Ryan Giles (1 Viewer)

fatso

Having lambasted people for constantly banging on about former players, it would now appear that Ryan Giles could be about to be released from Wolves on a free transfer!
The lad is still only 21, and has got to be worth a punt, even if only as a squad player.

Grendel

He’s contracted to 2025

lordy_87

Doubt it's true. Having your 5 year contract paid off wouldn't be too shabby mind.

Bugsy

SlowerThanPlatt

I have a subscription to the The Athletic but can’t see anything on there. Likely taken from Alan Nixon’s column in The Sun (or made up)

Bugsy

skylark37

From an Athletic article released today by Tim Spiers re: reshaping the squad..

"What about the budget? Net spend, as last year, is expected to be low. After successive summer net spends of close to £100 million in each of 2018 and 2019, last year saw Wolves sell Diogo Jota, Matt Doherty and Helder Costa for around £80 million. They spent around £80 million in return.

So if there are to be several additions this summer, who leaves to finance them?

Rafa Mir — with 13 goals, the joint-seventh top scorer in La Liga for relegation candidates Huesca — is a likely source of funds given that the returning Raul Jimenez and Fabio Silva (joint cost, £67 million) are ahead of him in the pecking order.

Patrick Cutrone, Bruno Jordao, Ruben Vinagre, Ryan Giles, Leo Campana and Connor Ronan have all spent the season out on loan and would appear to be surplus to requirements. Certainly a few million there."

Perhaps he's made a mistake and doesn't know Giles has signed a contract?

Frostie

Think there's a bit of crossed wires, they might be willing to sell him (especially as they're starting to move away from wing-backs) but they're not about to pay up a 5 year contract only signed 6 months ago. The Athletic article doesn't say that at all as it talks about recouping funds:

Patrick Cutrone, Bruno Jordao, Ruben Vinagre, Ryan Giles, Leo Campana and Connor Ronan have all spent the season out on loan and would appear to be surplus to requirements. Certainly a few million there.

Last edited:

better days

It's a non story really once you read the artile
I was pretty surprised when Giles was given a 5 year deal as many in the game thought he was a one trick pony who showed little inclination to develop his game
Essentially he's very easy to play against if the opponents have done their homework
But teams can't just release players who are still within contract unless they come to a negotiated settlement

SlowerThanPlatt

It's a non story really once you read the artile
I was pretty surprised when Giles was given a 5 year deal as many in the game thought he was a one trick pony who showed little inclination to develop his game
Essentially he's very easy to play against if the opponents have done their homework
But teams can't just release players who are still within contract unless they come to a negotiated settlement

I think it’s a case of the finances of a Premier League club rather than his ability tbh. They can afford to give anyone with a chance 4 or 5 years

skylark37

I think it’s a case of the finances of a Premier League club rather than his ability tbh. They can afford to give anyone with a chance 4 or 5 years

True - I think his potential is certainly a factor though and given the way lots of teams set up, a wing back who can attack and has good height would command a decent fee in say 3 years time if he can develop into a solid championship player.
Robins also tried him in a more central attacking midfield role didn't he so he could also become quite versatile.

stay_up_skyblues

I’d be fairly unimpressed with his signing. He had a couple of good runs and crosses but was largely ineffective when he played and can’t defend. He may improve but having seen him would rather we focussed on bringing on the lad from Scotland and sign a first team LB/LWB.

Happy_Martian

I raised this very question a month or so ago and the comments made were emphatically "No". Seems to be a mixed batch now though 🤔

Greggs

i think it's inevitable he hasn't got much of a shot as a premier/championship player. Not good enough defensively to be a defender and not good enough offensively to be an attacker. Will end up moving back to the family farm i guess.

wingy

i think it's inevitable he hasn't got much of a shot as a premier/championship player. Not good enough defensively to be a defender and not good enough offensively to be an attacker. Will end up moving back to the family farm i guess.
Farmings on its arse mate.

Users who are viewing this thread