Sam mccallum (1 Viewer)

Magwitch

Move Giles to Midfield ?
I’m sure Mark Robins knows what he is doing and why. Clever move imo by Robins signs a player we have just got £2million+ for and can slot into the team knows the system and strengthens our left side and gives variety, as for Giles he played a lot of his Shrewsbury games wide left midfield and in his two games so far has shown how good he can be running at a defence. Won’t surprise me to see both start with Hamer’s passing ability left or right I’m quiet exited how we adapt.
It also gives Robins options to positively change tact half way through a game too.
Our next signing will be interesting.

cc84cov

I’m sure Mark Robins knows what he is doing and why. Clever move imo by Robins signs a player we have just got £2million+ for and can slot into the team knows the system and strengthens our left side and gives variety, as for Giles he played a lot of his Shrewsbury games wide left midfield and in his two games so far has shown how good he can be running at a defence. Won’t surprise me to see both start with Hamer’s passing ability left or right I’m quiet exited how we adapt.
It also gives Robins options to positively change tact half way through a game too.
Our next signing will be interesting.
Who’s next ?

Gibbo

Mccallum is much better defensively, including defending corners. We need two players for the wing back positions as they're so important to the way we play. Horses for courses on who plays I suspect
Thw two corners we have conceded from were down to poor cover at the far post weren't they? ON both occaisions that was the left.

Gibbo

Out of interest, this means we have used 2 of our loan slots on one position. We now have Giles, McCallum and Ostigard as loans. It means that probably any additional player brought in for the CDM slot would have to be a free or a purchase.

It is concievable that if Rose comes back, two of our loans will be on the bench, which would seem wasteful

Frostie

Out of interest, this means we have used 2 of our loan slots on one position. We now have Giles, McCallum and Ostigard as loans. It means that probably any additional player brought in for the CDM slot would have to be a free or a purchase.

It is concievable that if Rose comes back, two of our loans will be on the bench, which would seem wasteful

Sheaf is a loan too.

capel & collindridge

How awesome would be it be if we had Tues sat 4 weeks in a row and Giles and mcallum each got 4 games vs tired defenders? Squad game!
And if we took a few points in those games off teams that Norwich might consider were promotion rivals, wouldn't that benefit Norwich more than having a talented McCallum on their books but with no chance of a first team game and nowhere else to get a game other than in their U23s?

Gibbo

Last thought. I think this move was not planned, not strategic, but wholly opportunistic. This is not necessarily a good thing. Norwich knocked on the door and we saw the merit in it.

It was not because a weakness in the team more important than any othe was identified, leading to a search for a suitable loan.

covcity4life

Last thought. I think this move was not planned, not strategic, but wholly opportunistic. This is not necessarily a good thing. Norwich knocked on the door and we saw the merit in it.

It was not because a weakness in the team more important than any othe was identified, leading to a search for a suitable loan.
How the feck do you know that?! No faith in recruitment team?

johnwillomagic

Jeez I am amazed at the amount of negatives on McCalum most clearly don't have a clue or have never played football at any decent level.

McCallum was an absolute best at that LWB role last season won virtually everything in the air and scored a couple of crackers too! Wycombe and Wimbledon if memory serves me well.

I personally think it is a great signing and will allow Giles to push further up the park - I noticed having played the game Giles has pace to burn has a very good understanding with O'hare but was not that clever defensively all be it against a hard opponent in Samuel for QPR.

I think Allen has taken some unfair criticism but arguably Giles has more pace which in the championship is gold dust can easily see him playing with O'Hare behind Godden and McCallum slotting in at Left Wing back....very exciting times ahead!

Sky Blue Pete

One thing occurred to me that it may not be costing us anything apart from delaying receiving granger money. May have done a deal to delay the next payment

Ccfcisparks

Jeez I am amazed at the amount of negatives on McCalum most clearly don't have a clue or have never played football at any decent level.

McCallum was an absolute best at that LWB role last season won virtually everything in the air and scored a couple of crackers too! Wycombe and Wimbledon if memory serves me well.

