Match Thread Rotherham United FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Wednesday 25th Oct (6 Viewers)

steve101

I am hoping that Sakamota keeps his place. Not only was he superb that first half but it will give him confidence in Robins' belief in him. As was mentioned above, I would put him on corner duty.

long way home

Im sure Robins will make changes and i can see Lats and Allen if fit coming in. The other change that id be tempted to make is Bidwell coming in. Im not trying to create a Bidwell discussion or say i don't rate DaSilva. I just i think he would bring a level of consistency that would help the team right now. He is a calm head and makes the right decision more often than not. We need that trait especially with the final ball in and around the opposition area. To often we get into good positions but pick the wrong pass or not find our target.

For me he is definitely worth a go as we know what he does and what he brings.

Last edited:
Reactions: AOM

Chris1987

Is there a chance that it’ll be off due to the flooding in the area? Theres a river right next to the stadium.
I live in Sheffield and the forecast is for more heavy rain. The pitch is fine but the issue is the surrounding area . I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were called off .

torchomatic

Does anyone know the best place to park within walking distance of the ground, planning to drive with my two lads

We use the YourParkingSpace app for every away ground. Can usually get somewhere pretty close that's also a good price. We parked on someone's drive on Bristol on Saturday for a fiver. Going to do the same in Preston next week. Was only £4.50.

Sky Blue 1987

Yeh I've been looking at justpark which is the same company and there is no where close lol, nearest is an asda about a 40 minute walk although it is only £2.50

BlueSkiesForever

I just think we become too defensive with two out and out DMs at the base. A three with Saka and Allen I’m hoping makes up for slightly less defensive solidity with energy.

Yeah exactly, this is my beef with 5 at the back, I know it’s a small thing but before you’ve even started the game you’re saying to the opposition we’d rather have defenders on the pitch than attackers. To me it sends off an image of team that isn’t confident enough to trust their defence with only 4 defenders, it’s like we need that extra defence-minded player because we’re unsure about going forward so we’d just rather not concede.

I don’t ever enjoy 5 at the back but I think it’s absolutely fine playing it if you have DMs that can also attack, Eccles is just not consistently good enough to be able attack and defend for 90 mins, the system worked with Hamer because he had that ability to defend but also get up the pitch, pick an amazing pass and also shoot exceptionally well but Eccles is nowhere near that level. I think we need to return to the box now, Robins needs to get over playing his favourites every game, play Simms as the sole striker, maybe play Kitching over Fadz every now and again, maybe put Lati in DM alongside Sheaf.

We need to see some creativity, not just from the lads but from the management as well.

BlueSkiesForever

By that logic we should give Sky Blue Sam 15 mins off the bench, after all we don’t know if he’s good enough until we give him a try.

Honestly nothing personal at all (and I mean it) but I think it’s this sort of mentality that has got us where we are atm, trying the same old shit every week because that’s all we know and all we want to know, not trying out new formations when it’s clear it’s not working, making ridiculously late subs because we’re reluctant to admit the tactics didn’t work in that particular game etc etc.

Clearly none of us have a clue if Obikwu is performing in training, and I’m not saying he’s necessarily the answer but I remember that Preston game last season where we tried everything to score all game and for the last 10 mins we brought on Tavares, it changed the feel of the game completely and he scored a worldie in the last few mins of the game. I’m not saying he’s brilliant but there might be more fire in a youngster like Obikwu than there currently is in any of our 3 main strikers.

fernandopartridge

Honestly nothing personal at all (and I mean it) but I think it’s this sort of mentality that has got us where we are atm, trying the same old shit every week because that’s all we know and all we want to know, not trying out new formations when it’s clear it’s not working, making ridiculously late subs because we’re reluctant to admit the tactics didn’t work in that particular game etc etc.

Clearly none of us have a clue if Obikwu is performing in training, and I’m not saying he’s necessarily the answer but I remember that Preston game last season where we tried everything to score all game and for the last 10 mins we brought on Tavares, it changed the feel of the game completely and he scored a worldie in the last few mins of the game. I’m not saying he’s brilliant but there might be more fire in a youngster like Obikwu than there currently is in any of our 3 main strikers.

What load of shite

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Grendel

I love how players no one have ever seen have a growing reputation based on the fact no one has ever seen them

procdoc

Let’s throw in a teenage striker that’s never played first team football for shits and giggles. Some of you would make terrible managers 😂

pusbccfc

Actually wouldn't give a shit if this was called off. More time to get Allen, OHare, Kelly,Palmer fully fit for Monday

Rotherham have loads of injuries too.

Skybluecol

This won't be called off.....little rain today and none due tomorrow and no flooding around the stadium area. Small area affected in South Rotherham, in a small area, a good few miles away from the ground.

Hertsccfc

What load of shite

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Exactly. The Einstein quote is one of the most misused and misunderstood concepts, especially when talking about football.

