Running (3 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Back in New York today after a couple of months in extremely hot weather (35 degrees pretty much every day).

Lovely and cool and just got some proper running shoes (highly recommended btw, went and got the 3D scan of my ankles and feet as well as gait analysis and got some asics numbers - ugly as fuck and only had the ones with this rascal bright orange sole on them but they feel amazing) so got out there straight away.

5Km in 24:30 which I was happy with as I haven’t been able to get anywhere near that in the heat. My record was 20:30 back in cool April when I was running regularly so hoping to get back to that.

Looking at my splits the pace is still there and I’m way better in the cool weather but I was just gassed after the first mile:

View attachment 17306
Last time I was in New York (late November 2017)I took my running stuff and had a couple of runs around Central Park, the cool dry air is perfect for running in I think.

robbiekeane

Last time I was in New York (late November 2017)I took my running stuff and had a couple of runs around Central Park, the cool dry air is perfect for running in I think.
For sure. It’s beautiful to run around in autumn/winter and early spring.
Gets unbearable though from June - September though for me. Just so so humid. Can still do it and take it slow but it’s an absolute struggle from start to finish and you know when you just don’t enjoy one single minute of it? It like beats down on you and it’s just muggy.

So lose weight and get fit in the winter and become a fatty over the summer haha 😂

Adge

Had a 3 mile run yesterday just before it got dark-my legs felt like lead! Why is that? Some days like last time when I done 5 miles I felt like I could carry on still!

Travs

Ran the Bedworth Parkrun course this morning and didn't go brilliantly... 19:14

Ok it was wet and windy, but no excuses, when it started to get a little uncomfortable i didn't work hard enough.

One thing i've noticed is i do struggle to get into "race mode" when i'm on my own and its not proper race conditions. I started too slowly today and couldn't pull myself out of it. Will perhaps try again on the track next weekend where i do seem to be able to switch into a racing mentality, even when running solo. Still think even after today that i should be troubling 18mins.

Rich

Ilmington 10k tomorrow. The first in the winter series. There’s a big hill apparently.

Adge

Ilmington 10k tomorrow. The first in the winter series. There’s a big hill apparently.
Oh yes-there certainly is! The Tour de France riders do their training on it for preparation-I tried it a few times on my bike and got about a third of the way up.🥺

robbiekeane

Had a 3 mile run yesterday just before it got dark-my legs felt like lead! Why is that? Some days like last time when I done 5 miles I felt like I could carry on still!
Sometimes if I run in the evening depending on what I’ve eaten that day I just feel so much heavier, and it makes me feel like I’ve got heavier legs. I have no idea if that’s the case for you or whether it’s something else, but I run best first thing in the morning after just w coffee

SBAndy

I’ve come away to Westward Ho! for a few days and thought it an idea to go for a run this morning. I’m not much of a runner (just stepped up to running 6 miles per week) and it is ridiculously hilly where we’re staying. Anyway, did 2.4 miles in 23 minutes - really happy with that considering I only ever run on flat and I had to stop a couple of times due to cars on tight country lanes.

Goes back to the relativity point though - 3.7kms in 23 minutes would be shite to quite a lot on here.

larry_david

For me running on empty in the morning is so much better than running after work. Never thought I'd be that way but it's great although I'm hungry all day after

Adge

For me running on empty in the morning is so much better than running after work. Never thought I'd be that way but it's great although I'm hungry all day after
Yes-seems to be better for me first thing in the morning too. I guess for most of us though it’s a case of fitting it in around things and the morning for me is not always possible.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Working from home tomorrow so hopefully get a run in about 2:30

Rich

Oh yes-there certainly is! The Tour de France riders do their training on it for preparation-I tried it a few times on my bike and got about a third of the way up.🥺
Walked it. No way was I attempting to run it at the start. Still managed 56 minutes with two stops for puffs on my inhaler.

Great_Expectations

I started running first thing in the morning during lockdown on nothing but water (only included coffee/porridge if doing a half), so I guess essentially a fasted run; I always enjoyed it more, it felt better and was a great start to the day.

Since baby number two arrived and paternity leave finished, I’ve had to adapt to when it suits my diary and the kids are settled/at nursery/Grandparents so my partner isn’t alone with both.

Definitely notice the difference, whether it’s a fuller stomach, tiredness (mentally and physically) from the day or even a feeling of guilt leaving my partner at home, means the runs aren’t quite the same or as enjoyable. It also means I don’t always hit the mileage or distance I want to each week.

Still great to be able to get out and do something though - especially when the run finishes at the pub!

Travs

Club night last night, and first club session on the track since last winter...

300mtrs hard, 100mtrs steady. Session was 12 reps, but i strung it out to 14..... although didn't feel particularly spritely, so may forego my planned 5km track effort on saturday, for another "sharpener" track rep session instead.

Travs

Ran the Bedworth Parkrun course again this morning. Much improved on a fornight ago with an 18:37. Still not quite where i want to be, but only 3 seconds off a pb, and without other runners to chase down, i'm fairly happy with that.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely 5 mile run earlier , 55 minutes dead on .