I personally think it is a great signing and will allow Giles to push further up the park - I noticed having played the game Giles has pace to burn has a very good understanding with O'hare but was not that clever defensively all be it against a hard opponent in Samuel for QPR.

I think Allen has taken some unfair criticism but arguably Giles has more pace which in the championship is gold dust can easily see him playing with O'Hare behind Godden and McCallum slotting in at Left Wing back....very exciting times ahead!
I’m sorry but if you have played football at a decent level you can clearly see that Giles is not an attacking midfielder.

johnwillomagic

HIs best work the last game was very advanced down the field when he got round the full back and stood one up at the back post for Godden....

Magwitch

As for loans I think you are allowed more than five but can only play a maximum of five.
I’m sorry but if you have played football at a decent level you can clearly see that Giles is not an attacking midfielder.
Well Robins has played at a decent level probably better than you let’s see where he plays Giles I think midfield is a real possibility

Gibbo

How the feck do you know that?! No faith in recruitment team?
It is a reasonably educated guess though, don't you think? It is pretty clear getting a new LWB is not a top priority, there are bigger holes, and that having four loans is out of character for Robins. Norwich came knocking, and we thought "bargain".

No human outside your own family warrants an emotion as strong as 'faith' so no, you are right I do not have blind 'faith' in our recruitment team - who after all have had a few duds - Kastaneer, Vincenti, those two loans in League 2, JCH. I suspect Hissner is too. There will always be duds (it goes with the job) but they have had fewer duds than previous set ups and have proved adept at moving them on, which is equally important.

In fact I find all that "faith" stuff about Robins a bit irritating. He's human, he'll make mistakes, and at some point in the future will no longer be the right man for the job. But right now, if he hasn't already, he is on his way to supassing JH as a City manager. Having faith means parking your critical facilities in a siding - always a bad move.

Johhny Blue

So you're suggesting that we may have put in the deal that if we were to be promoted and McCallum was going to be loaned out we could have first option and pay very little for him?

If that's the case then it makes a lot more sense.
We also built in a clause that he can play against Norwich.
(But he’s not allowed to score)

Skybluedownunder

It's more that many feel Mason is an adequate backup (although is better as a LB), plus he's our player. What happens if in Jan Norwich and Wolves both recall the loanees either because they're playing really well and want them back or because they're not getting the expected game time? We've either got Mason who would be nowhere near match fit or no-one if Mason is allowed to leave.

Seems like an odd choice for Norwich to send him out somewhere in the same division but not guaranteed game time other than to get us to pay part of his wages. But then why would we being paying part of his wages to not play him either? And if he does play the same questioned is then asked of Giles.

Would be harsh on Giles to lose the place at the moment.

I'm not a fan of being overly reliant on loans to cover a position. Just seems a slightly odd use of funds for me.

Newton and McGrath are both left backs. How would they then get game time in the development squad if Mason needs game time too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covcity4life

It is a reasonably educated guess though, don't you think? It is pretty clear getting a new LWB is not a top priority, there are bigger holes, and that having four loans is out of character for Robins. Norwich came knocking, and we thought "bargain".

No human outside your own family warrants an emotion as strong as 'faith' so no, you are right I do not have blind 'faith' in our recruitment team - who after all have had a few duds - Kastaneer, Vincenti, those two loans in League 2, JCH. I suspect Hissner is too. There will always be duds (it goes with the job) but they have had fewer duds than previous set ups and have proved adept at moving them on, which is equally important.

In fact I find all that "faith" stuff about Robins a bit irritating. He's human, he'll make mistakes, and at some point in the future will no longer be the right man for the job. But right now, if he hasn't already, he is on his way to supassing JH as a City manager. Having faith means parking your critical facilities in a siding - always a bad move.
We are not related so i will take your conspiracy theory with pinch of salt

covcity4life

But also even if true doesnt mean it's a hardly.made bad decision. Sometimes good opportunities come up and its smart to take them

What position other than DM is pressing more than LWB ere mason wasn't rly good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread