Match Thread Rotherham (1 Viewer)

Otis

Tuesday, April 13
Championship AMP header

Rotherham vs. QPR

Football
Preview: Rotherham United vs. Queens Park Rangers

Rotherham United will be looking to claw themselves closer to safety when they host mid-table Queens Park Rangers at the New York Stadium on Tuesday evening.

The Millers are six points below the dotted line, but they have three games in hand and have to make the first of those count against a QPR side still not entirely out of the playoff picture.

Match preview

Preview: Rotherham vs. QPR - prediction, team news, lineups

United were further frustrated in their survival quest on Saturday as they played out a goalless draw with fellow strugglers Huddersfield Town.

Paul Warne's men have won just two of their last 11 league games, losing eight of those, and they still have some difficult games to come.

Tuesday's visit of QPR is the first of four successive home matches, though, including games against Coventry City and Birmingham City, who are very much in the relegation picture.

Having lost five games in a row at the New York Stadium, it goes without saying that Warne's side quite simply need to get out of their slump if they are to dodge the drop.

Scoring goals home and away has also been a big issue, the Millers having failed to find the net in seven of their last 10 league games, including in each of their last three.

QPR have had far fewer problems scoring, failing to do so just once in their last 10, but they have recorded back-to-back wins just once since February.

That is something Mark Warburton will be looking to put right in midweek on the back of his side's comfortable 4-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday.

Lyndon Dykes scored two headers to make it three goals in his last two outings, while Stefan Johansen and Chris Willock were also on target at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

QPR have now won seven of their last nine home league games, but it is just one win in five on their travels, most recently losing 3-1 at Nottingham Forest.

However, since the turn of the year, only Watford and Norwich (both 14) have won more Championship games than QPR's 11, the Rs already equalling their total of league wins in 2020.

With another victory here, combined with other results going their way, the West London side may just find themselves in the playoff mix once again.

Rotherham United Championship form:
WLWLLD

Queens Park Rangers Championship form:
LWDWLW

Team News

Richard Wood returned from suspension last time out and slotted straight back into defence, leaving Joe Mattock as Rotherham's only known injury doubt.

Ryan Giles has dropped to the bench in recent games but is among those pushing for a recall here, possibly in place of Ben Wiles.

Matt Crooks and Michael Smith are expected to lead the hosts' line, though Freddie Ladapo is another contender should Warne wish to change things.

As for the visiting side, they remain without striker Charlie Austin after he was hit with a three-game ban by the Football Association for violent conduct versus Forest.

That will not bother Warburton too much given Dykes's form, with Ilias Chair and Willock positioned just off the Scotland international.

Tom Carroll and Luke Amos will sit this one out through injury, but Jordy de Wijs returned from injury last time out to start against Wednesday.

Rotherham United possible starting lineup:
Johansson; Ihiekwe, Wood, MacDonald; Olosunde, Lindsay, Wing, Wiles, Harding; Crooks, Smith

Queens Park Rangers possible starting lineup:
Dieng; Dickie, De Wijs, Barbet; Kakay, Johansen, Field, Wallace; Willock, Chair; Dykes

We say: Rotherham United 0-1 Queens Park Rangers

QPR have been the third best side in the Championship in terms of form this calendar year, but they do not have the best of away records.

Rotherham have lost five in a row on their own patch, though, so this is a good opportunity for Warburton's men to put another win on the board and climb the division.

Sky Blue Harry H

It's not as if their best players are good enough for this league, so playing lesser players will just result in them throwing away one of their games in hand.

If they do not win tonight, then a defeat on Thursday (meltdown, though it will cause) does not become quite so damaging. They will be running on empty (if not by our game) by the Blues game, who will kick them to bits. Subsequent games is where they will fall off the rails through injuries and fatigue. Regardless of Thursday's result - injuries aside - I am confident we will regroup to win at least 2 of our remaining games, which would still require Rotherham to win 3 more of theirs (most of which are away).If we were playing tonight and then again on Thursday, I would be bricking it in terms of being able to get 2 performances out of the team, and it will be the same for Rotherham in reality.

SIR ERNIE

Biggest game of the season,not sure robins will send them out 2 up front maybe more going out not to lose.

Draw

It's so massive that the result could well determine our future for the next few seasons. If they pick up anything tonight then beat us we become favourites for the drop and what chance of an early return to the Championship?

Win, stay up, strengthen and consolidate and the future looks very different.

massively massive.

skybluepm2

5 consecutive home defeats is shocking. It’s unfortunate that Austin is suspended for QPR tonight but hopefully they have enough in the tank to make it 6. Come on you R’s!

Brighton Sky Blue

God knows how some on here would have coped with the relegation scraps in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s,Good job there was no social media then!!!

I remember those of the 90s well enough as a boy with my dad leaping from rage to celebration with all things in between over 90 minutes. When we stayed up in '97 he basically flooded the lounge with beer. When we went down in 2001 he broke a fence amidst cries of 'AGAINST THE FUCKING VILLA AS WELL'.

You can probably see where I get my own matchday histrionics from

It’sabatch87

I remember those of the 90s well enough as a boy with my dad leaping from rage to celebration with all things in between over 90 minutes. When we stayed up in '97 he basically flooded the lounge with beer. When we went down in 2001 he broke a fence amidst cries of 'AGAINST THE FUCKING VILLA AS WELL'.

You can probably see where I get my own matchday histrionics from
Tottenham away was one of the best days out,We were in the Punch and Judy pub in Covent Garden for opening time,Arms and limbs when we scored and eventually won behind the goal.
Tasty outside before and after!!

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

Hyam should be available for Thurs but only returned to training yesterday. Has lost weight because of his illness.

jordan210

I dont get Rotherham going to play a weaker team tonight. Sounds like mind games to me.

QPR can go 9th tonight with a win. So still in with a shout of play off spot if a couple of teams crash and burn. So please do us a favour QPR

Sky Blue Harry H

I dont get Rotherham going to play a weaker team tonight. Sounds like mind games to me.

Might be a bit of rotation. What they will not be able to do is field their strongest team for QPR and us, never mind Blues. Inevitable they will pick up knocks. What I don't want is for any of our players to lose their heads in that game if it is going against us, as there are other big games afterwards, and suspensions could cost us for subsequent games (are you listening, Leo?!!)

Frostie

Might be a bit of rotation. What they will not be able to do is field their strongest team for QPR and us, never mind Blues. Inevitable they will pick up knocks. What I don't want is for any of our players to lose their heads in that game if it is going against us, as there are other big games afterwards, and suspensions could cost us for subsequent games (are you listening, Leo?!!)

It's a bit of a misnomer really. They have the smallest squad in the league anyway so not like they'll be making wholesale changes & resting loads of players. It'll probably be the likes of Giles might play the 70mins rather than the usual 20 etc.

skyblueelephant76

It's a bit of a misnomer really. They have the smallest squad in the league anyway so not like they'll be making wholesale changes & resting loads of players. It'll probably be the likes of Giles might play the 70mins rather than the usual 20 etc.
They have hardly any injuries and had a decent bench at the weekend. They probably have more options to make changes at the moment than we do.

Users who are viewing this thread