Running (4 Viewers)

SkyBlueSoul

Cheers mate. Today was definitely about seeing where I was rather than starting back in earnest, gonna hold off playing footie too

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got 5miles done in 49 minutes and 25 seconds . Happy with that

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had an enjoyable 4 mile run just before it lashed down

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Was running 100 mile months January - March, had a little ‘un at the end of March and although I’ve been getting out when I can nowhere near as much as I’d like. Got my minute per KM down to an average of 4.30 by March with the fastest runs being sub 4.20. I’m trying to do another 100 mile month in July but by god my fitness has dropped. Struggling to finish a 5km in 4.55p/km times and twice have gone out at what I feel is a slowish pace of 4.45 per km and had to walk. Really depressing. She’s worth it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

It’s up to 28c by 7am at the moment so not ran for a couple of months - any tips for running in that sort of heat? Used to do a fair bit of running for boxing back in the day but never in that sort of heat.

CrawleySkyBlue

It’s up to 28c by 7am at the moment so not ran for a couple of months - any tips for running in that sort of heat? Used to do a fair bit of running for boxing back in the day but never in that sort of heat.

Wake up at 6am instead of 7? But in all seriousness, the only thing i'd recommend for running in the heat (also applicable for all running) is to build up consistency to get a base level of stamina before pushing harder.

If you are at the stage where you're doing harder running sessions, I'd tend to take a little distance off in the heat, so i'd do 8 reps of 500m instead of 6 reps of 800m etc, alternatively leave a larger rest period between each rep.

Good luck!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did 3.5 miles between the rain, thunder and lightening

Rich

Back at Beduth parkrun last week. So good to have it back. I've ran the route a few times over lockdown and it was really tough. I took it steady this week and it seemed to breeze by. Really was great to get back to it.

Rich

Well started on 42 2 weeks ago. Just try to be faster every time be it 10 secs or 1 minute etc

If I am on for a slow time I increase distance by half a mile to improve in distance at least
If you want to run 5k you should train at a longer distance but slower. Gives you some stamina.

Should also run shorter distances but quicker, gives you pace.

Combine the pace and stamina then you get a fast 5K :cool:

covcity4life

If you want to run 5k you should train at a longer distance but slower. Gives you some stamina.

Should also run shorter distances but quicker, gives you pace.

Combine the pace and stamina then you get a fast 5K :cool:
Will try that. Might add sprints to Help with 5 a side football too

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got another 5 miles done , if I gave up beer and snacks I’d be in decent shape

Travs

Hello all... yes as suspected i've been busy up in the Lake District. Plenty of hill training and racing. Got a few decent pb's on fell races, and a couple of weekends ago ran my 100th fell race (in abysmal weather).

The most memorable race was the Welsh 1000 Metres race, which starts on the north coast of Wales near Aber Falls, and crosses the Carneddau and Glyders, finally finishing on the summit of Snowdon. It was on the saturday of that heatwave and was absolutely the hardest race i've ever done. Luckily i still managed a pb, mainly because it's been 4 years since i ran it and my fitness has improved.

Joined a 2nd club up there for the fells. Their fell training and racing side is superb, and i hope to progress further, but their road/flat side training is simply not as intense as i am used to with Godiva. So when i did the Cov Parkrun a few weeks ago i was very disappointed to not break 19mins (in Feb i was close to breaking 18mins).

However i'm now back in Cov for a few weeks as work has gone chaotic and i need to be close to the office, so i'll get some sessions in with Godiva.

Regardless of location, training is going well, running approx 70 miles a week, so feeling very strong and destroying people on the fells who i previously couldn't get near... although as mentioned above my speed is somewhat lacking.

Won't be long until the cross-country league starts (fingers crossed) and i'd recommend to all local club members to turn out for their clubs... the Birmingham League is arguably the best (and strongest) in the country.

I must say the contrast between living on a farm in a village of only 400 people, is quite the contrast from Bedworth/Cov...!

Travs

Pyramid session this morning. 1min,2min,3,4,5,4,3,2,1... all with 2mins rest. 8 miles for the session.

Currently on 70 miles for the week, with possibly another short outing this evening.

Working up to 4 consecutive race weekends in September. Then that'll be about it for fell races.... got a hard half-marathon in October (on roads, but with 2000ft of climbing), then into the cross-country season.

clint van damme

Pyramid session this morning. 1min,2min,3,4,5,4,3,2,1... all with 2mins rest. 8 miles for the session.

Currently on 70 miles for the week, with possibly another short outing this evening.

Working up to 4 consecutive race weekends in September. Then that'll be about it for fell races.... got a hard half-marathon in October (on roads, but with 2000ft of climbing), then into the cross-country season.

Fair play. I'm in the pub having a hair of the dog after over celebrating yesterday!

Users who are viewing this thread