Adge

Yep-same. Been in the treadmill in the week as it was too late but but went out and about today. Much prefer it outside to the treadmill.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Yep-same. Been in the treadmill in the week as it was too late but but went out and about today. Much prefer it outside to the treadmill.
Prefer being out , it was a really nice day too

Adge

Just can’t trust being around the roads etc in the evening, especially with the dark nights etc.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just can’t trust being around the roads etc in the evening, especially with the dark nights etc.
Yes if I can get out for about 4 it’s ok but anytime after that it’s too risky

Great_Expectations

My partner bought a Peloton bike a little while ago and has tried to get me to have a go, but I’ve never really been that interested. I have never enjoyed spinning and much prefer to be out and about. However I gave it a try last night and surprisingly quite enjoyed it!

I want to keep up a good running distance each week, but also try and incorporate a few Peloton rides too. Can anyone recommend a calculator/site/article that can give me a steer on what’s a ‘good’ distance to run each week? And ideally one that takes into account circumstances (age, weight etc).

Travs

I want to keep up a good running distance each week, but also try and incorporate a few Peloton rides too. Can anyone recommend a calculator/site/article that can give me a steer on what’s a ‘good’ distance to run each week? And ideally one that takes into account circumstances (age, weight etc).

I don't think there are any set criteria for what is a "good" mileage each week. It does, as you say, depend on age/weight/current fitness, etc.

It's very personal... but i'd say if you are able to go out four times a week and run steadily for perhaps 45mins, and can generally do that week-on-week, with no issues, then that is a "good" baseline to achieve. At that point you could then begin to think about longer runs, faster sessions, etc.

But to attribute a number to it is more difficult... four times a week as i describe above would probably get you around 20 miles per week... my own "minimum baseline" mileage which i look to clear every week is 50 miles... there's very successful marathon runners in my club who ran 100+ miles per week... generally the more miles you do, then obviously the better you'll become, but some people aren't suited to high mileage, and cross-training/cycling works for them.

Where calculators/etc can come in handy is giving you a rough idea of the pace you should be running, but again you generally need some kind of timed result as a baseline to work out your paces... i think Mcmillan Running is a very popular one, and will give you the sort of paces you might want to be achieving for long runs, faster sessions, reps, etc. But i don't think it will tell you how many miles you should be doing. And i expect it requires some kind of sign-up.

I'm sure there are others which are very similar.

Travs

It's also very much worth me saying...

If you currently run, for example 10 miles per week, and decide that a "good" mileage for you is 30.... don't just go straight out expecting to be able to do that overnight with no issues... that is the way to a host of issues, niggles in your calf/hamstring/achilles/fatigue/motivation... the usual rule-of thumb is to build up by no more than 10% per week. My personal opinion (based on nothing scientific at all) is that if you keep the pace steady, you can probably jump the mileage a bit more than 10% some weeks. But even if you increased by around 10% per week, from 10mpw to 30mpw would only take a couple of months and you would see a marked rise in fitness...

Great_Expectations

Thanks Travs. I currently run around 40 miles per week (other than a few lower weeks last month due to having a newborn in the house!).

I don’t ideally want to drop that, but if I want to incorporate Peloton then I know I’ll need to. So I want to try and establish a rough estimate for my new running weekly mileage target and then the same for the Peloton.

I’m thinking potentially 30 running and 20 on the Peloton.

Travs

I think a rule-of-thumb is that you need to do three miles of cycling to match 1 mile of running (again a very broad rule which doesn't really take into account any personal variables). Therefore it would read that every five miles you drop from running, you could do 15 miles on the bike (apologies for the rather basic maths lesson!!).

Great_Expectations

Thanks again. I wasn’t too far off them, 30 miles running and 30 on the Peloton will be the weekly aim, although I can see myself slanting that to favour running!

Plus, as you say it doesn’t take into account other considerations, the Peloton doesn’t tend to be about distance rides but other classes like intervals, climbs etc so the mileage won’t be massive.

Travs

I was probably being a little too basic in my first couple of replies.. if you're already doing 40mpw you've probably got a fair idea of what you're doing.

My only advice would therefore be to join a local club... they'll give you much more advanced advice. And the vast majority of clubs there's absolutely no obligation to turn up every week to train (in fact at the moment there are no club sessions permitted!)

Travs

Just did 6 miles. Out from Bedworth to Lythalls Lane, past the Cherry Tree. Lap round the Ricoh.

The stadium part of the Ricoh is looking extremely tired and dilapadated for a stadium only, what, 15 years old. Rather sad that felt absolutely nothing as i ran round past the turnstiles. Can't even drive up Swan Lane without getting a tingle.

Then back to sunny Bedworth.

skyblue1991

Not done much since the gyms closed last week, a few walks after work which has kept me going.

Gonna try a 10k run tomorrow, see how I get on

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

Done my 5 miles at 07:30 this morning no beer last night and early to bed . Might change the route again soon . I always said that 5 miles would be enough but I’m tempted to add a bit more

SBAndy

Been a while since I did a run of pure (relative) speed as I’ve been stepping my distance up week on week. After my 5km run yesterday I thought it’d be fun to see how quickly I can now do my initial run circuit, which measures in at 0.91 miles. Quickest time previously was 7:07 so wanted to break the 7-minute barrier. Just been and smashed it - 6:36. Really chuffed with that, considering I’m just 6 months on from not being able to run that circuit without stopping.

Users who are viewing this thread