with McCallum in the team and I think Dabo is more effective than Maatsen in terms of generating assists, I think Maatsen would have been a good AM infront of McCallum

fernandopartridge

He did get forward, he used to have to opt for a reverse back pass or square ball as Hyam used to play the ball behind him 95% of the time

KenilworthSkyBlue

He did get forward, he used to have to opt for a reverse back pass or square ball as Hyam used to play the ball behind him 95% of the time

See above. He wouldn't as even when receiving or carrying the ball in or around the oppositions half he would regularly opt for the safer option rather than cross or attempt a take-on. To blame that solely on Hyam is massively far-fetched.

Hertsccfc

Exactly. He did get forward and showed real ability in doing so at times. Giles was clearly a more offensive minded type of wing back but was also more predictable and suspect defensively. McCallum linked really well with Hamer and O'Hare, and many of his square passes were more effective than Giles entirely predictable runs.

People forget that for much of that season we were under a lot of pressure and it made no sense for our wing backs to leave the defence free from cover. His contribution that season was massively underrated by many.

Users who are viewing this thread