Running (7 Viewers)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Start slow, don’t put any pressure or expectation on yourself and within a couple of weeks you’ll see an improvement and at that point you can start setting some goals.

Also vary your routes, it’s the only thing that keeps me going. I constantly try to find new areas to explore and include, even if it’s just a new cut through behind streets or something that silly and simple. Couldn’t do the same route/routes repeatedly, it would bore me to death.

Travs can probably give you some specific/proper advice re training, but hopefully this helps!

Thanks! Will report back depending on how it goes.

Travs

Yeah i'd just run steadily for as many weeks as you can bear it it, before setting any goals re speed/time. It will be of massive benefit in the long run (sorry for the pun).

I always say, until someone is capable of running say 4 times a week for a fair distance (say 10km), you will gain more benefit from just increasing your time on feet until you hit that level. Then its worth thinking about putting some different sessions in.

SBAndy

Not really run I a year or two but I want to start again. Any advice?

Do a lot of weights but my cardio is nonexistent l.

I’ve been through exactly this fairly recently (hadn’t run at all until last April) and my advice would be just to take your time and set small incremental goals. Literally, my first goal was to be able to run round my block (just shy of a mile in distance) without stopping. Took me about 2 weeks to manage, but then the base level of fitness was starting to build.

Also don’t overdo it as a beginner. Again, I was running 3 times a week (Mon/Weds/Fri) and started off doing a lap of the block each of those days. Over time, as your legs and lungs get more used to it, it’s worthwhile adding distance slowly - back to my example, that was one lap on Mon/Weds and two laps on Fri; then two laps on Mon/Fri and one on Weds. There’s no rush and it’s really important to not stress your joints too much too soon.

Rich

Trying to up my game. Went out and did 1000,800,400,1000,800,400 in the midday sun today. Very hard, very hot and relatively fast. Just over 5k in 22:40 but total time was 44. Warmup of half a mile was included in that at 5:30/km. I want to start seeing more in the 3:40-4:00/km when I’m repping so that I can translate to my 5k.
Currently around 25 for a 5k and I’d like to get back down to my pb of 21:30.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I’ve been through exactly this fairly recently (hadn’t run at all until last April) and my advice would be just to take your time and set small incremental goals. Literally, my first goal was to be able to run round my block (just shy of a mile in distance) without stopping. Took me about 2 weeks to manage, but then the base level of fitness was starting to build.

Also don’t overdo it as a beginner. Again, I was running 3 times a week (Mon/Weds/Fri) and started off doing a lap of the block each of those days. Over time, as your legs and lungs get more used to it, it’s worthwhile adding distance slowly - back to my example, that was one lap on Mon/Weds and two laps on Fri; then two laps on Mon/Fri and one on Weds. There’s no rush and it’s really important to not stress your joints too much too soon.

I didn't run today, but I did cycle 25 miles to the coast. I honestly feel incredible this evening after that.

Will try and run this week and will take yours and other posters advices.

SkyBlueSoul

5k yesterday in 23:30, for some reason I really enjoy running in the heat. Determined to get my times back down to pre-covid levels and eventually go sub-20. Need to be disciplined and force myself to do some interval training.

Played 5-a-side Monday night and got a 7s game tonight, feel like I've got my motivation back.

Travs

Nuneaton 10km on sunday. After last weekend's exertions on the fells i've been very tired this week. Attempted a bit of an interval session last night which didn't really go very well. So another easy day today (4 miles AM, 5 miles PM), and a couple of 3 or 4 mile runs tomorrow, should see me fresh on the start line.

Set a target of 38mins which is certainly achievable if i'd been training for a flat 10km... whether i'll manage it off the back of more specific fell training i'm not sure... i should still be capable.

Great_Expectations

Nuneaton 10km on sunday. After last weekend's exertions on the fells i've been very tired this week. Attempted a bit of an interval session last night which didn't really go very well. So another easy day today (4 miles AM, 5 miles PM), and a couple of 3 or 4 mile runs tomorrow, should see me fresh on the start line.

Set a target of 38mins which is certainly achievable if i'd been training for a flat 10km... whether i'll manage it off the back of more specific fell training i'm not sure... i should still be capable.

I’m also doing the Nuneaton 10k, my prep hasn’t been ideal this week similar to you I’m paying for a few longer weekend runs.

And I also imagine, especially if aiming for 38 minutes, you won’t be hungover on the start line like I likely will!

Rich

I’m doing Nuneaton on Sunday too. Hoping to sneak under 50. I’m carrying some weight at the minute so I’d be more than happy with that.

SBAndy

Managed to bruise my Achilles somehow and it’s quite the irritant when running. Trying to ease myself back in after a fair few lazy weeks and it’s been a challenge.

Travs

I’ll be in the Northbrook top as ever. Are you the fella that looked at me at Parkrun the other week but wasn’t 100% sure 🤣

:D

Yes i'm pretty sure that was me... i recall standing near the start having a look round to see if i recognised anyone, and yes i think there was someone in a Northbrook top!

Sky_Blue_Daz

I can’t set foot out the door till next Friday , that first run is going to be horrible

Travs

Hope everyone enjoyed Nuneaton this morning.

