Ryan Howley (3 Viewers)

slowpoke

It is harder than people think. Howley looks to be an obvious candidate for a loan but imo way too early don’t think he has played a full first team game yet and only just 18 that’s young to think an inexperienced kid can just waltz into another club with a squad full of seasoned pros. Needs a season at least playing U/23s get onto our subs bench more often & on merit then perhaps a loan out. That would be better than being on the bench elsewhere.

KenilworthSkyBlue

And this is what, 17 years ago?! I wonder why so few of our young players have prospered while being sent out on loan. People on here always say that our young prospects desperately need a loan, but it’s almost always a death knell for their CCFC careers.

Adversely though, the standard of U23 is appalling.

So, in order for our young players to succeed, they need to take that next step in their professional development to enhance their experience - and a loan really is more or less the only option to achieve that if they're not getting sufficient minutes in the first team.

I fully agree though that there's a massive misconception amongst the fanbase regarding a loan being the answer every time, as it more often that not doesn't bring automatic success - but I think that's normal and if anything just highlights the gulf between U23 football and the mens game.

That being said I still stick by the loan system, it's flawed but I do believe it offers young players the best chance of furthering their game. It's certainly a far better option than leaving them in the U23s playing against guys who either won't play higher than the NL or will drop out of the game altogether in a few years.

shmmeee

Adversely though, the standard of U23 is appalling.

So, in order for our young players to succeed, they need to take that next step in their professional development to enhance their experience - and a loan really is more or less the only option to achieve that if they're not getting sufficient minutes in the first team.

I fully agree though that there's a massive misconception amongst the fanbase regarding a loan being the answer every time, as it more often that not doesn't bring automatic success - but I think that's normal and if anything just highlights the gulf between U23 football and the mens game.

That being said I still stick by the loan system, it's flawed but I do believe it offers young players the best chance of furthering their game. It's certainly a far better option than leaving them in the U23s playing against guys who either won't play higher than the NL or will drop out of the game altogether in a few years.

Its really just a shop window for those not up to scratch. I can’t think of a player that has broken into the first team that’s been loaned out first. Maddison wasn’t, Bayliss wasn’t, McCallum wasn’t. Wilson was but only because it looked like he wasn’t up to scratch at first.

Terry_dactyl

Its really just a shop window for those not up to scratch. I can’t think of a player that has broken into the first team that’s been loaned out first. Maddison wasn’t, Bayliss wasn’t, McCallum wasn’t. Wilson was but only because it looked like he wasn’t up to scratch at first.
Yeah, I’m struggling to think of anyone either from us…Eccles is about the only one. While he hasn’t had the chance to ‘kick on’ (I hate that expression) I genuinely think he’s going to be great for us.
I think generally for others it’s more than just a shop window. Over the years some great players have been loaned out before embarking on great careers. For example Those lads at Derby - mount, Abraham etc Beckham went to Preston. And I think Neymar had that season Rotherham…

KenilworthSkyBlue

Yeah there's that as well, but I do think it entirely depends on who's in front of them in the first team and where we are in the pyramid.

All the players you mentioned broke through whilst we were in L1/L2 - it's fairly obvious that it's far easier as a young player to break through in such leagues compared to the Championship.

You're probably far better off looking at players pre 2012 to see if any academy graduates that broke through who benefitted from a prior loan spell. I think Ben Turner may have been one but I'm stretching my memory.

Last edited:

Grendel

Burge is the last one I can remember

NorthernWisdom

Wilson was as much to man him up a bit wasn't it? He had a decent pedigree through the youth system, and our regular loan route was let the players be kicked around a lot in non league and see if they sank or swam.

slowpoke

The U/23s is the reserve team who play their games mid-week and I would think the whole of our first team squad have played in an U/23 team somewhere sometime, whilst making their way in the game. Don’t think it’s fair to say it is just a shop window for those not up to scratch it is part of the ladder.

shmmeee

The U/23s is the reserve team who play their games mid-week and I would think the whole of our first team squad have played in an U/23 team somewhere sometime, whilst making their way in the game.

OK, but I’m talking about loans?

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah there's that as well, but I do think it entirely depends on who's in front of them in the first team and where we are in the pyramid.

All the players you mentioned broke through whilst we were in L1/L2 - it's fairly obvious that it's far easier as a young player to break through in such leagues compared to the Championship.

You're probably far better off looking at players pre 2012 to see if any academy graduates that broke through who benefitted from a prior loan spell. I think Ben Turner may have been one but I'm stretching my memory.

Cyrus Christie

fernandopartridge

Ben Turner was
McSheffrey broke through to an extent but then was

larry_david

Like everything there will be success stories and there will be failures. The highly chased and much loved Scott Twine was loaned out last year from Swindon Town to Newport, and has gone from strength to strength. His previous loans were chippenham town scoring 4, waterford scoring 1, chippenham again scoring 6 and then they got it right at newport.

This is why I'm not writing Will Bapaga off, the lad is 19 and had a great start at Grimsby until it went wrong, coinciding with Grimsby being 7 points clear at the top to dropping out the play offs so clearly something was amiss with the team.

slowpoke

I think I am right we had four out on loan Bapaga, who is now back, Jack Burroughs, Danny Cashman and Declan Drysdale they have all huffed & puffed so let’s see if they have come through better for it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It is harder than people think. Howley looks to be an obvious candidate for a loan but imo way too early don’t think he has played a full first team game yet and only just 18 that’s young to think an inexperienced kid can just waltz into another club with a squad full of seasoned pros. Needs a season at least playing U/23s get onto our subs bench more often & on merit then perhaps a loan out. That would be better than being on the bench elsewhere.
Howley has been a U23 regular this season, so next step could be a half decent NL team to at least get him playing men's football.

mark82

Liam Walsh! Released by Bristol City, loaned out by Swansea, can’t get in Hull’s squad now either…

Real head scratcher that one. Looked way above league one level with us. Time lost through injury probably didn't help. He's one I'd still take a chance on turning round if he was a free transfer and minimal wage. At this stage couldn't bring him in as a starter though. In all honesty probably needs to drop back to league one to build himself back up.

better days

Real head scratcher that one. Looked way above league one level with us. Time lost through injury probably didn't help. He's one I'd still take a chance on turning round if he was a free transfer and minimal wage. At this stage couldn't bring him in as a starter though. In all honesty probably needs to drop back to league one to build himself back up.
He's got a 3 year contract with Swansea Mark

Users who are viewing this thread