Running (3 Viewers)

Macca

Any runners on the forum. I've rediscovered my love of it this year. Mainly for the fun of it but of course you are always looking to go quicker. I was reading some depressing runners forum which suggested unless you run under 20 mins for 5k you are just a jogger!

So how do any SBT members stack up. So far this year I am 250 miles done in total 5k 24.04. 10k 53 and 13 miles 1 hour 55. Age 46

Sky Blue Pete

You’re a runner. Ignore the snobs. Having real issues with my knees and ankles and gout. Fastest 5k this year is about 27

Macca

You’re a runner. Ignore the snobs. Having real issues with my knees and ankles and gout. Fastest 5k this year is about 27

My knees feel like I've been in the Falls Road sometimes. To be honest I only try to break a personal best once a month.

You see stupid things like even an obese 40 year old could get off the couch and run sub 25 5k. That feels like bollocks to me. Maybe it's a shit time for a 25 year old club runner but not the average man

SBAndy

Couldn’t think of anything worse, absolutely despise running. Just find it so mind-numbingly boring. Probably doesn’t help that I seem to have a narrow-set nose and really struggle with deep breathing when partaking in cardio, but I do find cycling a lot easier.

Astute

Used to run a lot when boxing. Hated it. Would run to training, train then run home again. I now prefer walking. Much better on your joints. I walk on the beach for miles, through sand dunes and up and down mountains near where we live. It is good for your fitness. Even my dogs enjoy their sleep when we get home. And both are from working farm dogs.

But fair play if you enjoy it. Each to their own.

Nick

Administrator
I just can't do it. At training there's shuttles and they are ok as it is short bursts.

If you put me on a treadmill or go out into the road I just can't keep concentration on it.

A game of football where you aren't thinking about running and it's fine

13 miles in under 2 hours sounds decent to me.

Macca

To be honest half of it is convenience, stupidly busy life and can just make a quick decision whack on some trainers. Funnily enough though I can't get my head around proper cycling, I love a 30 mile leisurely cycle but going out there head down and smashing 80 miles is my idea of hell

clint van damme

Any runners on the forum. I've rediscovered my love of it this year. Mainly for the fun of it but of course you are always looking to go quicker. I was reading some depressing runners forum which suggested unless you run under 20 mins for 5k you are just a jogger!

So how do any SBT members stack up. So far this year I am 250 miles done in total 5k 24.04. 10k 53 and 13 miles 1 hour 55. Age 46

Going by that definition I was definitely a jogger but used to jog a fair bit but was very susceptible to injuries so 5 a side and gym now but have been thinking of getting out on the pavement again.
Think I might do the Cov half next year.

Marty

I run, getting back into it after injury, but the knees just don't feel the same.

I currently do about 27min 5k. But had my times down to 22min 5k this time last year before the injury.

I think it clears the mind and it allows you to focus your mind.

Sick Boy

Used to run a lot when boxing. Hated it. Would run to training, train then run home again. I now prefer walking. Much better on your joints. I walk on the beach for miles, through sand dunes and up and down mountains near where we live. It is good for your fitness. Even my dogs enjoy their sleep when we get home. And both are from working farm dogs.

But fair play if you enjoy it. Each to their own.

I used to hate the running of it too when training properly but can still go for endless rounds on the heavybag

Sky_Blue_Daz

I love it I was doing 5 miles in between October and the back end of January. Increased it slowly am doing 8 miles 3 or 4 times a week

Got some great routes by me in particular Fivefield rd through Corley and stone house lane
Although if I’m looking for a quick route I tend to go down glentworth ave, towards the holly bush onto the cherry tree club round the Ricoh then up theough the pro logis estate, which is roughly 5 miles

If I’m off on a weekday I’ll listen to talksport ,

Astute

I used to hate the running of it too when training properly but can still go for endless rounds on the heavybag
My last injury meant I had to retire from the ring at 47. Couldn't hit anyone or anything with my left hand. Not bad out the ring but tried once more in it. Couldn't size them up without my jab. No use having the power still in right hand but missing all the time. So time to take it easy and walk everywhere. I carry a heavy weight on my back up and down mountains. All a part of getting old but not wanting to give up just yet.

skyblueinBaku

On my morning stroll now. On the beach with sand dunes to the right and bottom end of lakes in front. Misty morning so you can't see much of the mountain range.