I had a bad day at the office. Very inconsistent. felt short of leg speed, and managed 39:00....... still it was my first road 10km for the best part of a decade, and i'd sooner have an off-day today than in the English Fell Champs next weekend.

Nice course, felt fast... just couldn't take advantage of it today!!

Rich

I struggled. Ran well for 4km and then blew up. You can see it in my heart rate. Not sure what happened but it just suddenly became tough. 51:46 really disappointed as I was hoping for sub 50. In my defence, I had about ten beers last night, an Indian that gave me the squits and lacked enough sleep. Hoping that would’ve hindered me and would explain my struggles. 9DE4B6A6-71EA-42F9-BB11-2AF646D2646C.jpeg

Sky_Blue_Daz

My self isolation finishes midnight Friday , get the first run out of the way Saturday morning

Sick Boy

Back on it today with 14k up a trail up towards the mountains to the north of Verona through an organic vineyard - great way to start the day.

fernandopartridge

Started going out again after a hiatus whilst doing keto. As both me and the missus work from home we're going out together at lunchtime.
Pace is slower than I'd usually go but better to get out than not at all.

SkyBlueSoul

First bleep test post-covid this afternoon, think my last one was in May. Played 7-a-side last night so thought my legs might be a bit heavy but got a PB of Level 11:9*. Edging closer to the initial goal of level 12.

*actual PB is 13:5 but that was when I was in school and hadn't discovered alcohol or cigarettes yet so I don't count it 😂

Rich

Somehow found myself signed up to the Regency 10k on Sunday. I’m enjoying these local 10ks at the moment

Travs

Good luck Rich....

Great Expectations hasn't reported on his Nuneaton 10k, i think he said he was expecting to run with a raging hangover... i hope he wasn't the guy who crashed into the bollards 30 yards in....!

I've got the English Champs fell race this sunday over in Stretton.... 14 miles 4000+ft

Rich

Good luck Rich....

Great Expectations hasn't reported on his Nuneaton 10k, i think he said he was expecting to run with a raging hangover... i hope he wasn't the guy who crashed into the bollards 30 yards in....!

I've got the English Champs fell race this sunday over in Stretton.... 14 miles 4000+ft
I couldn’t believe that. Poor guy, absolute shambles at the start, there was no safety brief in the car park and why wasn’t there a marked start line or a Marshall on those bollards? Ridiculous.

Travs

To be honest, as i would do in most races, i'd had a look round at the start and saw the hazard... also i started in the front couple of rows, so had a clear view...

But there were a lot of inexperienced runners who wouldn't have taken a look at any issues, and i could imagine being in the middle of the start pack you wouldn't see the bollard until you were right on it.

There should have been a marked start line definitely.

Rich

Regency 10k was eventfulset out for a steady 10k today. I was aiming for 55minutes.
Got a leg spasm after a couple of km so had to walk for a while as that calmed down.
Then thought I was going to have to dnf due to a dodgy tum. Luckily there were some portaloos at 6km. Thank the lord.
1:00:15 with at least 5minutes walking and 3+ minutes in the loo.

The torrential rain at the start prevented me from having a warmup. If I had the leg would’ve been fine during the run.

Travs

Myself and a couple of other Godiva Harriers raced at the English Fell Champs in Shropshire today... 14.3 miles and 4150ft of climb/descent... course really suited me as whilst it was very tough, it was relatively un-technical... so i was able to push really hard on the long uphill sections and didn't lose too much time coming back down like i usually do...

2hrs20.... a pb by 10 mins, and a huge pb in terms of a champs race placing... 52nd...

Other Godiva runners were 31st and 100th, so three runners in the top 100 is not bad going for a non fell area! (although i was representing my Cumbrian club today.... and the two runners in Godiva vests were from New Zealand and the Lake District....!!))

Great_Expectations

Good luck Rich....

Apologies - kept meaning to check in! I felt fairly rough Sunday morning and had an early start with the kids, but got round in 41.

The ending fooled me - I thought I’d go for a quicker finished around the track, not realising it was two laps!!

Great_Expectations

Away this weekend on the Yorkshire coast and fancied a few morning coastal runs, however it all went wrong!

Realised I’d forgotten my shorts, so I had to run in my flamingo patterned swimming trunks, carrying my phone as I’d also forgotten my flip belt.

Got lost along the bridal paths in the woods along the beach and nearly ended up running of a cliff, twice!

Ran for just over 30 minutes and only just made 3 miles, very stop/start continuously checking the map on my phone, and the route was ridiculously hilly too!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Didn’t do 5 miles but changed a route and did another 4 , was a nice time to get out

Travs

Club session with Godiva tonight. 4 x 5 minute hill efforts on the grass.

Still feeling stiff and sore from the wwekend, i intended to keep everything steady, and took the first rep at around 4:00/km pace. This loosened me up and on 2nd rep went 3:53/km.

Getting into stride now, the final two reps were 3:50/km and 3:37/km respectively.

Now taking it very easy for the rest of the week, with an absolute monster of a fell race on saturday in Snowdonia at 18 miles and 8000ft of climb, including Snowdon, Lliwedd, Glyder Fawr, YGarn and much else.

Users who are viewing this thread