Running (4 Viewers)

gally9

Happy to find this thread!! I run for kenilworth runners and have been running around 8 years now. Losing 5 stone in the process, managed to knock out a half marathon in 1:35 on Saturday which I’m overjoyed with! Any other clubs represented on here?

Travs

Cov Godiva here.... Gally do you know Phil Gould? He is a good runner from your end of town, although i think he now runs for Leamington AC...

Travs

Week off work. 1:22:43 half marathon.

Now time to work out where I can find 163seconds to get to sub 1:20

Brilliant time... but as you well know, knocking time off gets harder as you get quicker. 163secs sounds like a small amount, but it's still 12secs/mile.

Although i'd imagine race conditions have the potential to make up the majority of those seconds.

gally9

Cov Godiva here.... Gally do you know Phil Gould? He is a good runner from your end of town, although i think he now runs for Leamington AC...

probably know him by face, I’m in leamington myself. Is he a strider?

SBAndy

Done something to my foot whilst walking at the weekend, so looks like a week or two off. Coupled with a glut of Easter eggs, that is a problem.

CrawleySkyBlue

Brilliant time... but as you well know, knocking time off gets harder as you get quicker. 163secs sounds like a small amount, but it's still 12secs/mile.

Although i'd imagine race conditions have the potential to make up the majority of those seconds.

Yeah, agreed. More training required

SkyBlueSoul

I do kind of miss the first lockdown from a purely running perspective, just don't have the time for longer runs atm. I'm on site every day and not getting home until 7 so it's about 8 before I get out. I like running 5ks but miss having the opportunity to regularly build up some distance with no time restraints

Rich

Just done 4x800m max efforts with 4minutes static recovery between effort.
I’ve forgotten how hard a good session feels, but how quickly you recover from it.

15miles for the week with a possible 5-10 tomorrow

CrawleySkyBlue

18:00 5km. First solid 5km in a while. Now time to watch the game.

I hate rep sessions, much prefer a continuous run at a hard pace rather than a stop starty run. Think it’s because stamina wise I’m pretty good, speed/acceleration wise not so much (I think my 100m sprint pace wouldn’t be that different to my 400m rep pace...)

SkyBlueSoul

Sacked off the 2nd half today to do just under 12km. Last 2km were in a hailstorm which doesn't go well with a shaved head! Went running by the river like I used to and even though it's flat, forgot how much more it takes out of my legs than running on pavements.

Great_Expectations

Sacked off the 2nd half today to do just under 12km. Last 2km were in a hailstorm which doesn't go well with a shaved head! Went running by the river like I used to and even though it's flat, forgot how much more it takes out of my legs than running on pavements.

I hadn’t really thought about this until recently, as ‘a run was just a run’ but you’re right it makes a big difference.

I predominantly run through fields/canal towpaths/bridal paths etc, and the terrain is often pretty poor. It definitely takes more out of the legs than pavements and even surfaces!

I see it as a positive - just means it’s more of a workout!

fernandopartridge

Is that along the Mersey by the water parks? I ran partly round some of the reservoirs here, ground was rocky and uneven and felt the same, trying to keep your footing is tiring

SkyBlueSoul

I hadn’t really thought about this until recently, as ‘a run was just a run’ but you’re right it makes a big difference.

I predominantly run through fields/canal towpaths/bridal paths etc, and the terrain is often pretty poor. It definitely takes more out of the legs than pavements and even surfaces!

I see it as a positive - just means it’s more of a workout!

My achilles tightened up around 4km which I put down to the terrain but once I pushed through it it felt great. Roads are faster but scenic running and having to battle that bit harder to keep pace is definitely more rewarding, especially if the weather holds up. Think I'll be back on the roads during the week to try and crack a 20 minute 5km though.

Is that along the Mersey by the water parks? I ran partly round some of the reservoirs here, ground was rocky and uneven and felt the same, trying to keep your footing is tiring
It is which is partly why I fell in love with running again last year. Pretty much the end of my road you have the river, 2 water parks, Ivy Green and a nature reserve. Mostly the paths are good but you're right, there's stretches where it's just rocky and you've got to have your wits about you

Travs

Raced at Pingles in the 1500mtrs today. Was 2nd in my heat, in what i can only imagine was a good race for the spectators... myself and a young lad from Bromsgrove&Redditch breaking clear in the middle stages, then swapping the lead multiple times on the final lap, before he pipped me by a second at the line.

4:45 which i think was the absolute most i could get out of myself at current fitness level.... equates to 76secs/lap, and last weeks single lap reps were being ran at 74/75secs.... though i have to credit my time today to the eventual winner, as we pushed each other really hard, especially on the final lap.... there is absolutely no way i could have managed that time if i'd been clear of the pack on my own.

Great_Expectations

Another good two weeks of running, and getting ever closer to pre covid fitness. Last week was 35 miles and I did 6 today to take this weeks to 29.

Still no half marathon attempt yet which is the big test really as I was running those on a near weekly basis before. Slightly worried as despite the weekly mileage increasing, anything around 7/8 miles and I’m starting to really feel it.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely 5 mile run this evening , got another one planned before the game Thursday

Travs

Club night last night.

4 x 200mtrs, 3 x 1 mile, 4 x 200mtrs

Unfortunately i was still absolutely battered from sunday's race, not to mention the reopening of gyms on monday! So took the whole session very relaxed.

200mtr reps were just used as a good stretch out, and ran the miles at about 6:20 pace.

But a good 8 mile run out.

Users who are viewing this thread