View attachment 11869
That's some beach! Do you get decent Summers up there?

Astute

That's some beach! Do you get decent Summers up there?
We have our own climate. It can get very warm. But it can also get very windy. People come from all over Europe for kite surfing. They also have competitions here. I have been here 12 years and only had snow 3 times. And it melted immediately each time. But when you go onto the mainland they can have lots of snow.

The beach is 13 and half miles long. And we don't get holiday makers as they go to the lakes. So you can always find your own spot.

Gazolba

I'm an ex-runner. I'm too old for it now.
I used to do laps on the running track of a school near me. On the weekends it was a magnet for runners.
Then the school decided it didn't want any interlopers on its property and fenced the entire track in and hired a security guard!
There were lawsuits since the school got its funding from public money but I don't know what the outcome was since I moved elsewhere.
I used to run on the beach at the waterline where the sand is firmer, that was my favourite place to run.
Running is very hard on the knees and I wouldn't recommend running on any hard surface.
You can get the same benefits from brisk walking especially if you include uphill and downhill sections in your route.

speedie87

I do the parkrun most weeks and the odd 10k

In my mind I class myself as running when I,m sub 8min mile pace otherwise I feel like i’m Jogging

Thing I like about running is you see clear benefits with training, especially when not stupidly fit , it’s pretty simply the more you run quicker you run

However the saying it never gets easier you just get quicker is pretty true!

I did 24:30 for 5k this morning

ajsccfc

I've done the Two Castles twice and I keep telling myself to pick it up again, but I can't stand it as I'm so aware that I'm exercising for exercise's sake that I get tired and sore easy and convince myself to stop. If I'm getting exercise while doing something I enjoy like playing football or squash though I can do it for hours without tiring myself out. I wish I could make the breakthrough where I love running in the same way, but like with the gym I can't force myself into it. I think my best timed 10k was about 56 mins, so I'd definitely fall into the jogger category, if not ambler.

bezzer

Well that makes me a jogger for the past 4 years! I'm not quick, I just enjoy the Park run, a few 10ks and a half marathon.
PBs are 5k - 26m, 10k - 54 and half marathon 2hrs 8mins.
I'll just jog on!

bringbackrattles

Walking is the best especially in the great outdoors. Fair play to those who run, my mate who's an ex professional boxer, runs marathons as his missus has got a serious disease, and he runs for the charity that supports her. The thing with walking is you can walk at a pace that suits you, and it can be done almost anywhere. Used to run away from the coppers a lot in my past, but they always caught me !

Captain Dart

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely run today , down Bennett’s road onto Fivefield road ( that hill is hard) over Hollyfast lane left towards the white lion onto browns lane then a lap round coundon park

Roughly 6.5 miles first run in a week after a weekend of over indulgence too ,

scottccfc

I used to hate running, but since ive found a decent set of headphones and listen to a podcast iv enjoyed running( very slow jog more like)

Sky_Blue_Daz

I started this year and after a decidedly patchy approach to 'training' did the Cov Half in 2:02 so your times look good to me! I hit the wall at 11 miles, never known discomfort like it, everything hurt!
Bloody hell I think that a great time, I did it a few years ago in 2.8mins hardest part for me was coming down the Tamworth road and left onto Long lane ( I think it’s called ) and then back up it and back onto the Tamworth road

covmark

After about 1 mile of running I get pain in my lower back and hips. It's a shame because it's something I used to enjoy.
Dont know what causes it, I'm ok on a cross trainer, and cycling. Tend to stick to them now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

After about 1 mile of running I get pain in my lower back and hips. It's a shame because it's something I used to enjoy.
Dont know what causes it, I'm ok on a cross trainer, and cycling. Tend to stick to them now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

sounds like something a couple of trips to the physio would soon sort out.

Users who are viewing this thread