Sad To See Them Go (1 Viewer)

oakey

John Hartson.
I knew we were doomed once he was sold and I have never believed a word the club have said since.

Sick Boy

I wasn't that old but remember being gutted that we didn't sign up Chris Marsden. Anyone know the reason why we didn't? Think he ended up at Soton?

Longford

Look into the avatar not around the avatar but into the avatar.

Bobby McDonald.

LastGarrison

I wasn't that old but remember being gutted that we didn't sign up Chris Marsden. Anyone know the reason why we didn't? Think he ended up at Soton?

Sure it was a dodgy knee so we didn't sign him and he ended up going Southampton where he played a shed load of games!!!

He just oozed class when he was on loan with us.

vow

I think the reason was, City had him on loan for 2 months, we then decided to piss about and try and get him for a third month, instead of buying him, Wolves nipped in and bought him from Huddersfield......thats how I remember it anyhow.

I'll add him to my list of "sad to see to go" as i thought he knitted our midfield together quite nicely, freeing up Wegerle to do his stuff.

oscillatewildly

When I was a youngster, Terry Yorath's departure felt like a kick in the (pre-pubescent) nads. Mid teenage years and Danny Thomas leaving caused me to swear in a barely broken voice. (Lots of our promising young players left around this time) Latterly, Cedric Roussel being sold made me tut and shake my head in a now all too well practised manner.

skybluesam66

I think the reason was, City had him on loan for 2 months, we then decided to piss about and try and get him for a third month, instead of buying him, Wolves nipped in and bought him from Huddersfield......thats how I remember it anyhow.

I'll add him to my list of "sad to see to go" as i thought he knitted our midfield together quite nicely, freeing up Wegerle to do his stuff.

Marsden got kicked out of wolves for allegedly turning up at billy wrights funeral a little high!! - i think we let him go for the same reason

ccfc1234

1. Gary Thompson - battler with skill and desire
2. Hadji/Chippo - Just as they played and scored in my first game ever.
3. Cedric Rousell - Would be great for us now
4. Forgott - Was exciting and had a wand of a left foot sad he had to leave in the way he did.

Bernie Rhodes Nose

Stevie Hunt (my favourite Cov player ever), George Boetang (tapped up by Dublin) and Dion Dublin - Going to Villa.
Danny Thomas - but managed to get an England cap out of him.
Garry Thompson - Raw power.
Mark Hateley - but only because he went for peanuts (thanks to the FA).
Callum Davenport - This confirmed that Peter Reid and co had no ambition to get the club promoted.
Steve Froggat - I'm convince this was the game changer that led to our relegation. He was having a brilliant season.

Nick

Administrator
I don't think selling Davenport was such a bad shout, didn't he only play about 50 games in the time after he left us?

Seamus1

Obviously the sales of Dublin and Keane were sad, but they brought in good money and could understand from a financial point of view.

One player I was sad to see go, and I have mentioned him before, was Trond Egil Soltvedt. Always gave his everything for the club, even if not the most naturally gifted. I remember the CWR phone in on the night we sold him to Southampton (same day we sold Huckerby to Leeds): more people were phoning in upset at Trond going, particularly as it was for only £300,000.

Also, I think Aloisi would have scored for fun in our first season after relegation from the Prem, so was disappointed to see him go

Terry Gibson's perm

Obviously the sales of Dublin and Keane were sad, but they brought in good money and could understand from a financial point of view.

One player I was sad to see go, and I have mentioned him before, was Trond Egil Soltvedt. Always gave his everything for the club, even if not the most naturally gifted. I remember the CWR phone in on the night we sold him to Southampton (same day we sold Huckerby to Leeds): more people were phoning in upset at Trond going, particularly as it was for only £300,000.

Also, I think Aloisi would have scored for fun in our first season after relegation from the Prem, so was disappointed to see him go

Correct on Aloisi we could have got us straight back up.

W

westcountry_skyblue

When we sold Rosario,Micky Quinn was never the same player.
Great partnership especially over that Christmas period beating Liverpool and Villa !!!

Grendel

When we sold Rosario,Micky Quinn was never the same player.
Great partnership especially over that Christmas period beating Liverpool and Villa !!!

Selling Rosario? Christ that was a time to get the balloons out in celebration.

fernandopartridge

1. Gary Thompson - battler with skill and desire
2. Hadji/Chippo - Just as they played and scored in my first game ever.
3. Cedric Rousell - Would be great for us now
4. Forgott - Was exciting and had a wand of a left foot sad he had to leave in the way he did.
Presume you mean David Thompson not Garry.

vow

Marsden got kicked out of wolves for allegedly turning up at billy wrights funeral a little high!! - i think we let him go for the same reason

I remember hearing about the Billy Wright funeral highness too.

Gazolba

1. Terry Bly. He was a prolific goalscorer and there was enormous moaning when Jimmy Hill replaced him with George Hudson - who promptly scored a hat-trick on his debut so all was forgiven.
2. George Hudson. The player without whom we would never have been promoted from the third to first divisions. The best centre-forward we have ever had. Sold to Northampton when he was admittedly just past his best.
3. John Aloisi. A really good striker who we should have kept for much longer and who achieved great things for Australia after he left us.

phildownunder

1. Terry Bly. He was a prolific goalscorer and there was enormous moaning when Jimmy Hill replaced him with George Hudson - who promptly scored a hat-trick on his debut so all was forgiven.
2. George Hudson. The player without whom we would never have been promoted from the third to first divisions. The best centre-forward we have ever had. Sold to Northampton when he was admittedly just past his best.

Selling George Hudson when he did was a very astute piece of business by JH.

Gazolba

And who was that goalkeeper (John Filan?) who was the second choice for us, only played a few times, who was transferred to another Premiership team and played marvellously for years afterwards until I think he got injured.

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

Terry Butcher was a very poor manager for us (and most of his other clubs too). His decision to force Cyrille Regis out of the door was terrible. Cyrillic was probably playing the best football of his Coventry career at that stage. What Butcher was looking at when he saw Cyrille's performances is anyone's guess. Maybe he thought that because he was on the wrong side of 30 that he was on the slide. Cyrillic must have played on for another 8 or so years, at least 2 of those in the top flight. Rosario was always going to struggle to replace Regis.

Terry Gibson's perm

Terry Butcher was a very poor manager for us (and most of his other clubs too). His decision to force Cyrille Regis out of the door was terrible. Cyrillic was probably playing the best football of his Coventry career at that stage. What Butcher was looking at when he saw Cyrille's performances is anyone's guess. Maybe he thought that because he was on the wrong side of 30 that he was on the slide. Cyrillic must have played on for another 8 or so years, at least 2 of those in the top flight. Rosario was always going to struggle to replace Regis.

Regis and Peake were potential replacements for Butcher So he got rid of Regis not sure about Peake can't remember, Butcher was an appalling choice of manager.

Users who are viewing this thread