Running (4 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely 4 mile run first thing this morning most enjoyable

Sky_Blue_Daz

Through my estate , out the bottom of coundon park down past the nugget and up Norman place road onto keresley road and home

Travs

Hill reps last night alongside the A45, from down towards Canley Fire Station, up onto the train bridge at Costco.

Foul night, got soaked, but at least it was warm.

Tomorrow is the Midland Cross Country Relay Champs, next to the Wolves Academy.

Due to the proportion of over-35's available for this one, we would have a good chance of getting a medal (at least) in the Masters race if we put our strongest four out (of which i'd not be a part). However i think we are going for the strongest possible Senior team, leaving me to slot in running the opening leg for the Masters.

Hopefully see a few of the other Cov teams over there.

Travs

Midlands cross country relays today in Wolverhampton.

Good run for me.... 22:14 for 6km across the grass and a bit of mud. Although it was a couple of hundred metres short of the advertised 6km.

Good to see teams there from Nuneaton, Northbrook, Massey and Sphinx.

Godiva first team were 9th, and my veterans team were 7th (both teams a little understrength.... had we put all our eggs in the veterans basket we would've had a medal team... however our fastest over-35's were needed in the first team today).

Nuneaton ladies had a great day, winning gold medal, pulling themselves from 3rd/4th at the start of the anchor leg, to win with style... the poor girl who had a huge lead for Tipton Harriers couldn't hold the pace and dropped out of the medals to 4th.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got a nice 3.5 Mile run done , the wife has the half marathon on Sunday bless her due to work and family illness she has t done as much training as she would . She’s up to 8 miles and said she’s struggling

speedie87

What are people running shoes of choice these days?

i used to be a addidas Boston man went through about 8 pairs up to the Boston 8 ,but not a fan of latest ones.

Got fairly narrow feet so been eyeing up some narrow width new balance 880’s, but price bit off putting

fernandopartridge

i used to be a addidas Boston man went through about 8 pairs up to the Boston 8 ,but not a fan of latest ones.

Got fairly narrow feet so been eyeing up some narrow width new balance 880’s, but price bit off putting
Bought some hoka earlier this year and they're easily the best I've had

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

I’ve got the Hokas with the massive soles; worth every €€.

Last edited:

speedie87

Never heard of them tell about an hour ago but saw the hoka Mach 5 was best rated allrounder for 2023.

would you say they fit snug or quite wide?

Travs

Hoka's are decent but i think you either love 'em or hate 'em.

I personally think technology has moved on a bit and you can get equally comfortable shoes that are much less chunky. But there's no denying they are comfortable.

If you just want something basic then Nike Pegasus are the staple for loads of runners.... you can get the previous season model in your local Nike Outlet (Resorts World?) for well below the RRP as well.

Sick Boy

Never heard of them tell about an hour ago but saw the hoka Mach 5 was best rated allrounder for 2023.

would you say they fit snug or quite wide?
They have both varieties, I have wider feet so get a wide fit. They’ve got an online measuring thing you can do with a piece of paper and your phone’s camera, it was spot on for me.

Travs

Mile reps with Godiva last night in the Warwick Uni campus.

5 miles, 1,3,5 ran hard, 2 & 4 ran a bit easier.

Hard miles
5:43
5:49
5:49

Easy miles both 7:10

Surprising how much more difficult the session is when you speed up those easy miles a little. Last time i did this session i did the easy miles in well over 8mins, and my fast miles were over 20secs quicker.

A bumper session, 12 miles in total.

Hill reps thursday, then Parkrun followed by more hill reps on saturday morning in the Memorial Park. A tough week.

SkyBlueSoul

Whatever you decide I'd recommend having a look on www.sportpursuit.com , easily the best discount site I've used. It's all just last season's kit, nothing wrong with it other than it's not always available in every size. They do a variety of sports and general clothing as well.

