Running (7 Viewers)

Sick Boy

I went on at the doctor so much that they ended up agreeing to me going out running, did a total of 28km over the weekend, so feeling more confident now about the half.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I've spoken to a few people who did the cov half and they all complained where the finish line was. I did 6 miles on Monday evening and still a bit stiff and sore round my ankle, this time of year doesn't help either

Travs

My big 10 mile race next sunday in Carlisle... one of the fastest (and actually the oldest) 10 Milers in the UK.

Hoping to go as close as possible to 62mins. Below 62 would be a dream and i doubt possible, but above 63 i'd be a bit unhappy with.

Although being a linear course, conditions on the day can have an effect.

Travs

Tuesday night was 2 mile reps on the perimeter roads round the outside of the Memorial Park. Was pretty slippy going down Coat Of Arms Bridge Road in the dark with all the fallen leaves.

But managed 12:16 and 12:22 for the two reps (actually they are more like 2.1 mile, so just crept under 6min/mile pace on a lap that is by no means flat).

Tonight we're hill repping next to the A45 from the Fire Station up to Costco. Only 5 for me, with extended recovery time.... last bit of prep before sunday's race.

Sick Boy

In the latest setback, I am just getting over a fever ahead of the half on Sunday. At this point, I will just be happy to finish it now.

Travs

Good luck.

My 10 miler on sunday (Brampton-Carlisle).

Had my last bit of training last night.... 5 x 350mtr hills up the side of the A45 near to Costco.

14 weeks hard work done now. First time i've ever trained in earnest for a non-fell race. Hopefully a pb on the cards.

Sick Boy

Good luck.

My 10 miler on sunday (Brampton-Carlisle).

Had my last bit of training last night.... 5 x 350mtr hills up the side of the A45 near to Costco.

14 weeks hard work done now. First time i've ever trained in earnest for a non-fell race. Hopefully a pb on the cards.
Sorry, missed this. Hope your race went well. I managed the half in just over 2 hours, which I’m very happy about for a first attempt and all the other stuff going on over the last month.

Travs

Nice one.

I managed 62:40 which was mission accomplished. I knew with the training behind me i was probably capable of running in the 62's.

Slight twinge of disappointment as i was well under 62min pace at halfway, but there was a pretty ferocious headwind all the way (it was a linear race)

Also smashed my 10km pb into a cocked hat during the race as well (went through 10km in 38.07)

DawlishSkyBlue

Nice one.

I managed 62:40 which was mission accomplished. I knew with the training behind me i was probably capable of running in the 62's.

Slight twinge of disappointment as i was well under 62min pace at halfway, but there was a pretty ferocious headwind all the way (it was a linear race)

Also smashed my 10km pb into a cocked hat during the race as well (went through 10km in 38.07)
Good effort that

DawlishSkyBlue

4th at Teignmouth Parkrun this morning (20.42). The course is normally on the Prom which is pancake flat and fast but due to storm repair work on the seafront taking place they switched it to the alternate route in a nearby park.. which has 580 foot elevation in a 5k run !

wingy

4th at Teignmouth Parkrun this morning (20.42). The course is normally on the Prom which is pancake flat and fast but due to storm repair work on the seafront taking place they switched it to the alternate route in a nearby park.. which has 580 foot elevation in a 5k run !
Yeah but about the wind assistance?

DawlishSkyBlue

Anyone booked in to do any races in the near future? I haven't been in a race since London Marathon in April but have signed up for a 10k in January

Travs

We had our 2nd cross country league fixture yesterday next Wolves academy/training ground.

XC season is in full swing..... county champs in a fortnight (i managed a bronze in the masters team last year, hope to improve on that this year)

Couple of short fell races over xmas (one on boxing day one NYE).

Then Jan/Feb is cross country league fixtures, midlands champs and national champs. Then back onto the fells.....

