Sam mccallum (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

We won’t have made any guarantees ronins isn’t that way players earn the shirt they keep the shirt we know how mark ronins works by now

If that’s the case it’s not encouraging for the players future

steve101

Mixed feelings about this. I really like McCallum and he was a key component in promotion. He also has the advantage over Giles and Mason in that he is good in the air. Potentially he could provide cover for left CB role.
On the other side if Giles got injured I believe Mason is more than adequate cover. I don't get why people think he can't play wing-back. The defensive aspect of a wing-back role is just as important. He has a great engine and very good with the ball at his feet. The questionable part is the quality of his crossing, but as was seen v Gillingham he can deliver quality. Mason is still only young so will be able to develop.
Nevertheless Robins knows what he is doing so will have his reasons.

Grendel

So what about Giles ??

So that means we have to LWB both with guarantees to play ?

Giles wasn’t signed for a big fee and is just a development player at wolves and unlikely to break through whereas mccallum was signed for a fee and I assume had a hike in wages

Deity

What is it about competition for places that City fans don’t like or understand ?

Liverpool have just signed Jota. It’s not because Klopp doesn’t rate his current forwards.

football is a squad game, not a best 11 game.

I like Godden, and I’m hopeful over Walker but would take a better striker tomorrow ... it’s how you progress in a very competitive division with 3 matches a week.

SlowerThanPlatt

What is it about competition for places that City fans don’t like or understand ?

Liverpool have just signed Jota. It’s not because Klopp doesn’t rate his current forwards.

I like Godden, and I’m hopeful over Walker but would take a better striker tomorrow ... it’s how you progress in a very competitive division with 3 matches a week.

They’re not loan players

KenilworthSkyBlue

Mccallum is much better defensively, including defending corners. We need two players for the wing back positions as they're so important to the way we play. Horses for courses on who plays I suspect

I think you're right here. Against 'better' quality opposition where we're more likely to play on the back foot, personally I think it would be far more logical to field McCallum in the LWB position than Giles. Whereas against opponents where the game is likely to be more open, Giles would probably be the better option as he's obviously a threat going forward.

I think this could be a really shrewd move from Robins as it not only gives us strength in depth but it provides versatility to the LWB slot and allows him to adapt to the strengths/weaknesses of the opposition.

JulianDarbyFTW

At least Giles and McCallum both know how we play. It's the things like player movement that new recruits take time to learn, and Sam will already know most of that side of things.

It's a long season, with games packed in, so having a decent squad was always going to be a must. I have to say, I have no idea who gets the LWB shirt now, though. How do you keep two quality players, and their parent clubs, happy with only one shirt to play for?

cc84cov

Bottom line Robins and the club know what their doing I don’t see them paying a massive % of his wages or making any guarantees of coming in and taking Giles straight out of the side,

McCallum knows very well how Robins worked he kept Giles out of the team,

if anyone’s had guarantees about playing time it’s wolves over Giles as he came last season and didn’t get a look in the question would of been asked will that be the case again.

cc84cov

If anyone’s had guarantees it’s wolves of sending Giles back to sit on the bench with no look in like last year

Grendel

Looks like maybe Robin's is going full-on for promotion, never mind a season of consolidation. He's building a squad good enough to take on any side in this league.

Norwich clearly don’t think he’s good enough for a promotion chasing squad

it’s unlikely robins approached Norwich for whatever reason they have offered him back

RegTheDonk

All beyond me, I'll leave the formations, personnel and logic to MR, I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I'm just happy to see even though we've been given a bag of money for a player, he still sees a better opporunity to come back.

no_loyalty

Mason will be really pissed off, unless he already has a move lined up?

Deity

Anyone who has listened to the sky blue extra player interviews will know just what a tight group the players are.... McCallum was part of that last year .... another good reason to bring him back ... no risk to the dressing room harmony that is serving us so well.

Johnnythespider

I don't think anyone has a problem with competition for places, Norwich are in the same league as us, why is he not competing for a spot in their team ?
He's a good player and will improve our squad, but it does seem an odd move from the Norwich end.

Users who are viewing this thread