You need an account but it's free.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did a 10k this morning and have decided to do the cov half marathon next year

Sky_Blue_Daz

Good luck to anyone doing the half marathon tomorrow , my wife’s doing it and raising money for Myton hospice . She’s collected over £700. I’m a bit worried for her though as she’s only managed about 8 miles

Travs

I'll be out on the course tomorrow, probably Holyhead Rd and then Tamworth Rd, supporting a few clubmates. One, who won the Northbrook 10km, might have a shout of winning tomorrow.

Cov Parkrun this morning in 18:50, followed by 8 x 150mtr hill sprints... a very tough end to a hard week.

skyblue1991

I went for a gait analysis at Cov Runner a few weeks ago and they recommended ASICS Gel-pulse 13 which are spot on to my running style and budget!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Travs

Admittedly i haven't poked my head out the door yet, but looks alright at the moment.

Will be heading out in half hour, down towards Holyhead Rd.

Travs

Nice one.

I was out on the course at Holyhead Rd and then Tamworth Rd. Nice day for it.

Never ceases to amaze me what dickheads a lot of Cov public can be... there's been signs up all over town about the road closures, yet still a lot of people think they can ignore it and drive down closed roads, then kick off with charity workers/volunteers when they inevitably get stuck.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Nice one.

I was out on the course at Holyhead Rd and then Tamworth Rd. Nice day for it.

Never ceases to amaze me what dickheads a lot of Cov public can be... there's been signs up all over town about the road closures, yet still a lot of people think they can ignore it and drive down closed roads, then kick off with charity workers/volunteers when they inevitably get stuck.
Was this on the Tamworth road by Any chance ?

Last edited:

Travs

Was this on the Tamworth road by Any chance ?

I saw numerous incidences of it, all down Moseley Avenue and Holyhead Road. But yes the most numerous were at the junction of Long Lane and Tamworth Road, including a minor altercation with a guy who got out of his car to have a go at some poor volunteer.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did a 10k this morning Bennets road, fivefield,rd, hollyfast past the white lion up brownshill through copthorne and up the keresley road

Sick Boy

Got my first half coming up in just over 2 weeks but been out of action for a few weeks after having 6 stitches in my back for a mole removal. Would be happy with a 2 hour finish all things considered.

Sick Boy

Got my first half coming up in just over 2 weeks but been out of action for a few weeks after having 6 stitches in my back for a mole removal. Would be happy with a 2 hour finish all things considered.
Having to wait another half a week to get stitches out, so it’ll be just over 3 weeks since I last ran with the half being on the 19th. Anyone got any advice on what sort of distances I should be doing between then and the day and how often?

Travs

With the best will in the world, you're not going to dramatically increase your fitness/endurance in two weeks....

I'd just get back out used to having time on your feet... wouldn't do any distances that are going to take you overly long to recover from (you'll know better than anyone else what kind of distance that is for you)

Sick Boy

With the best will in the world, you're not going to dramatically increase your fitness/endurance in two weeks....

I'd just get back out used to having time on your feet... wouldn't do any distances that are going to take you overly long to recover from (you'll know better than anyone else what kind of distance that is for you)
Cheers. At this stage am just aiming to finish now. I did a half 2 weekends in a row about a month ago, so hoping it’ll be fine on the day.

Travs

Nice.

I've done 5:18 on the flat.... although that was part of a session with multiple reps. Based on my 1500mtr pb (4:45) i reckon i'd be 5mins - 5:05 on a track mile race.

We had a group run last night in the wind and rain. Starting at Warwick Uni, up the hill to Gibett Hill Rd, up Kenilworth Rd, across the A45, down Beechwood Ave into Earlsdon, then cutting back down Bates Rd, across the A45 at the Phantom Coach and back to the Uni past the Crem.

Was supposed to be an easy run, but as with most group runs of this nature, pace kept increasing and after a couple of miles it was quite quick going.... averaged about 4:30/km, but bearing in mind the first 3km were around 5:20/km pace, we definitely sped up in the 2nd half.

bezzer

A pretty tough Herne Bay/Whitstable 10K on Saturday. Heavy rain and wind gusting up to 37mph.
Didn't do sub 55 which was disappointing. Crossed the line in a smidge over 57 minutes.
Alton Towers 10K this Saturday. Hopefully better conditions!

Users who are viewing this thread