April, GB trial for European uphill champs (i've got zero chance but it'll be good experience).
June, Snowdon uphill
July, another uphill race
September - the big one - world masters mountain running champs, uphill race in the Pyrenees - everything is really leading up to this, and i'm training towards it already.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Haven't done any running for the last 2 weeks so am planning a 4 mile one tonight to dust off the cobwebs

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely run this evening from the Wallace up towards st Thomas church left down there past keresley grange down past coundon court all the way hollyfast road onto barker butts lane and left to Mosley avenue up the Radford road to the keresley road . Not sure how far it was but it was nice

Travs

2km reps last night.

Starting on Cannon Hill Road, opposite the back/side entrance into the crem, all the way along to Cannon Park Road, left onto the A45 and finishing back up by the Phantom Coach.

Actually its about 80-100mtrs longer than 2km, and a tricky one to pace well, as its downhill for the first half mile, than uphill all the way back up Cannon park and the Fletch.

7:35
7:26

We are set off according to pace, so the slower guys went off 20secs before us, and the fastest guys 20secs behind us, which leads to some interesting racing in the middle part of the rep as everyone is passing each other and trying to get a "tow" off the guys coming past them.

9.5 miles for the session.

Track 400mtr reps on thursday night.

Travs

We were on the Godiva track at the Univ Of Warwick last night.

A real toughie.... 12 x 400mtrs with 1 minute rests.

Was set a target by the coach of 75secs (which i thought was unachievable to be honest).

Started with a lacklustre 81, then sped up to 78, then it was 77's and 76's all the way. A real hard session, towards the end, one minute isn't much to recover between reps.

Really pleased.... due to a combination of an extended work meeting, crap weather and feeling sore from the last week, i really wasn't very enthused about the session... but ended up being one of my best sessions of the year.

Racing on the fells next tuesday night... a short 4km up and down from Church Stretton in Shropshire. Hope to be amongst the leaders on the way up, and just hold on and see what i can do on the way down.

Great_Expectations

Has anyone ran any European marathons (or half). Keen to do one next year. Been looking at the Amsterdam marathon this afternoon.

Got London in four months and started to slowly get into it again. Planning to give up the booze and shit diet in Jan for a few months too (with a few exceptions like birthdays/holidays). It’s going to be really tough as I enjoy a social which inevitably involves a beer or two! However I’m also sort of looking forward to seeing what, if any, difference it makes fitness and physique wise.

Sick Boy

Has anyone ran any European marathons (or half). Keen to do one next year. Been looking at the Amsterdam marathon this afternoon.

Got London in four months and started to slowly get into it again. Planning to give up the booze and shit diet in Jan for a few months too (with a few exceptions like birthdays/holidays). It’s going to be really tough as I enjoy a social which inevitably involves a beer or two! However I’m also sort of looking forward to seeing what, if any, difference it makes fitness and physique wise.
There’s a marathon and a half around Lake Garda in April, considering the half.

Great_Expectations

There’s a marathon and a half around Lake Garda in April, considering the half.

That looks incredible! I might be away that weekend, but if not I definitely fancy it.

Travs

Raced on the fells last night in Shropshire.

Weather was absolutely shocking, meaning my headtorch basically just reflected the rain/sleet/mist/my own cold breath, straight back into my face.

Although the course was marked with luminous sticks, lost the way a couple of times on the way up. Reach the summit somewhere between 5th-7th, it was hard to tell. As expected lost a couple of places on the way down, but once back in the valley my flat work of late came to the fore, and although was under heavy pressure from behind, held them off to finish 9th.

Hard to tell what to take from it really... i was at the sharp end on the way up which is what i wanted... however it felt more difficult than i'd have liked.... that said, it was awful underfoot, just running at all was difficult at times, and the visibility just made everything difficult, so perhaps i'm being a little harsh on myself.

If anything its a good reminder that i'm going to have to work damn hard to be in shape for the world masters next year, which has a course profile average gradient of around 16% for 4 miles.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got a 5 mile one done today going to try a bit further on Friday

Travs

Warwickshire Cross Country Champs today in Smethwick.