Of course in laboratory conditions when everything else is constant you get the same result if you do the same thing again. But no two games of football are the same and the poster you were responding to has used it to support dropping our top scorer for two new strikers who are simply not scoring; to suggest returning to the box midfield when we didn't have any spare midfielders fit; to go to four at the back when we clearly don't have the players to fit that system, having brought in wing backs who are not full backs; and now to bring in a youth team striker, who we have no idea whether he is good enough.

skyblueelephant76

You don't remember the Preston game very well, it's two seasons ago.

We're unbeaten in 75% of the games we've played in the league this season. Lots of things we're doing are working and we could easily have more points than we do. It's fine margins.

It was always going to take a while to get going this season with the change over of players and then the injuries compounded that.

It's far too early to be panicking and ripping everything up.

Sky Blue 1987

Usually easy to park on the Sheffield Road in the area of post code S60 1DA. 15 mins walk to the ground, easy to get away in terms of traffic. No restrictions after 6 pm.
Thanks mate, will have a little drive around when we arrive tomorrow and have a look, that bit of Sheffield road is closed at the minute, probably due to flooding lol

BlueSkiesForever

What load of shite

Can always count on old Fernando to shit on people’s ideas and come up with absolutely nothing insightful himself 👏😂

There’s a defiant group of people on this forum that contribute absolutely zero in terms of helping the team or trying to find the positives in the negatives, whichever way they look it’s moan moan moan, it’s that sort of pessimistic shit that pisses me off.

People wrote Tavares off last season (and also this season) and yet him coming on for just 10 mins in that Preston game last season got us an extra point if we hadn’t have tried something different like bringing an unproven youngster in Tavares on in that game we probably wouldn’t have won it. I never said “let’s start Obikwu above all our other strikers” I simply suggested that he may have something in him that others are lacking atm, maybe we could try him for 10 mins at the end of a game just like we did with Tavares last season. I mean how the fuck is he going to contribute less than what Simms/Godden/Wright are currently contributing in the last 10 mins of the game? Quick 5-10 mins of some geezer who’s itching to prove himself, rather than someone like Wright who doesn’t quite know what his job is yet. We’ve got to be more open-minded than we currently are, it’s so dull and predictable, right from the players to the manager to this forum, we need to brighten ourselves up a bit in almost every aspect.

Edit: I will just say @fernandopartridge I’m not having a go, I had an almost identical debate with someone on here and it just turned proper sour, I’m not about that, I’m not an ultra or whatever, I come on here to chat and air ideas, I don’t dislike anyone. I don’t like people calling my ideas shit but hey ho that’s life, I’m just defending my point of view so please don’t think I’m anymore of a twat for doing so.

Last edited:

skyblueelephant76

Can always count on old Fernando to shit on people’s ideas and come up with absolutely nothing insightful himself 👏😂

There’s a defiant group of people on this forum that contribute absolutely zero in terms of helping the team or trying to find the positives in the negatives, whichever way they look it’s moan moan moan, it’s that sort of pessimistic shit that pisses me off.

People wrote Tavares off last season (and also this season) and yet him coming on for just 10 mins in that Preston game last season got us an extra point, a point that allowed us to get into the playoffs, if we hadn’t have tried something different like bringing an unproven youngster in Tavares on in that game we probably wouldn’t have won it. I never said “let’s start Obikwu above all our other strikers” I simply suggested that he may have something in him that others are lacking atm, maybe we could try him for 10 mins at the end of a game just like we did with Tavares last season. I mean how the fuck is he going to contribute less than what Simms/Godden/Wright are currently contributing in the last 10 mins of the game? Quick 5-10 mins of some geezer who’s itching to prove himself, rather than someone like Wright who doesn’t quite know what his job is yet. We’ve got to be more open-minded than we currently are, it’s so dull and predictable, right from the players to the manager to this forum, we need to brighten ourselves up a bit in almost every aspect.
I'll try again - the Preston game wasn't last season. Last season we lost 0-1 at home to them.

skybluecam

People wrote Tavares off last season (and also this season) and yet him coming on for just 10 mins in that Preston game last season got us an extra point if we hadn’t have tried something different like bringing an unproven youngster in Tavares on in that game we probably wouldn’t have won it. I never said “let’s start Obikwu above all our other strikers” I simply suggested that he may have something in him that others are lacking atm, maybe we could try him for 10 mins at the end of a game just like we did with Tavares last season. I mean how the fuck is he going to contribute less than what Simms/Godden/Wright are currently contributing in the last 10 mins of the game? Quick 5-10 mins of some geezer who’s itching to prove himself, rather than someone like Wright who doesn’t quite know what his job is yet. We’ve got to be more open-minded than we currently are, it’s so dull and predictable, right from the players to the manager to this forum, we need to brighten ourselves up a bit in almost every aspect.
Have you ever actually seen Obikwu kick a ball?

BlueSkiesForever

I'll try again - the Preston game wasn't last season. Last season we lost 0-1 at home to them.
Yep yep my bad, old age, corrected myself now 😂 Anyway my point still stands, trying something different got us a point out of what would have been a loss. To those that love taking the piss and love the doom and gloom, I don’t think it’s either nice or helpful having a laugh at someone else’s idea, most of us are just airing thoughts, trying to help us progress, I don’t see the point of being on here if you just want to talk shit about other fans.

Users who are viewing this thread