Rugby World Cup 2023 (2 Viewers)

Bad Boy

Wasps killed any interest I had with rugby, which is a shame cuz I enjoyed it.
Went to Twickenham for a 6 nations game and it was a real occasion.
Now I just think it’s fat posh boys bumping into each other. The fans are weird, a bit like non league football fans, just something not quite right there.
Agree with your first sentence M&B Stand.

covcity4life

I played rugby at school and once scored a wonder try.

The ball came loose on the floor and I kicked it and ran after it and as it kept bobbling, I dribbled it football style all the way to the line, some 50 yards, and then dived on the ball to score a try

I was pleased as punch with myself, only to then have the teacher give me a rollicking for not picking the ball up. 🤷
Yeah I hated rugby but one time I managed to shrug a tackle off and ran in for a try but I spiked the ball for a touchdown and was told it's not allowed by pe teacher.

So I have never scored a try in my life and never will now

fernandopartridge

Wasps killed any interest I had with rugby, which is a shame cuz I enjoyed it.
Went to Twickenham for a 6 nations game and it was a real occasion.
Now I just think it’s fat posh boys bumping into each other. The fans are weird, a bit like non league football fans, just something not quite right there.
I'm similar, I wouldn't say I liked rugby union but I'd watch the internationals. After Wasps I just despise the sport. That said, I still want Cov RFC to do well but that's out of interest in a Coventry team only.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Bad Boy

Yeah I hated rugby but one time I managed to shrug a tackle off and ran in for a try but I spiked the ball for a touchdown and was told it's not allowed by pe teacher.

So I have never scored a try in my life and never will now
I too hated playing the occasional game of rugby at school.
I played in a friendly as an adult at Old Leamingtonians once and was utterly knackered after 60 seconds, I couldn't believe how much ground you covered.

andrew.roberts

I was football mad but ended up going to a school in Coventry which only played rugby or hockey. I had this preconceived idea that I would hate the game but ended up absolutely loving it. At about fifteen I used to play for the school on Saturdays and local Sunday league football and when I left I continued to play rugby for Coventry Welsh colts on a Saturday and football for the Jules Verne on a Sunday.
As someone else said, you get a different perspective of the game and its rules when you have played it but it's changed drastically since my days.
The social side of rugby was phenomenal too and I'll never forget the communal bath tub from which you would emerge generally dirtier than before you got into it.
I consider myself fortunate to have had the opportunity to both play and thoroughly enjoy the two games.

Last edited:

covcity4life

I too hated playing the occasional game of rugby at school.
I played in a friendly as an adult at Old Leamingtonians once and was utterly knackered after 60 seconds, I couldn't believe how much ground you covered.
Only reason I shrugged off the tackle was because it was a boy I hated so I just tried to run through. Would have got pummeled by anyone else I imagine.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Ah, I take it you're more of a 'cha cha' man?
Not at all, it’s stop start, Boring, and most rugby fans have a chip on their shoulder. Forced to play it in school because the teacher liked it, just think the sport is wank and full of self righteous pretentious people

then wasps come along and make it 10 times worse

Great_Expectations

I can echo some of the stories and points made above; football was (and always will be) my number one sport, but my school was rugby or nothing so I was forced to play it.

Fortunately I was decent enough to always be in the Firsts and got to represent city and county, but the best bit was touring - and I went to some pretty cool places, albeit I genuinely used to dread 90% of games before kick off. Was never the same excitement as pre football games.

It does absolutely help give an understanding of the rules and generally what is going on, but I don’t follow it anywhere near enough to be an expert on every recent rule change.

The England game today should be good, but it will be a kicking v possession based team. I expect England to slow it down by breaking up play while Fiji will want to just run and run.

It could yield a pretty interesting one!

NorthernWisdom

Fucking hell we’ve crumbled
Ohh no we haven't!

Anyway, just me or has this tournament been going on for all eternity?!? I mean, international Rugby's quite good when it's competitive, but widening access and holding a tournament over what feels like a quarter of a year doesn't hook people really when there are some utter mismatches to get to this point.

Tommo1993

My rugby knowledge is probably equal to a certain other topic being discussed on this forum…

But would it be sensible to assume either France or SA will give us a good pounding?

NorthernWisdom

My rugby knowledge is probably equal to a certain other topic being discussed on this forum…

But would it be sensible to assume either France or SA will give us a good pounding?
Please don't merge the two topics!

Anyway think the assessment is a bit overly bleak. You'd think home advantage would see France through, but England beat one of the other semi finalists with a man down, and do seem to be playing into form at the right time.

NorthernWisdom

Semis a semi. Keeps it exciting for the weekend.
rik mayall bottom GIF

Brighton Sky Blue

It would be a crime against the sport of England were the only Northern hemisphere side to get to the semis

Users who are viewing this thread