Running (5 Viewers)

Travs

National Road Relays today at Sutton Park. 65 of the top clubs in the country toed the start line.

1st Leeds City
2nd Bristol & West
3rd Highgate Harriers

Not seen final results yet but Godiva were around 35th (and 7th or 8th Midlands club.... a massive improvement over our 16th at the Midlands Relays a fortnight ago).

Leamington AC were a couple of places in front of us. Nuneaton Harriers somewhere 55th-60th.

On a personal note, another pb, beating my performance from a fortnight ago by 11 seconds. Was still in the slowest 15-20% of runners there today though.

Today's showing confirms that i'm firmly in pb shape for the 5km, and possibly even an outside chance of going under 18mins..... however i'll not get the chance to find out, as today is my last "flat" race until October, its mountain running all the way now as i prepare for the world masters.

Travs

Big weekend coming up....

Friday afternoon is the uphill mountain running trial for the GB team for the mountain running world champs.... so off to Keswick in the Lake District to compete in that.... really i've got no chance of being competitive as just about everyone else there will have a realistic chance of grabbing a GB vest.... i'm just there to get an uphill race in on the build-up to World Masters Champs in September.

Then on sunday i was a travelling reserve for the inter-counties fell champs, also at Keswick.... however i have now been promoted into the team, so another appearance in the green/blue vest of the mighty Warwickshire.

First race is uphill only, but around 3000ft of climb in 4 miles. Second race is 10 miles with approx 3000ft of climb and descent.

There is a very distinct possibility that our scoring three runners for Warwickshire will all be over-40 veterans.... i bet that doesn't happen often.

Last edited:

Travs

Anyone got experience of trying low heart rate training, Maffetone like stuff, to build up an endurance base?

I'm not familiar with maffetone, but building up a solid base of endurance through "easy" cardio is basically the core principle behind all decent running.

Going out and trying to hit a 5km pb on every run is a fast lane to disappointment and most probably injury.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Have completely lost the passion for it , need to get out of the rut I’m in , literally wake up do a few jobs till evening then drink then bed and repeat

Haven’t ran for about 2 weeks thinking of a few gentle 5ks then get back up yon5 miles asap

Sick Boy

Have completely lost the passion for it , need to get out of the rut I’m in , literally wake up do a few jobs till evening then drink then bed and repeat

Haven’t ran for about 2 weeks thinking of a few gentle 5ks then get back up yon5 miles asap
It’s understandable with all that’s been going on recently mate. I think just getting a few short kms in would help you get back into it soon.

Travs

Big weekend of racing in the Lake District.

Friday afternoon was the trial race for the GB Uphill team for the upcoming world champs in Annecy, France.

I had no illusions of getting anywhere near selection, but just wanted a good test on an uphill-only race. Despite running as well as i've ever done before, i finished about 58th out of 79.... although i was one of the few people in the race over the age of 30, let alone 40.

Then on sunday it was the inter-counties fell champs, where myself, two Godiva clubmates, and one from Kenilworth, donned the green and blue vest of Warwickshire, up against the best the other counties had to offer..... in the ladies there was one from Godiva, one from Stratford On Avon AC, and one from Knowle & Dorridge.

The four of us in the men's race were quite evenly matched and it was a good battle... i was first to the summit after over an hour of racing, but succumbed to my weekend's efforts on the descent and had to settle for 2nd counter, 78th overall. We were 19th county in the final standings.

The ladies' race was started 15mins after ours so i obviously didn't get a close-up view of the action, but Julie Emmerson of Godiva finished a fantastic 13th overall despite suffering terribly on the descent... with Warwickshire 11th county.

Think i'll take it easy this week, before ramping up again ready for my next race in just under 6 weeks time.

Users who are viewing this thread