Smethwick clearly not part of Warwickshire now, but for athletics purposes, Warwickshire is the "old" county, with large parts of Birmingham included.

Last year we won the men's gold team and i nabbed a bronze in the master's team (over 35).

Hopefully similar results this year.... not sure the men are favourites, with BRAT (B'ham Running & Triathlon) appearing to be the strongest team in the area at the moment, and Birchfield always strong.... in the masters i'm tipping us for a silver (Royal Sutton Coldfield my tip for the gold) assuming everyone turns up and runs well.... of more concern to me is actually getting in a team medal position (ie the top 4 masters runners in the club), which will be easier said than done if everyone turns up.

Hopefully see the other Cov clubs turning up in numbers, and Nuneaton as well (Nuneaton have one of the strongest women's teams in the mIdlands at the moment, and a decent masters team). Its only a couple of years since Masseys picked up a medal, although i don't see that happening today.

Travs

Lovely day (if a bit windy) at the county champs yesterday.

Good day for Godiva.... In the ladies race, we took gold and silver, but Nuneaton Harriers really performed well, and we only beat them to the team gold by a single point.

In the mens, we were edged out by the mighty Birchfield Harriers and had to settle for silver. In the masters i was 3rd counter in our team and picked up a bronze team medal for the bookshelf, beaten by Royal Sutton Coldfield (gold) and BRAT (silver).

37.16 for what was supposedly 10km, although it was at least 700metres short. I reckon i was bang on 40minute/10km pace, which considering the terrain, underfoot conditions and hills, i was reasonably pleased with.

Sky_Blue_Daz

So I got drunk on Christmas night and said I'd do the Cov half marathon thinking I would have up to October to prepare, turns out is in April and my cousins wants to do the brussels half marathon in September so I said I would do that as well. I did a 6 mile run on friday so think if I can slowly add a mile every week or so I can do it

Travs

Yes i noticed the Cov Half reverting back to what i think is its original time of year.

My next road outing (aside from the Midlands/National Road Relays which i do for the club), is likely to be the Ribble Valley 10km, which will be this time next year. One of the quickest 10km's in the country. And a good time of year for me.... will come off the World Masters in mid-September then have until end of December to work on the flat speed.

Travs

Club night last night in the deserted, wet and windy Warwick Uni Campus.

A continuous hill session of 4 miles. There were only two of us last night, and the other guy is a regular inter-counties runner for Warwickshire, and won the xmas day parkrun, so it was a pretty lonely session for me as i soon fell behind.

Starting in the campus, up the relatively steep cycle pathway to the medical school, out onto Gibbet Hill Road, back downhill towards the main campus, across a carpark and back to the start point. Thats a mile loop (give or take).

Went through 5km in 19:12.... although the 5km point actually came on the steepest part of the hill on the final lap, which pushed my average pace for it down a little!

Finished the four miles with an average pace of 3:50/km.

If you want to know what it takes to regularly win Cov Parkrun and represent the county at XC.... my training partner did 5 laps (miles) at an average pace of 3:29/km

A big day.... 6 miles AM, and 11 miles for the session.

Sunday have a rather unique fell race which starts on the summit of a mountain (Moel Famau), and is 2.1 miles straight downhill to finish in the pub garden at the bottom.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Half marathon training starts tomorrow, beer is getting knocked on the head the week after and trying to eat a bit healthier too,

Skybluefaz

Managed to get my 5k down to 29:08 last year in the end.

Resumed half marathon training for Draycote water in March this morning, Garmin coach wants me to run far slower to meet my 2 hour 30 targeted finish time.

Did a nice comfortable Parkrun this morning at about 10:45/mile. I should have been going around 12 minutes per mile though.

Feel like I'll have to run/walk it to hit that cos I didn't feel like I could jog much slower comfortably.

Sick Boy

Got another half marathon next month after doing one in November. Unfortunately not been able to run more than twice since then because of hamstring and shin splints and feel wiped out from getting Covid recently. At the point it’ll be good to do it in 2 hours again.

Users who are viewing this thread